Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

lol, poor K-ent Kingsley gets no respect even BBlitz calls him Clark.

i tried to call him by his actual name, but it changes it to clark :D

The most important player the EFC has ever had!  genuine Superstar!

And over the years has been the hardest to replace. Anecdotally I think we lost more games when Fletcher was out than any other player and that includes Hird Lloyd Watson. We just couldn't seem to cover his loss.
Last year was the first year that I have thought that we have a back six that can cover if he is not there. Only taken twenty years.

Is he the only player to play against 18 teams?

Took me a while to realise you weren't referring to University.

19 teams. Add Fitzroy to the mix.

I was including Fitzroy.

18 current teams plus Fitzroy (he hasn't played against Essendon yet)

One could argue he has, would've played plenty of intra club games over the years.

Never understood how that spud Clark Kingsley used to beat him all the time.

Because we were a ■■■■ team at the time, and Fletcher would contest the ball and try and help his teammates out.

Usually someone would then turnover it over and Kingsley would be waiting in the goalsquare for the cheapie over the top.

Fletcher also holds the record of being the most watched AFL footballer of all time, with a cumulative attendance of 18,271,064 spectators at matches in which he has played from 1993 to 2013. 

At the risk of being incredibly unpopular in this thread, surely this can't be right? Anyone who played 300+ games and a lot of finals in the 70s would have him beat, no? That was the era of blatant disregard for spectator safety and crowds that reached 120,000+, and no games against poorly-supported interstate teams in front of 15,000.

I'd like to know how many Bruce Doull played in front of.

Fletcher also holds the record of being the most watched AFL footballer of all time, with a cumulative attendance of 18,271,064 spectators at matches in which he has played from 1993 to 2013. 

At the risk of being incredibly unpopular in this thread, surely this can't be right? Anyone who played 300+ games and a lot of finals in the 70s would have him beat, no? That was the era of blatant disregard for spectator safety and crowds that reached 120,000+, and no games against poorly-supported interstate teams in front of 15,000.

The suburban home ground capacity wasn't as high though.

home and away crowds substantially lower, see:

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/summary.html

And that only happened once.

Plus the only times we had those sort of enormous crowds was the 70s and 80's (as you pointed out) and the most successful teams would have been Richmond, Hawthorn and Carlton. Tuck and Bartlett played 400+ games but alot at small suburban grounds, Doull played 376 (I think) and would be in the same boat.

Dustin Fletcher IS football. Class, courage, versatility, durability, passion, leadership and humility.

And kicks fully sick long bomb goals from 70.

And that only happened once.

Plus the only times we had those sort of enormous crowds was the 70s and 80's (as you pointed out) and the most successful teams would have been Richmond, Hawthorn and Carlton. Tuck and Bartlett played 400+ games but alot at small suburban grounds, Doull played 376 (I think) and would be in the same boat.

Thats what I was thinking "crowds" is a bit generous.

Would kick 30 off the flank this year.

Have a shot!

Exactly right. If he marks it anywhere near the 50m arc, he's a chance. Lets say he take 3-4 marks just outside 50, you could write him down for at least a goal or two.

Some of the players he has played again over the years:

Lockett
Dunstall
Carey
Ablett
Fevola
Gehrig
Kernahan
Clark Kingsley 
Johnathon Brown
Bradshaw
Richo
Jarman
Franklin
Phillip Matera
Betts
Garlett
Milne
Sav Rocca
Anthony Rocco
Scott Cummings
Pavlich
Barry Hall
Micki O
Brett Heady
Chris Grant

These are just some of the top of my head.

Some he has played against once or twice, some countless times. The man imo is the greatest player i have seen play the game. Logevity,consistency, just an all round star. If people outside the club don't recognise him as one of the all time greats than that is there loss- and they clearly don't know jack S*** about football

That's a fair list.
If I hear any of the commentators say, as they often do, "Yeah, but he never gets the best forward does he?" I will fair dinkum scream.
He has not only taken the best forwards throughout his career, he has done it many times and rarely been beaten. He has also had the versatility to play on the tall, the short, the strong, the quick, the athletic, the freakish as well as the duds. Again, rarely beaten. Champion does not do him justice. He is an absolute legend of the club and the code.
Have a great year Fletch.

I also want to scream every-time someone calls him a thug in relation to the tripping offences.... like he's a Campbell Brown or something...

Remember the Carlton draw when Winders and Demps went down in the first qtr a couple of years back, I have never seen one man repel so many forward thrusts and whenever I think about the Gartlett run down I still get emotional.

Didn't he also roost one home from the centre-square that day too, during the 2nd qtr? Or was that a different blues game... can't remember.

Remember the Carlton draw when Winders and Demps went down in the first qtr a couple of years back, I have never seen one man repel so many forward thrusts and whenever I think about the Gartlett run down I still get emotional.

Didn't he also roost one home from the centre-square that day too, during the 2nd qtr? Or was that a different blues game... can't remember.

I thought he did roost one from the Center square in the game I think 2012 when Sammy Lonergan smashed Turnover into the ground and Fletch gave Henderson a bath.

Actually, the goal may have been in 2011 and he gave Henderson a bath (and Henderson got jeered by Carlton supporters when subbed out). Lonergan was 2012.

Exactly right. If he marks it anywhere near the 50m arc, he's a chance. Lets say he take 3-4 marks just outside 50, you could write him down for at least a goal or two.

I was talking about the back flank ;)

The suburban home ground capacity wasn't as high though.

Even though it doesn't really count you can surely add TV coverage for the amount of people watching Fletcher.

I wonder what the average amount of TV views a game would get

11,687,013. No, really!

Fletcher is MILLIONS ahead of the next best (Bartlett).

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/summary.html#04

If he hadn't been suspended for some ridiculous misdemeanors he may have been going for the all time record this year.

True, except for "misdemeanours" you should have wrote "fabricated charges".