EFC Active Area now on sale

Ryan i farking love you, this is ALL i wanted.

Didn’t they try something similar last year at one game and it was a massive failure?

Quoted Post

Are we starting a firm?

NOW we are talking. I will go to Millwall to pick up some tips…

Where does this leave the Grog Squad now? Are you guys gonna move to this area? If so I’d love to buy in (waiting for this other shit to blow over before I get my membership). I have a casual job this year where I’ll get good penalty rates, so will need to consider a couple of factors beforehand.

GC4EVA

Thanks for the positive comments on here. I’ve realized that I do need to point out Nicole in Fan Development and Carla in Membership who worked together to make this come to fruition and deserve much of the credit. We have great people at the club that, despite a challenging few years, really do care about listening to fans and creating a better experience.

Nice to see afl.com.au do a story on it and give you guys a bit of mention as well. Hopefully it will help spread the word. If you have friends, particularly any involved in Victory or MCFC supporter groups, please pass along the info. I actually tried to post about this before xmas on the Victory and MCFC forums but I took an immediate amount of sledging and then was removed by the mods. Fair play.

Anyway, I don’t want anyone to read too much into the ‘partnership’ thing. Yes, we’ll review the chants and banners but that’s no different than any supporter group and club do in soccer. Obviously, if something obscene, racist or otherwise over the line was produced, we’d face serious repercussions from the AFL and the stadium. So it’s not to over-big-brother the thing and force you to hand out participation ribbons to the other team. There’s just a reasonable level of protocol required for group things like this. I worked closely with the Southsiders (the supporter group of the Vancouver Whitecaps) for years before coming here and we found a good happy medium.

As for the Grog Squad, I think they have a big role in all of this. The GS is great in that it’s about as egalitarian as you can get: just rock up with a beer in hand, unafraid to use your voice and you’re among friends. I stay fairly incognito but find myself lingering around the GS on every game day because it’s a loud, authentic atmosphere. But the reality is, their voice will never carry far enough from where they are stationed to impact the rest of the stadium. So my hope is that they are a bit of an engine room for the more visible Active Area (btw, loved whoever put up Napier St Elite as a potential name) and CS.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Are we starting a firm?

NOW we are talking. I will go to Millwall to pick up some tips…

Just ask AN10 he's a WALL fan from way back

“The Napier Street Fleet” I think would be more appropraite.

Newcastle Jets have “The Squadron” which would have worked well for us.

If the club didn’t use it repeatedly even “The Hangar” would be a great name.

If you want to go cheesey, or you love Archer, you can’t go past the Top Gun classic “The Dangerzone”

Bombs squad.

The Hird. (Herd)

“The cockpit” would seem appropriate as a name.

Anyhow, terrific initiative. There’s no doubt that the group of supporters behind the goals in the last 2-3 years have done a great job ramping up their support… The “we are Essendon” chant has been a terrific success.

On the Nicks Magpies forum late last year following that clubs members forum, one of the key messages from Eddie was that he felt Collingwoods army had gone quiet and that their sections in the ‘Collingwood Stand’ had become empty as the teams performance slipped. Thus detracted from the look and feel at Collingwood games and this was something they were going to address… It referenced other Vic clubs, and I read Essendon into this, as going past the Pies in terms of how engaged it’s cheer squads were at games and the noise they made. Last year I recall the Adelaide and Eagles games in particular where this Essendon presence and fan engagement was notable. Eddie was commentating fir Fox Footy st the Eagles game so this would have been of interest to him I’m sure…

Regarding fan engagement, some other things I note that work well and could be considered. More flags and floggers. These always look great. Sydney games look great because they’re a sea of red. How can Essendon build more ‘red’ and black into the stadium at home games. This cam be influenced by merchandise standards, flags, scarves etc.

If this works, Essendon matches will have an added dimension to build on . It would be great the combine fan engagement with other elements (colours etc) in the Stafium to make it really ‘Essendon’ and help build the clubs brand at the same time.

Hi Ryan, A couple of additional thoughts:

I agree the #Back our Boys and #Stand by Hird fan driven movements were a great success. How can the club abd it’s fans ensure that the string equity developed in these campsite are continued. Stand by Hird wouldn’t be a long term option as Hirds tenure is obviously limited. However, Essendon supporters will always “Back our Boys” and thus this slogan could be used more broadly as a symbol of Essendon and it’s supporters devotion and commitment to the club and it’s players in the years and decades agead.

So, how can we possibly ensure that #Back our Boys is forever and maybe linking it to this new group of active support is the opportunity? How can Essendon harness this slogan that is now an Essendon cultural ethos of it’s fans. Its a great assett all of a sudden isnt it. Clearly through adversity we are somewhat down the track with this? Could thus be something along the lines of what Liverpool has created with it’s you’ll never walk alone" which I understand was borne from adversity? Don’t misinterpret this as copying Liverpool with it’s song etc. This is potentially an opportunity for us to create something unique to Essendon from what has happened to this club.

If there has been good news the last 2 years it is that the clubs supporters have closed ranks and strengthened it’s resolve behind it’s players. It’s membership is still strong (though should be stringer) and fans have stated thick. "Back our Boys is the great symbol if this and should be harassed.

Thoughts?

Quoted Post

"The cockpit" would seem appropriate as a name.

Err

That pit where the ■■■■■ are.

These things tend to work better when they evolve on their own accord.

Having said that all the best with it but remember, you’re representing all of us so don’t stink it up.

Get @bdstratton involved.

"The Napier Street Fleet" I think would be more appropraite.

Newcastle Jets have “The Squadron” which would have worked well for us.

If the club didn’t use it repeatedly even “The Hangar” would be a great name.

If you want to go cheesey, or you love Archer, you can’t go past the Top Gun classic “The Dangerzone”

What about the EFC “Air wing” lots pf air “pushed” by the noise the mob makes, being a “wing” of the club, … pretty suitable.

Plus it will shortly be colloquially known as the Lair wing.

The Cockpit had it’s day. It’s what the social club was once known as.

Ryan, any plans for interstate? We have a LOT of supporters at games in western australia up the “city end” of patersons stadium but the cheer squad always seems very dull. We definitely need more flags and banners up that end behind the goals. It would be more visually appealing from a television perspective and give us more presence and a even better atmosphere. i believe it would motivate the team more seeing as much red and black flags/banners etc as possible behind the goals as anything we can do to make the team even feel 5% more comfortable interstate is a bonus. Id be willing to help out with any organisation over here

Quoted Post

thanks fot the nomination guys but

i am way too busy with my business to do the role properly.

its hard enough even making it to the games on time at the moment

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

thanks fot the nomination guys but

i am way too busy with my business to do the role properly.

its hard enough even making it to the games on time at the moment

I hear you.

What is your business BD?

Bunnings.