Eddie Park

Look, can we finally do this, and have 2 seperate games of football played simultaneously.

Imagine the atmosphere ?
Like multi ball at the Pinnies, only better !

We need to go deeper

https://www.w3.org/Talks/2012/0416-CSS-WWW2012/Demos/images/perspectives/3d_axes.jpg

So when the big men fly, they’ll be forced to do so in the fourth dimension, and time travel?

Dis gonna be messy.

Richmond have now proposed a 40k stadium at Punt Road Oval. Whilst I still don’t think putting another large AFL specific stadium in that precinct is a good idea at all, it is a drastically more appealing option than Eddie’s proposal if they did go through and pick one.

Punt Road proposal key differences:

• Doesn’t require selling Etihad Stadium

• Hisense Arena stays as is

• 40k stadium instead of 60k

• Richmond station renovation instead of rebuild underground

• It doesn’t involve Eddie McGuire

My favourite part of that proposal is that it has not been described as a “boutique” stadium.

Yeah Punt Rd would cause the least amount of disruption to existing infrastructure. The upgrade to Richmond station is probably required regardless. The only issue I would have if you’ve got a game at the 'G and Punt Rd at the exact same time, the carpark at the 'G would be absolutely choc-a-block and getting a train after the game would make that Richmond precinct very congested indeed. If they staggered the games, maybe have the early kick-off at PR and the mid-arvo or night game at the 'G…

My favourite part of that proposal is that it has not been described as a "boutique" stadium.

Is this one an “artisan” stadium?

Yeah Punt Rd would cause the least amount of disruption to existing infrastructure. The upgrade to Richmond station is probably required regardless. The only issue I would have if you've got a game at the 'G and Punt Rd at the exact same time, the carpark at the 'G would be absolutely choc-a-block and getting a train after the game would make that Richmond precinct very congested indeed. If they staggered the games, maybe have the early kick-off at PR and the mid-arvo or night game at the 'G...

Part of the artist renderings that have been published show that a reasonable chunk of the car park grass land that sits between the G and Punt road would be turned into a paved court area for which I imagine would be similar to the space between Staples Centre in LA and the Nokia Theatre/Ritz-Carlton Hotel etc. They could turn it into a bit more of an social precinct. So if they do take car parking away I imagine the car crush exiting would be better (less cars).

But you are right about the traffic congestion for the train station. The issue with Richmond station doesn’t really have anything to do with the structure of it or being above ground, it just has to do with the fact there are not enough trains on each line frequently enough. If they invested in a higher volume of trains on the Cranbourne, Pakenham and Frankston lines then I think you would see a better flow of traffic there. At the moment people know that trains come every 10 mins so they cram on because they don’t want to wait. If you had trains running every 3-5 min like a lot of the mega cities do then I think it would probably be better.

The crazy thing I don’t get about government lobbying for the general population to be more eco-friendly and take public transport is that people probably would if they actually made it a pleasant experience, or in Melbourne’s case, a less-awful experience than what it is right now, but they don’t do anything meaningful about it.

If Richmond isn’t already ■■■■■■, it’ll be absolutely destroyed after this.

Listening to fat Head on the radio this morning, this is further advanced than you’d think. And who’s in on it? Gil, Fitzpatrick, Walker and co. Already meeting with the PM Ffs.

Afl wanting to buy land around all the ring roads and set up schools and medical centres as some kind of land bank.

Sounds like they’ll sell the idea to footy fans to buy more memberships to support their goals.

It ain’t about football, it’s about getting the AFL out of debt, and getting all the old boys pockets full of our cash.

Yeah Punt Rd would cause the least amount of disruption to existing infrastructure. The upgrade to Richmond station is probably required regardless. The only issue I would have if you've got a game at the 'G and Punt Rd at the exact same time, the carpark at the 'G would be absolutely choc-a-block and getting a train after the game would make that Richmond precinct very congested indeed. If they staggered the games, maybe have the early kick-off at PR and the mid-arvo or night game at the 'G...

Part of the artist renderings that have been published show that a reasonable chunk of the car park grass land that sits between the G and Punt road would be turned into a paved court area for which I imagine would be similar to the space between Staples Centre in LA and the Nokia Theatre/Ritz-Carlton Hotel etc. They could turn it into a bit more of an social precinct. So if they do take car parking away I imagine the car crush exiting would be better (less cars).

But you are right about the traffic congestion for the train station. The issue with Richmond station doesn’t really have anything to do with the structure of it or being above ground, it just has to do with the fact there are not enough trains on each line frequently enough. If they invested in a higher volume of trains on the Cranbourne, Pakenham and Frankston lines then I think you would see a better flow of traffic there. At the moment people know that trains come every 10 mins so they cram on because they don’t want to wait. If you had trains running every 3-5 min like a lot of the mega cities do then I think it would probably be better.

The crazy thing I don’t get about government lobbying for the general population to be more eco-friendly and take public transport is that people probably would if they actually made it a pleasant experience, or in Melbourne’s case, a less-awful experience than what it is right now, but they don’t do anything meaningful about it.

Absolutely. That’s why I’ve not really bought into the MetroRail link and the 2nd City Loop system. Yeah maybe it would be of benefit, but how about instead of building a new rail network, fix the existing one? Everything from the track to signalling equipment is ancient, it’s no wonder it breaks down so often. The fleet of trains on the North Western lines are a disgrace. Now that I live in Essendon the pieces of ■■■■ they have on the Craigieburn line compared to the newer trains that frequent the Lilydale/Belgrave lines, where I grew up, it’s just not good enough. As much as I’m warming to the idea to a 3rd AFL venue in Melbourne, how people get there is a massive consideration.

Not like anyone visits the Botanic Gardens. We dont need them as a city. Pure wasted space and within walking distance from Flinders St Station. Every train line goes there already. Trams run past too not to mention you can get a horse and carraige ride from a carnie and his wildly abused animal on Swanston St.

We can future proof it by building more than one ground. A boutique stadium that still sits 100k+ and then either on top or underneath (next door if you have to although it would take away valuable parking).

If that isnt possible I would like to see a ground built that seats no one at all but you can have the noise piped in. They can put big screens around the outside so people can see what is happening inside or leave it purely for TV audiences.

If that isnt possible I would like to see a ground built that seats no one at all but you can have the noise piped in. They can put big screens around the outside so people can see what is happening inside or leave it purely for TV audiences.

Whoa. Like a football field sound stage? Awesome.

Kinda reminds me of a futuristic vision I had a few years ago. I imagined a bulit for purpose “Away” stadium, which would be half size & hold up to maybe 20, 000 head.

The interstate game would be piped in live, & depicted in 3D holographically on the half size ground, and the live crowd noise of the away supporters going off head when the likes of Walla, Long, Connor, Crowley, MoJo, pull out some magic, piped directly to the loudspeakers at the live game ground, to offset the home ground crowd influence on players … and Umpires.

2150, here we come.

I like my stadiums bespoke.

Kinda reminds me of a futuristic vision I had a few years ago. I imagined a bulit for purpose "Away" stadium, which would be half size & hold up to maybe 20, 000 head.

The interstate game would be piped in live, & depicted in 3D holographically on the half size ground, and the live crowd noise of the away supporters going off head when the likes of Walla, Long, Connor, Crowley, MoJo, pull out some magic, piped directly to the loudspeakers at the live game ground, to offset the home ground crowd influence on players … and Umpires.

2150, here we come.

Must be pretty good shrooms down your way.

Agree with most in here that for any of the proposals to work there need to be drastic upgrades to public transport first - there’s no point in building new stadiums near pt if the whole system is on the verge of collapse.

Melbourne metro is a big part of that as it is the circuit breaker which allows trains to run much more frequently on all lines, but you also need to upgrade all the signaling, replace the crumbling infrastructure and increase the numbers of rolling stock by about 200pc. Oh, and you need to build new train lines to Rowville, Doncaster, Tullamarine, and extend about 4 others.

So I’m looking forward to our new stadium, to be completed long after we’re all dead.

Agree with most in here that for any of the proposals to work there need to be drastic upgrades to public transport first - there's no point in building new stadiums near pt if the whole system is on the verge of collapse.

Melbourne metro is a big part of that as it is the circuit breaker which allows trains to run much more frequently on all lines, but you also need to upgrade all the signaling, replace the crumbling infrastructure and increase the numbers of rolling stock by about 200pc. Oh, and you need to build new train lines to Rowville, Doncaster, Tullamarine, and extend about 4 others.

So I’m looking forward to our new stadium, to be completed long after we’re all dead.

hahahahaha
and in what universe do we lay down groundwork before building infrastructure that transforms the city?
The one where we build a single farking lane funnelling 5 others from North to South over the city, charge the farking drivers for it, extend the contract to charge these drivers, then announce a farkin 18 MONTH ‘inconvenience’ as another single lane is added (to accommodate another two lanes into the funnel) and still FARKIN CHARGE DRIVERS OVER THAT 18 MONTHS???

As you sit there on the farkin bridge, slowly watching the day go by, listening to fabricated news and other farking crap on the radio, and creep under that overhead, listening to 3 or 4 beeps coming out of that farking little white box on your window - you know, the one you had to FARKING PAY FOR, consider that anything done in this city is done for short term profit and farking votes. farkeddieaflcarltonport

Agree with most in here that for any of the proposals to work there need to be drastic upgrades to public transport first - there's no point in building new stadiums near pt if the whole system is on the verge of collapse.

hahahahaha
and in what universe do we lay down groundwork before building infrastructure that transforms the city?
The one where we build a single farking lane funnelling 5 others from North to South over the city, charge the farking drivers for it, extend the contract to charge these drivers, then announce a farkin 18 MONTH ‘inconvenience’ as another single lane is added (to accommodate another two lanes into the funnel) and still FARKIN CHARGE DRIVERS OVER THAT 18 MONTHS???

As you sit there on the farkin bridge, slowly watching the day go by, listening to fabricated news and other farking crap on the radio, and creep under that overhead, listening to 3 or 4 beeps coming out of that farking little white box on your window - you know, the one you had to FARKING PAY FOR, consider that anything done in this city is done for short term profit and farking votes. farkeddieaflcarltonport

Testify brother.

I like my stadiums bespoke.

Small batch, single origin, vegan, activated, organic, artisan boutique bespoke stadiums.

So Melbourne.

What’s the business case to redevelop Punt Road?

Like Geelong, it’s not a replacement for anything, just something for Government to spend hundreds of millions on, for ten money-drawing events a year if they’re lucky.

My favourite part of that proposal is that it has not been described as a "boutique" stadium.
They call them "craft" stadiums now

Edit: way too slow on that joke. Back to livejasmin then…