Dumb Questions Amnesty

This ins't a dumb question (well I don't think it is anyway), but you know how can see things with our eyes, are we really seeing them in the colour that they really exist as or are they completely different and our eyes can only process a certain number of colours.

The first one. Colour is certain frequencies of light, and you have three cones which are responsible for "receiving" different wave lengths, short, medium and long before you brain converts that signal into colour. So actual colour is the combination of these frequencies by the brain, so just how ears will process noise differently for an individual, your eyes will theoretically do the same. Different races of people will potentially have different sensitivities. This is purely a guess, but a race of people who live exclusively in dark, green rainforests can probabably identify a lot more variation in the green spectrum compared to a desert based race. Or cave people, obviously. 

I still don’t know how if a train is late everyone complains? So if there’s a train every ten minutes scheduled, and one train is late by 5 minutes. Then surely some people bonus and get the late train which would in fact be early for them, while some people may be 5 minutes late.

Need to add that I don’t do public transport.

This ins't a dumb question (well I don't think it is anyway), but you know how can see things with our eyes, are we really seeing them in the colour that they really exist as or are they completely different and our eyes can only process a certain number of colours.

I'm pretty sure we don't see the full spectrum of colours.
I know parrots see colours more vividly

I still don't know how if a train is late everyone complains? So if there's a train every ten minutes scheduled, and one train is late by 5 minutes. Then surely some people bonus and get the late train which would in fact be early for them, while some people may be 5 minutes late.
Need to add that I don't do public transport.

It often is that they'll miss a connection...or alternatively, that the next train will be much more crowded...or more usually, people like to complain and say it wasn't like this before privatisation...when it damn well was. People working for statutory bodies in those days had zero urgency in their actions...and there were a lot more strikes too.

I never understood how the stock market works. Like what does a share price actually mean? If one company has shares for 75.40 and another for 9.40 which is worth a better investment? And what dictates shares going up or down?

I get how the market works, but what gets me is when one company reports a loss and its price goes up, and another reports a bigger than ever profit and its price goes down. It makes you think a lot of market analysts are gambling.

But in your example, the actual quantum of the price is not that relevant. It's the market capitalisation (price x number of shares) and it's the percentage increases or decreases.

Often, companies' share prices will go up so high that they'll think a lot of people will be put off from buying any, so they'll issue a lot more shares...say issuing a 4 for 1 rights issue means you have 5 times as many shares as before, so in the first instance the price will divide by 5 or thereabouts.

I never understood how the stock market works. Like what does a share price actually mean? If one company has shares for 75.40 and another for 9.40 which is worth a better investment? And what dictates shares going up or down?

I get how the market works, but what gets me is when one company reports a loss and its price goes up, and another reports a bigger than ever profit and its price goes down. It makes you think a lot of market analysts are gambling.

But in your example, the actual quantum of the price is not that relevant. It's the market capitalisation (price x number of shares) and it's the percentage increases or decreases.

Often, companies' share prices will go up so high that they'll think a lot of people will be put off from buying any, so they'll issue a lot more shares...say issuing a 4 for 1 rights issue means you have 5 times as many shares as before, so in the first instance the price will divide by 5 or thereabouts.

This. The share price is only important if you know how many shares are actually on offer. 1 dollar share price with a billion shares is a billion dollar company - 1 dollar share price with 1000 shares.. 

Also market cap doesnt take into account debt, so thats a trick. 

This. The share price is only important if you know how many shares are actually on offer. 1 dollar share price with a billion shares is a billion dollar company - 1 dollar share price with 1000 shares.. 

How does the share market differ to the bond market?

what was it exactly that Meatloaf wouldn't do?

Why so pedestrians press the button SO many times at the lights? Do they think the computer that activates the walk sign will think there’s 50 odd people desperately trying to cross?

why is Sn**ch another word for Va***a? I just don't get it

No way of knowing for sure, is there?

Ever tried describing the colour of something to a blind person?

Does my bum look big in this?

Is thunder really Giants bowling?

Why so pedestrians press the button SO many times at the lights? Do they think the computer that activates the walk sign will think there's 50 odd people desperately trying to cross?

People are comforted by the illusion of control. Same line of thinking as belief in superstition - "if I do [x], it will affect the outcome of [y]"

Why so pedestrians press the button SO many times at the lights? Do they think the computer that activates the walk sign will think there's 50 odd people desperately trying to cross?

Not exactly related, but apparently in many lifts the 'close doors' button isn't actually connected to anything. I asked someone who works in hotel maintenance and he said that it's just there so that impatient people can feel like they have control over when the doors will close. That way they can bash at the button that doesn't do anything and not break the others.

Maybe someone on here knows if this is really true?

How does the share market differ to the bond market?

Pretty sure the bond market is made up of various bodies (generally government, municipal or company) borrowing money and promising to pay regular interest payments on it...and redeem it at maturity.

The counter-intuitive thing is that if yields go up, then the price of the bond comes down and vice versa....because if the borrowing was done at 5% pa, but interest rates are now at 6%, you're not going to want to pay full price for the bond...you need to pay less than 100% of par.

Most investment in the bond market now seems to be in large volumes and betting on very small variances in yield rates...called arbitrage. You want to buy at one price and get out quickly when the yield movement is favourable to you. Problem is you can make a lot by leveraging, but equally, you can lose a lot too. It's a zero-sum game.

The old days when old fogies like me used to buy 6% NT Government bonds are over. I'd have to ask buggy why. Statutory bodies like Gas and Fuel, MMBW etc used to issue their own bonds to raise money. Still happens a lot in the US though it seems.

Interest rates and yields vary on economic data...or fear...or greed.

People are comforted by the illusion of control. Same line of thinking as belief in superstition - "if I do [x], it will affect the outcome of [y]"

Or religion.

Not exactly related, but apparently in many lifts the 'close doors' button isn't actually connected to anything. I asked someone who works in hotel maintenance and he said that it's just there so that impatient people can feel like they have control over when the doors will close. That way they can bash at the button that doesn't do anything and not break the others.

Maybe someone on here knows if this is really true?

true... but whats really fun is when you run a really BIG hotel with a lot of lifts you get to go up and down in them all day, and you learn to time pushing the "close doors" button just before they close nominally 4 seconds and the guests always, always go.. wtf how come that never works for me... lol

Does the "close door" button in lifts actually do anything? Or is it to trick me into thinking I have control?

Wikipedia has a page on this button thing.

A placebo button

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo_button

Despite media reports to the contrary,[1][4] "door close" buttons in elevators are not placebo buttons in the common sense. This myth has been popularized in part because, during automatic (normal) operation of passenger elevators, the "door close" button often has no observable effect. However, the button is not added simply as a placebo. A functional "door close" button is required by elevator code (ASME A17.1, Requirements 2.27.3.3, "Phase II Emergency In-Car Operation").Template:Globalise-inline For firefighters and rescue personnel to open or close elevator doors during emergency operation, the "door open" and "door close" buttons must be pressed continuously until the door is opened or closed respectively. An elevator with a non-working "door close" button would receive a violation during a routine inspection and test of fire service. Much like the "door close" button, the "call cancel" button is normally not functional during automatic operation, but allows firefighters to change the destination of the elevator mid-flight during emergency service.