Dumb Questions Amnesty

I don’t despise any blitzers

Australian cricketers then

My guys are well settled in now, in a hive like this one they built on River Cottage Oz, … a Kenyan top bar.

These are considered in the Bee Community as the ultimate in natural Bee friendly keeping and harvesting. The “Beez Kneez” if you will, … :smirk:

Just hanging for this Spring to get rolling and for them to feast on freshly blossomed Melaleuca and Blue Gums before a harvest.

But just a word of caution to you Mex,… the Flow Hive, … while an amazing invention of convenience, and an incredible story of Aussie ingenuity, which folk can catch up on here …

…, is unfortunately very frowned upon by much of the Bee Keeping mob, particularly in the Permaculture World, . and I’m talking from mild disdain, to quite feral levels, … so maybe just suss out where they stand on them before asking them around,… they might turn up just to smash it. ( Yes, this has actually happened)

3 Likes

That’s an impressive looking unit. I’m hoping if this 1st trial works well I will build a few more hives myself and that looks like a decent model.

I have heard rhey can be an eccentric and passionate mob so I’ll sound them out first. Cheers for the heads up.

1 Like

Whats the law with car horn usage? Wife and I were having a chat about the fact that people use them as part of their road rage (e.g people cutting in or pulling out in front of them). Is it a fineable offence if caught?

As far as I am aware they are allowed to be used to alert of danger…

I once saw the rapper Ghostface killah, selling counterfeits of his own t-shirts for this reason. He’d just toured through Asia and bought a bunch of knock offs of his own stuff cheaper than he could get it printed and then sold it at the shows. Win/Win.

1 Like

Surely you’re allowed to use them to signify displeasure at someone turning in front of you, or pulling out of a parking spot, or for doing 60-70 in a 100 zone.

Hardly road rage.

I like to think of it as me performing a social service by alerting them to the imminent danger of them about to be farking rammed.

1 Like

Nope.

Just looked at the rules and laws with horns:

Can use only use as a safety or warn road users or animals of the approach of other vehicles.

Or if its attached to anti theft device or alcohol antilock.

The penalty is a loss of 1 demerit point if police deem the use of your car horn doesn’t fit these.

That would cover most situations - no use tooting them after you have passed them.

So foreplay?

Furious-style.

Just verbally abuse them instead. Problem solved. Works when people are tooting at you when they shouldn’t be either :no_mouth:

Fun fact.
The moon gets moonquakes.

Caused by the gravitational pull of the earth. Usually caused during high tides.

1 Like

If I deserved to get tooted, i blush and acknowledge my error.

1 Like

Blush like when you eat half a kilo of one of your hot Indian curries?

If a curry makes your face go red, then you’re a wuss, a wimp and worthy of having sand kicked in your face.

2 Likes

:joy:

Just looking at Google Maps today and this thought occured to me:
Why is the Melbourne CBD grid aligned at one angle, but the rest of Melbourne is generally aligned at a different angle?

I can understand the Melbourne CBD grid angle since it looks like it’s more in line with the Yarra, but it would have been more logical to me if the rest of Melbourne followed along with the CBD grid.

That is a great question - this is an account of what happened but not why.

http://www.emelbourne.net.au/biogs/EM01255b.htm

Suspect the theory of alignment with the river from flinders street is what set the departure from the generally north-south/east-west grid. Assuming that then the change to a generally north-south grid was apparently just planning orthodoxy - hence the difference.

If you look at other early areas, Sandridge (Port Melb) was aligned with the coast whole Sth Melb kept with the Hoddle Grid in alignment as well as orientation. Williamstown bent with the coast with no consistent grid orientation.

The greater Melb grid coincidentally (?) aligns with the angle at which the bedding planes of the Melbourne mudstone intersect the surface - I wonder if that made early tracks any easier to construct on that orientation - but probably just coincidence. Hmmm.

2 Likes