EFC v Adelaide Rd 1 - 12 days on, match day thread

Or the intensity at training was at a very high level.

1 Like

IMG_2341

5 Likes

Team looks ok on paperā€¦ my excitement was building nicelyā€¦ then I read the words that fill my heart with fearā€¦

Pannell and Chamberlain

End of Storyā€¦ go and put plenty of pineapples on Adelaide. :frowning:

2 Likes

I can see us being on the rough end of ā€˜encroching over the protected zone 50 m penaltiesā€™ with Panell and Chamberline umpiring

2 Likes

Last night we saw the level of pressure thatā€™s needed to win games this year. It was several levels above what we were doing last year. Player ins and outs are important but for us to win tonight, let alone challenge for the flag, we have to play with that intensity. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ll be looking for.

3 Likes

Happens to all clubs all the time.

Admittedly itā€™s usually a bit later in the year when the fog rolls in on those early morning recovery sessions.

1 Like

Carltons pressure and straight kicking enabled them to stay in touch. But they tired. Pressure costs petrol tickets. Do we have the tank to apply it for 4 quarters.?

LOL Pannell.

Iā€™m gonna watch the basketball instead.

2 Likes

Yep thatā€™s Tigers game. Eventually with all their running players they get on top.

Losing Kreuzer for a quarter and then him being very restricted after & also Kennedy being out for most of game would have hurt them. Cripps had 30 possessions to 3Q time and only 5 in the last

Yes Speedy, but if increased pressure and intensity has been layered onto our game plan ( I believe it has) can we sustain it for 4 quarters ? Its not only physical pressure but the ability to concentrate for the whole game.

you look at that in isolation, youā€™re smoking crack thinking anything other than a hard fought but ultimately comfortable victory.

If weā€™ve improved at all from last season, we win by 4+ goals.

I watched the Richmond game last night on the AFL APP with Live Pass ( free to telstra customers ) its good.
They have live player position maps, individual player heatmaps, etc , but really they are only tools for after game analysis. But if you want to see where stringer played mostly after the match, that would be the way to do it. I would not watch all that stuff during the game. Its not what I go to the game for.

All time high was probably the time they all piled in after a win against Adelaide or something and Zaka copped a cut on the head from an errant high five

Iā€™m hearing the lid woke up nervous this morning. Yet to to confirm if the lid is nervous about being blown sky high or slammed tightly shut. Time will tell.

6 Likes

Finish work 4. Straight to the pub.

5 Likes

Saad about to find out what itā€™s like to play in front of a massive home crowd.

12 Likes

From AFL match site:

1. Essendon won five of nine games at Etihad Stadium last year but the home ground advantage hasnā€™t been of much use against the Crows, who have won four of their past five games against the Bombers at Docklands.

Playing at Etihad was not a big advantage for us last year. And not an issue for Adelaide when playing us there.

Itā€™s going to be a very good test for us tonight. Wonā€™t tell us about the whole year, but good insights into what is good and what needs some work.

itā€™s getting exciting

heavy breathing

today is the day

Tonight will tell us if we are going to be really good this year.

However if we donā€™t win, it will only tell us that we arenā€™t ready to knock off last years Grand Finalists just yet.

1 Like

So many things to look for this year. One of them is how Joey goes.
Itā€™s a big test for Joey tonight and this year. After last year it is pretty clear to everyone that he is a match winner and a massive key to our success. Would expect a lot of extra work would have gone into analysing him by opposition clubs over the summer. Joey needs to step up, as do his teammates, to give him a good chance at getting clean possession. And he needs to have his goal kicking routine accurate.

He should be a superstar of the competition. We have been forewarned. So no excuse not to sit back over the upcoming years and watch it happen.

2 Likes