Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

By allowing the young player, Fletcher, to play overseas James Hird lacks leadership and is making it all about himself. His deluded followers are almost cult like in their support of this man.

The first game Fletch plays after June the 24th, 2018, he will officially become the oldest man to play AFL/VFL football.

Vic Cumberland was 43 years and 48 days when he played his last match for the Saints in 1920.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-daniher-brothers-jim-stynes-tony-lockett-glenn-mcfarlane-lists-10-footy-records-that-will-never-be-broken/story-fni5ezdm-1226860211290 

The first game Fletch plays after June the 24th, 2018, he will officially become the oldest man to play AFL/VFL football.

Vic Cumberland was 43 years and 48 days when he played his last match for the Saints in 1920.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-daniher-brothers-jim-stynes-tony-lockett-glenn-mcfarlane-lists-10-footy-records-that-will-never-be-broken/story-fni5ezdm-1226860211290 

If he plays Round 1 next year he will move into outright 2nd, and after about round 3 he will become the longest serving VFL/AFL player ever (currently 2nd behind Cumberland)

And, given Cumberland stopped in 1915 and resumed in 1920 it is fair to assume WWI had a bit to do with him playing at all at that age - extraordinary circumstances.

Which makes Fletch even more special.

All players who have completed 10 seasons with their club are eligible to be placed on the veterans list, and there is no age requirement for qualification.

Clubs are then able to pay a fixed amount per veteran – $118,380 in 2014 – outside the salary cap.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-08/the-veterans-list

Does this mean we should be able to pay Fletch $236,760 outside the salary cap, given he has been a veteran for 12 years!

He should qualify twice at least after 22 yeas of service, entering his 23rd year in 2015.

I wonder how many 1 year contracts he has been on? 

i reckon he doesn’t want to be selfish and everyone else in the football world wants him to be selfish.

Dustin turns 40 on the 7th of May… 2-weeks from today.
Recommendations for a celebration?

Just checked - The 7th of May is a Thursday sandwiched between two away games.

What I’d like to see:
E.F.C. put on a day for members to celebrate with a legend who has given the club 22+ years of service.

*Maybe Thursday morning 7th of May as the team are playing in Perth Saturday evening.

Next year will be the first time since 1984 we’ve started the year without an Essendon premiership player on the list.

They should get him out on the ground at half time to kick a couple of barrels from the goal square one last time.

We have a 400 gamer who might be playing his last game this week and we’ve heard diddly…

I have a suspicion if he doesn’t play this week he’ll be back next year.

If he does hang up the boots it’ll be a sad year all round.

Yep, Marketing department have been ultra quiet. Dare say they’re sweating on the Friday session.

He couldn’t possibly go around again, could he?

Based on what i have heard i’d be shocked if he plays next year. I think fletch is deciding whether he is prepared to start as sub because that is the only way he is going to get through a game.

I for one hope he decides to play even if it is with the vest and only for a quarter.

whatever he and the club decide rest assured caro will criticize us for it.

If he can sort out these groins he could, he certainly didn’t put too many extra miles on the clock this year, and until he was injured, he looked as good as ever.
Might depend on what it would take to fix them & if he would be up for an op & rehab at this point, if thats what it would take.

Do a giant pissup at Windy Hill on Grand Final day for him instead. 400 even. ■■■■ you AFL banners hanging from the bowls club and hird stand.

Hidden near the bottom of this article it says Fketcher didn’t train today (or at least not full training):

Hidden near the bottom of this article it says Fketcher didn't train today (or at least not full training):

http://m.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015-09-01/tom-takes-to-the-track

Is just ticking over in the hope of playing for Australia v Ireland. Doubt very much he will play this week.

Based on what i have heard i'd be shocked if he plays next year. I think fletch is deciding whether he is prepared to start as sub because that is the only way he is going to get through a game.

I for one hope he decides to play even if it is with the vest and only for a quarter.

whatever he and the club decide rest assured caro will criticize us for it.

Start him on the ground, sub him off at quarter time, he can just cruise the boundary high fiving people for the rest of the game.

Never played on the oppositions best forward.

Start him on the ground, sub him off at quarter time, he can just cruise the boundary high fiving people for the rest of the game.
Awesome. But you just know a security guard would take him down for disrupting the game, and we'd be charged with bringing the game into disrepute for 1) enjoying ourselves and 2) killing said guard.

Its Over.

400!

Stevo on 7News has the Exclusive!

No Last Game For Fletch!