Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

Thanks for the memories Fletch,EFC legend!!

My lasting memory will be the second half of the 93 prelim where he recovered from a first half mauling from Godra, got on top and executed a couple of those last minute saves that were to become his trademark.

Anyone know if any of his kids have the interest/skill to make it at AFL level?

The only guy i have ever seen who can hit a guy lace out on the chest 50m away off of one step.

Always loved too get involved in scuffles and melee’s as well.

The guy was great at everything.

Hell yeah! Check out the James Hird Academy.

My favourite memory of Fletch was during the 93 GF. Kernahan takes a mark on the lead, Fletch does a fairly crude spoil attempt and ends up on the ground. Kernahan stands over him and fakes to hit him while he’s down. Fletch looks up at him, sticks out his chin as if to say “give it your best shot…nope, didn’t think so”, and then calmly gets up and mans the mark. Could tell straight away he had some real spirit in him.

Love the bloke.

Is there going to be some kind of send off for him on Sunday?

Fark. Just dawned on me he’s been there my entire life. ■■■■■■ legend.

Full respect to Davey as a footballer, but geez it was a good idea to get him to 100 games.

Full respect to Davey as a footballer, but geez it was a good idea to get him to 100 games.

AFL will bring in a rule to say it’s 100 games per kid, so Davey would’ve needed 400 games!

I’m farking ■■■■■■ he couldn’t overtake KB on the all time list, ■■■■■■ stuck in 4th place :frowning:

How good is that Farewell Fletch video on the club website? Geez; I will miss him. Absolute legend and the one player opposition supporters consistently went out of their way to praise to me.

I saw his dad Ken play too, so hopefully in about four years time I can watch my third generation of Fletchers trot out for the mighty Bombers!

Cut down by injury far too soon.

Will be missed by one and all. A true legend of Essendon FC

Thanks for the memories Fletch.

Was a steadying influence on supporters, as well as players. Capable of amazing acts of contortionism while also being unwavering in his dependability.

He just went about his business with a minimum of fuss on & off the field. The word champion gets thrown around a lot these days, but the title fits him well.

His run down on Jeffy was a recent favourite moment but I can still picture him slouched while standing some of the all time great full forwards Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett etc.

I just realised that I was there for so many of his long bomb goals & there is now no more players on the list older than me. That’s a big generational shift for me.

Will miss him immensely, good luck big fella, enjoy some real quite time.

PS. “HAVE A SHOT FLETCH!!!”

As kid I watched Ken “the racehorse” Fletcher at windy hill in a dark efc era. I was lucky enough to see Dustin win in 93 & 2000. He represented all that was(is?) good about football. Skill, application, honesty, no media savvy corporate bullshit. Went out on the ground and did his job in a way none have bettered, without fuss.

A true ornament to the game. Legend.

Best wishes Fletch. Bring on the next generations!

Outstanding service to our club.

Thanks for the memories and some wonderful moments Fletch.

An outstanding player for the EFC. One of the most consistent players I’ve ever seen don the red & black.
The absolute pillar of defense if ever there was one. If there ever were a stat for goals saved, surely he’d be the Gordan Coventry of guys down back? Congratulations on a truly wonderful career Dustin.

:((((
Champion person and footballer.

Not sure what to think about this. Every post a winner? More dollars than sense?? Over the top, … or Ok Coz it’s Fletch?

Not into this stuff as a rule, but if there’s one thing to have on the wall, it would be the photo board of the big moments, but how it’s worth $700 dollarinos, I can’t quite figure.

Was a steadying influence on supporters, as well as players. Capable of amazing acts of contortionism while also being unwavering in his dependability.

He just went about his business with a minimum of fuss on & off the field. The word champion gets thrown around a lot these days, but the title fits him well.

His run down on Jeffy was a recent favourite moment but I can still picture him slouched while standing some of the all time great full forwards Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett etc.

I just realised that I was there for so many of his long bomb goals & there is now no more players on the list older than me. That’s a big generational shift for me.

Will miss him immensely, good luck big fella, enjoy some real quite time.

PS. “HAVE A SHOT FLETCH!!!”

How many times have we all said that .