Easton Wood Speaks Out On Gambling In Sport

This has been a bug bear of mine for while and it was surprising and refreshing to see I’m not alone.

2 Likes

Someone’s going to be smacked down by the AFLs sponsor management team…

Good on him. First time I can think of ANYONE inside the AFL machine calling out the hypocrisy and sliminess of this sort of thing.

1 Like

I bet you it won’t change.

1 Like

Also today the AFLPA have appointed someone to ‘manage’ this problem. David Schwartz, who had demons of his own in this space and now helps others deal with it, had some very interesting thoughts.

What will Gill have to say about this? The AFL have invited gambling on the AFL, there is plenty of advertising on the coverage, and while things are changing slowly, the pokies are still providing millions to all AFL clubs bar North.

I think we are phasing them out IIRC.

What will Gill have to say about this? The AFL have invited gambling on the AFL, there is plenty of advertising on the coverage, and while things are changing slowly, the pokies are still providing millions to all AFL clubs bar North.

Hope not, it’s money for jam.
Someone has to own the pokies, I’d rather a sporting club owns them and benefits from the profit than some hotel baron collecting profits for himself only

We aren’t phasing them out, but we are looking for revenue streams to replace them eventually.

Someone has to own the pokies, I’d rather a sporting club owns them and benefits from the profit than some hotel baron collecting profits for himself only

We aren’t phasing them out, but we are looking for revenue streams to replace them eventually.

It’s a bit of a prisoners’ dilemma.

I don’t think any club actually LIKES running gambling dens (except probably Carlton, because they’re cunts). But pokies are really good at making money* without the overhead or uncertainty of the few other money-making schemes (property development, for one) that return the same sort of revenues.

The club that steps out of pokies willingly is hamstringing themselves against the clubs that keep running them. The only way to get out is if everyone agrees to get out (or is compelled by the AFL or govt to get out) simultaneously.

• more accurate translation: really good at separating poor sad sacks, pensioners, and addicts from the money they need to live a decent life & take care of their family

I’m really not fussed about the pokies.

For me it’s far more about the normalisation of gambling in footy broadcasts and media in particular.

2 Likes

Sweep, sweep, sweep
Deflect, deflect, deflect
drugs, drugs, drugs
Essendon are bad

I'm really not fussed about the pokies.

For me it’s far more about the normalisation of gambling in footy broadcasts and media in particular.

Agree there.
I dont have a problem with gambling but the over the top advertising of it during sporting events would definitely lure vulnerable people in and needs to be phased out

I learnt years ago to block out advertising when watching tv or the like. Doubt the advertising industry likes me watching tv.

I farkin hate it.

Goes up in the respect department.

Agree there.
I dont have a problem with gambling but the over the top advertising of it during sporting events would definitely lure vulnerable people in and needs to be phased out

It’s not only the wall to wall gambling ads during broadcasts. Often Richmond station is covered in betting agency ads, then you walk into the ground and are faced with the same ads plastered across every vertical surface and scoreboard.
I don’t pretend to know what effect it has on young kids’ attitudes towards the relationship between sport and gambling, but it probably isn’t good.

Agree there.

It’s not only the wall to wall gambling ads during broadcasts. Often Richmond station is covered in betting agency ads, then you walk into the ground and are faced with the same ads plastered across every vertical surface and scoreboard.
I don’t pretend to know what effect it has on young kids’ attitudes towards the relationship between sport and gambling, but it probably isn’t good.

It really isn’t. My kids are grown up but a friends young nephew was telling his non gambling dad the game day odds and that he should ‘get on’

It’s just seen as part of footy, you can’t escape it. It’s everywhere and it’s wrong.

I know people that hate watching sports, still have about 5-6 muilties going a week. Gambling is insidious but i don’t feel that much pity for the people caught up in betting apps.

Surely people are mature enough to make their own decisions - There is advertising in every nook and cranny of life - You need to get to used it and to switch off.

Surely people are mature enough to make their own decisions - There is advertising in every nook and cranny of life - You need to get to used it and to switch off.

Sure, adults are. But these adds are grooming kids.

If advertising didn't make people decide to do things they otherwise wouldn't what would be the point?