Electric Motor Mowers

I have the Col model, does the back, front and nature strip lawn, as a bonus does the edges and blows all loose debris away, $40 a go. Also takes rubbish away when required.

1 Like

Wow what a bargain, Poor Darren is a nervous wreck, Just about passes away when extra stuff is suggested. God help me when a ladder is involved…that usually goes on to the next visit. Need more Cols in the world.

3 Likes

All you mower experts know anything about electric garden shredders?

I want something gutsy but light to push around (crook back.) Anyone got an ideas please?

the family have a ryobi silent shredder that gets shared around a bit.

its ok? very easy to move around and fairly light. but doesn’t really mulch up leafy green matter. will go to town on a branch though.

Going to get one of a Victa 82V 18 inch battery mower today.

Using price beat at Bunnings or an online copy of a receipt gets down to about $500.

We bought the cheapy Ozito mower.

Mainly due to my wife having chronic back trouble , she wanted something light and no need for fuel mixing, pull cords etc. As it turns out, I seem to still do the majority of the mowing…

It feels like a toy, but actually ( surprisingly!) copes with our front lawn. Not a huge area and more relevant is probably that we have seeded with a light rye mix. It’d struggle with a buffalo/cooch turf I think. You also want to cut it every fortnight, but fortunately the battery power makes it convenient to do so.

Build quality is pretty crap. It’s mainly plastic. I can literally lift and hang it from a hook on the wall. Cutting deck is small. Cutting height is set via three slots and retaining spring which doesn’t always retain, lol. I’ve considered modifying it , but haven’t found the motivation. Likewise, it could do with a little weight in the front but again, can I really be bothered? The catcher is small but no bother. I can usually get the front cut on one charge but not always.

There’s not a lot of flexibility in what it can do, the usage scope is limited.

The rear yard is heavy duty territory. Don’t even bother. The old Victa two stroke still reigns over that domain. And who doesn’t like the smell of cut grass and two stroke fuel!? Lol.

2 Likes

the fuels alright, the grass kills me.

Bought a new mower recently, I looked but couldn’t do electric in the end. They just all looked flimsy to me (at a reasonable price) and I doubted they could get the job done.

Admittedly I’m no greenskeeper, and tend to let things grow wild sometimes, then use it as a battering ram to just destroy everything.

Went with a masport.

3 Likes

Nothing like the smell of a Victa 4 stroke starting up in the morning, Ryobi 2 stroke wippa snippa smells enen better.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ozito is really cheap and nasty, in my experience.

2 Likes

Ozito products are always displayed at the end of the Bunnings aisles

Never, ever buy anything that’s displayed at the end of the aisles.

Generally, I agree 100 percent. All of my power tools , hand tools etc are “known” quality brands.

It’ll be interesting to see how long this thing takes to fail.

I have had my Ozito for months now and it is great. No issues and I cut the grass often. And it is still red and black

3 Likes

Just picked up a Stihl RMA460 36v mower the other week and live on a 512m² block with about a 1/4 being couch grass.

Got to say, its a bloody ripper, and can generally get the job done in one mow though if it gets a tad long I’ll do the front and back on separate charges. Gets through the long stuff with ease and easy to manoeuvre.

Aside from the price being high (I paid 720), I couldn’t be happier.

Good choice. Their electric mowers are good, too. As far as I can see they are the only domestic electric mowers (other than higher-end self-propelled) that still use swing-back blades. Which is essential at my place with tree roots and sundry hard objects in the “lawn”.

1 Like

I run the same mate, slowly collecting the set

1 Like

Whipper snipper is next up, then hedge trimmer

2 Likes

If a mower doesn’t have a Briggs & Stratton 4-stroke engine, count me out.

3 Likes

What about a B&S 82V?

Got the Victa one today (with B&S motor), $500.

Works really well. Quiet enough, sturdy with a steel deck. Swing back blades. Mulching FTW. As per reports on line, you have to cut on the lowest setting (there’s one lower, but I think that’s for compact storage.)

I was genuinely surprised by the quick battery life. It won’t affect me, but others would need the bobber battery or have 2 on the go. Charges in 30 min though.

The only other one I would’ve got was the Masport, but I couldn’t figure out their range, and the battery was in built which was a concern if it Carks it.

Has anyone tried an AEG?

I’ve got an AEG edger, sprayer, chain saw, drills, circular saw, sanders etc… and they have all been great.

But not sure if I’m ready to chance a mower yet.