Dumb Questions Amnesty

Righto you lot, got a bit of a situation that I need some advice on.

I decided to leave my gym. Because I changed banks I changed credit cards. I figured I wouldn’t bother giving the gym my new card details because I was leaving the gym anyway and because exit fees and other such expenses are a scam that I don’t feel anyone should pay.

Fast forward a couple of months and now I’m being threatened with debt collectors, two months gym fees, late fees and all that jazz because it’s all in the contract.

I get the impression that I’m gonna have to bite the bullet. Not gonna break the bank but I still think it’s bullshit. Any thoughts?

Is it? If so you’re best to just pay it and move on. Sorry that’s not what you wanted to hear :grinning:

1 Like

Ha ha ha no need to say sorry! Knew it would come to it :broken_heart:

Maybe contact the gym and see if you can meet them half way.

I had this happen a while back, and they agreed that I hadn’t used the gym since I thought I’d cancelled.

We agreed if I paid the extra couple of months (as per the contract) they’d let me train there for a few extra months.

1 Like

Not a bad idea but they won’t be interested. Based on the conversation I had on the phone earlier, they’re just interested in gouging as much cash out of me as they can.

1 Like

indeed

Moral of the story is check the fine print on termination before you sign up.how about you see if they will take an in-advance payment for part of the remaining period in exchange for waiving some of the later outstanding contracted period. They get cash flow but you save money eventually?

I’m going to back this idea.

Of course they want as much as they can get out of you, but they stand to loose if they can’t convince you to pay them directly. A debt collector will keep 50% for themselves, and taking legal action will probably cost them more than they’ll get back, with a risk of losing in court and getting nothing. Not to mention the labour losses of having to attend court. Also, late fees have to be justified if they do chase you legally.

They may take further action if they’re annoyed enough with you, but that will be to satisfy their wounded pride, as they are unlikely to gain more than 50% back at best from it.

If you haven’t used the membership much, then perhaps let them know they’ve been charging for a service you haven’t been using, and that late fees seem excessive in the current economic climate. If you call their bluff, but stay pleasant, you may be able to arrange a payment (or a payment plan) somewhere in the middle (maybe just the 2 months?) - especially if they think they can’t bully you into paying it all.

1 Like

Ok.

Probably a serious question. But there’s no thread for that.

Where do kids get jobs, and is it old school just walk in and ask, or do you apply online?

One of my kids is old enough now to work and he keeps asking where to work, how to get a job etc.

(He’s also asked if watching your friends get drunk is fun? But I think I can cover that one)

1 Like

Depends what sort of job, but if you’re just talking retail…
LMW would just go in to places and drop off her resume.
I know that sounds like stupid out of date advice (hit the pavement), but she’s had quite a few retail jobs and that’s how she’s got all of them.
I assume people still need staff just as much as they did last year…
Asking friends would help, too, I guess.

Edit: But she is very much a people person.

1 Like

Just about every take away, cafe and bakery in my local area has ‘staff wanted’ signs.

A quick walk around the local neighbourhood should do it.

1 Like

Tomorrow we are going to hit the shops, not to apply just yet. But scope out what sort of place he thinks would be ok to work.

If he could get a job at Lego, Hoyts, Eb Games or Timezone, I reckon he’ll be in heaven. Tattoo parlour might be too extreme.

Unfortunately all our friends are in professional work that doesn’t really have casual staff.

2 Likes

Best of luck.
Taught him how to shake hands yet?

2 Likes

Good pick up. A strong confident introduction is a great thing for a young person to learn, handshake, smile, nice to meet you, look the person in the eyes.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t work at a place where you can’t swear. Really, if you’re not using it to denigrate someone or in front of clients, who cares?

2 Likes

cough
…say their name.

1 Like

Agree, it is all about the context.

Ditto

Two weeks in a row, the rubbish truck did not pick up my rubbish bin.
I ran out and checked. Everyone else’s rubbish in the street was collected both times, but they drove by my bin, again.
I feel so neglected.
Do I really exist?
I think I do exist so, I logged a ‘missed bin collection’ on the council website last Tuesday.
Bin night is tonight, for collection early Monday morning.
Chances are, they will drive by the full bin again - (I will let you know tomorrow).
Why is this happening?

Might be terrorism related. Is the Bin Laden?

5 Likes