Dumb Questions Amnesty

Ok so we've all grown up a bit, and acquired knowledge on many, many things over the years. However no matter how clever we all are, there are gaps in knowledge that have been there for so long we're now afraid to ask for fear of looking a bit silly.

So here's the thread where we get to ask those questions without fear of reprisal. And hopefully you'll be able to help someone yourself and they can be grateful you didn't just pull the old "HURRRRR JUST CALL GOOGEL AND ASK THEM" because let's face it, that attitude doesn't get us anywhere.

I'll kick off by asking what antipasto is? I also have no idea what a "degustation menu" is.

1 Like

5:14pm today in Brisbane, xxxxx clothes shop.

“Hi, just on your lunch break?”

I’ll pay more to buy eggs from chickens that are treated humanely, but I don’t hesitate at buying the $1 per litre milk that screws dairy farmers.

Am I a bad person?

3 Likes
what makes labour so painful and what does it feel like.

Not the actual giving birth part but the leadup to it. Is it like really bad cramp in your stomach? or what best describes it?

Pain is hard thing to describe, just like trying to describe colours to someone who cant’ see (been there)…

I will try to put it in the best manner I can, lol.

Imagine swallowing a big watermelon WHOLE, then passing it out the other end WHOLE.

The other girls may have different descriptions but that’s the best example I can come up with.

1 Like

Not the actual giving birth part but the leadup to it. Is it like really bad cramp in your stomach? or what best describes it?

Why in movies and tv, when a woman is giving birth somewhere do they always get someone to run and get a pot of hot or boiling water. What is it for?

Nothing about labour they show on TV is anywhere close to the reality. That whole waters break as the first sign of labour off to hospital. Bull. So why would anything else be real?

Friend of mine had her waters break early Thursday evening. Baby was c-sectioned after midnight Saturday night.

Husband’s answering machine message said “if he’s not out by midnight, we’re going in after him”

2 Likes
Why in movies and tv, when a woman is giving birth somewhere do they always get someone to run and get a pot of hot or boiling water. What is it for?
To make soup with the afterbirth, of course.

It’s old school, from when that was the best way to sterilise forceps & specula & scissors etc.

ahhhh. That makes sense.

Why do you have to sit down for bad news?

1 Like

Nothing about labour they show on TV is anywhere close to the reality. That whole waters break as the first sign of labour off to hospital. Bull. So why would anything else be real?

To make soup with the afterbirth, of course.

It’s old school, from when that was the best way to sterilise forceps & specula & scissors etc.

to wash their hands in ?

Epidural is your friend!

Aren’t they really dangerous though?

Never seen one go pear shaped, but yeah I guess the massive needle into someone’s spine does come with risks.

Epidural is your friend!

Not if down correctly. I ended up with one and it was pretty awesome
If you have a sprained finger, can you use lift straps so that you can still lift and continue on your quest of becoming Muscles?
Yes. For a pulling type of lift (deads, row, pulldown). They won't do anything for a pushing type of lift (bench, shoulder press etc) though. Might be better off on a Smith machine or another type of machine for a couple of weeks.

Can be an annoying type of injury, you can keep re-doing it if you’re not careful, and blow a couple of weeks annoyance into months’ worth.

Went with that. Plenty of pain but using palms over fingers.

Gunna have massive lats end of the month!

Thanks

I'm sorry, gas?
Nitrous "laughing gas" oxide, I think.
Epidural is your friend!

Epidural is your friend!

It’s not so much the pain but more the anxiety,you can do all the deep breathing and relaxation techniques you want but at the end of the day you have to convince yourself that she’s in expert hands and there’s not much you can do to help

Why when there is only crap programs on TV you stay up later to watch a movie that you’ve seen before and know how it ends?

1 Like