Dumb Questions Amnesty

It was your former colleagues who pinged me!

Could be because they see you as an interloper, not a career diplomat ( the ones who use Canberra as a crash pad in between postings).

1 Like

ā€œWe are Essendonā€ what does it mean?

A bit like the Hotel California. You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave (or whatever they sing )

1 Like

its just a thing to do between royal visits

1 Like

This is actually an interesting one for me.

Iā€™ve had supervisors with a strict no swearing while working rule, and others who are like ā€œ95% of this job is swearing at the computerā€.

Guess it depends.

1 Like

tell the puritans to ā– ā– ā– ā–  off

I use ā– ā– ā– ā–  as a term of endearment. Iā€™m not a good judge on this. Hence the question!

Okay, sorry for getting all heavy on Dragonā€¦
Butā€¦
Isā€¦Speak No Evil about incest?

I thought it was domestic violence. Not sure why, but that was my interpretation.

2 Likes

Is Albanese difficult to pronounce in Japanese?
At a joint presser between Japan and Australian PM ( all very formal) , it was Anthony this, Anthony that from the Japan PM and his interpreter.

the japs pronounced english names the same but just in an accent

Anthony was pronounced the same as we would.
It was the only occasion, in a formal speech, that anyone was referred to by their first name , and then, only by the Japanese side.
Thatā€™s why I asked, is the ā€˜lā€™ in the name an issue in pronunciation ?

Seen quite a few beggars on the streets of Hobart lately. Most too embarrassed to look up and keep theor heads down checking their mobile phones. Got me thinking.
How do some of these , and also the taliban and the like, pay their phone bills?

Prepaid accounts. Some of those services arenā€™t very expensive and no credit required.

Some of the charities give them credits

1 Like

Pretty sure Iā€™ve heard that Japanese never has two consonants adjacent - need to be separated by a vowel. So the -lb- in Japanese may cause trouble. No idea what constraints there are in that rule.

Yep, Jobseekers can also be provided with phones and credit by Jobactive Providers also

1 Like

Shinzo? Honda?

Isnā€™t it that thereā€™s only certain consonants, and some words are sort of synthesised using them?

From the murky depths of my University Japanese learnings! My memory may be wrong on the specifics.

Japanese is made up of two or three letter combinations, not all individuals consonants.

Things like
Ka Ki Ku Ke Ko
Sa Shi Tsu Se So
Ra Ri Ru Re Ro
Plus some individual letters like a, n and i.

There are none starting with L. The R-starting syllables sound somewhere between an English R and an L when spoken.

So a word like Albanese is problematic. If used it would sound something like A Ru Ba Ni Shi. Bit of a mouthful so maybe thatā€™s why they avoided it.

4 Likes