EFC Active Area now on sale

Hey guys,

Thanks for the discussion on this a few months ago (http://bomberblitz.com/discussion/discussion/2108/active-support-we-are-essendon#latest).

Based on the feeback and some internal discussions, we’ve just launched a new Active Area membership here: http://membership.essendonfc.com.au/packages/view/389/Flexi_Home_and_Away_Active_Area

Basically, the cheer squad will take up the first 6 rows and the remaining rows behind them will be this Active Area. It’s an exclusive access GA section, which means that only the people that buy into it will have access to it, but the seating is GA instead of reserved. Thus, if you have a regular GA membership, you won’t have access to this bay - only the 200ish people that buy into it will be able to access it. By doing this, we have the same people in that section each game - people that want to actively cheer, coordinate chants, produce tifo, etc.

We’re also looking for a capo of sorts for this section, so if you are interested in playing that role, send me a note. We’re not trying to turn the crowd into a soccer-style crowd, but a little bit of organization around banners and chants helps make it all run. And we’re not looking to feed this group with what we want them to do. As the Blitzers involved in StandByHird and BackOurBoys can attest, I’m all for fan-led atmosphere.

The capo (or maybe it’s 3-4 people as part of a committee) would meet with the club regularly to plan around game days - a good example of this might be Fletch’s 400th (knock on wood) where we’d work together to properly commemorate the milestone.

Good imitative. I think our cheer squad is just about the quietest in the comp. Hopefully this initiative will improve that situation.

Great idea Ryan. Love the initiative, hopefully it’s well supported. I’m in High Mark area at the cheer squad end at Etihad and would love to see that whole end a sea of red and black. It does annoy me that quite often, opposition supporters get into seats in EFC High Mark area regularly too but I guess this is a great start. By the way, the Members scarf this year is the best ever. Great work by the club.

Allow alcohol in that section! It will sure get rowdy. Make sure the Grog squad is behind it aswell!

We're not trying to turn the crowd into a soccer-style crowd

Shame, I was expecting a complimentary vuvuzela and sixpack of flares with the membership. :slight_smile:

Onya Ryan, out of curiosity do any other clubs doing/already have similar to this?

Quoted Post

Good imitative. I think our cheer squad is just about the quietest in the comp. Hopefully this initiative will improve that situation.
Even the cheer squad turn around and smile when the grog squad is in full song ! Reserved seating in the sedate parts of the stadium just dont cut it in terms of ambiance from our fans in the cheer squad .. ! But I have to say the grog squad is probably an adults only gig.

what does tifo stand for?

They should be trying to make it a soccer style crowd… And I don’t mean with the flares and riots haha

One thing I reckon we need is a more visually impressive behind the goal area, in terms of better flags/banners and more colour in general. Have been thinking that blitz could put in in that regard to help design some decent banners.

Pre req for joining the capo group is being able to do ‘We Are Essendon’ properly, without speeding it up.

Good stuff. I wanna do it, but I hate watching (if you can call it that) footy at ground level.

Someone give me a job and place to stay in melb and il get every home game fkn shaking

Quoted Post

Someone give me a job and place to stay in melb and il get every home game fkn shaking

I can probably give you a job, but as for a place to stay, that might be difficult.

Though you are lid off so I guess you can sleep in the street?

Will there be biscuits or cake?

Hi Ryan,

Sounds great, obviously has it’s challenges but a huge step in the right direction.

A couple of questions:

• Can people who have already purchased a membership for 2015 switch across to this?

• If I had this membership, if I had guests 1 week, would I be able to easily reserve a seat elsewhere to sit with them? Would there be any kind of option to sit with them other than forgo my active seat and buy a whole new ticket?

• Since there are bound to be extra seats as some people wont be able to make it, can we ensure that each week they are filled by guests of active members, or at least essendon members or supporters wearing EFC colours etc.

• It refers only to H&A games in Melbourne, what have you got planned for interstate matches?

• Please confirm this won’t be a ‘dry’ area.

Already signed up. Perfect for me as I used to be in the CS, now stand with the GS. My ageing legs need to sit down now & then so this are will be perfect.

Just a note to Ryan, the absolute KEY to making this a success is some form of collusion with the CS & GS. There’s no point having the CS racing through “Essendon clap clap clap” at a million miles an hour, the GS chanting “Joey Daniher” to the tune of give it up & this new sections capo trying to get “We are Essendon” going round the stadium. It will be a huge mess. You MUST MUST MUST get Dodgey involved in this initiative as he is the person who can lift those around him & lead a cheer that all groups will follow.

Would love to but distance is going to get in the way of my ability to get to games regularly enough.

Will there still be a GS to say hi to?

Quoted Post

Already signed up. Perfect for me as I used to be in the CS, now stand with the GS. My ageing legs need to sit down now & then so this are will be perfect.

Just a note to Ryan, the absolute KEY to making this a success is some form of collusion with the CS & GS. There’s no point having the CS racing through “Essendon clap clap clap” at a million miles an hour, the GS chanting “Joey Daniher” to the tune of give it up & this new sections capo trying to get “We are Essendon” going round the stadium. It will be a huge mess. You MUST MUST MUST get Dodgey involved in this initiative as he is the person who can lift those around him & lead a cheer that all groups will follow.

Surely the different zones could complement each other. If one zone is already chanting something, either join in, or at least let them finish before you start.

If this area joins with what the grog squad are doing the extra voices should make some serious noise, looking forward to it. As long as theirs no cringeworthy chants I’m happy.