Electric Motor Vehicles

I am test driving a number of EVs.

Have done the Lexus UX 300e and Tesla 3, and testing Polestar 2 on Tuesday.

Lexus was nice, Tesla was just a little better. Anyone else doing this and ready to comment on what they have found.

2 Likes

Just purchased an XC40 twin electric.

3 Likes

Beat me to it Sweatyman.

Very early, but initial impressions are that it is very solid, riveting acceleration, plenty of safety features as youā€™d expect from a Volvo. In particular I wanted an unobtrusive SUV style to enable easy access for the newish grandson.
Iā€™ve purchased a home fast charger which with the solar panels weā€™ve got, I can charge during the day. So far itā€™s up to my expectations. Like most of these vehicles, thereā€™s a 6-month wait.

2 Likes

Polestar 2 is 4 weeks. Interesting that Volvo market two companies.

1 Like

I put in an order for an EV6 as soon as prices were announcedā€¦GT-Line RWDā€¦ no idea when itā€™ll be available.

One think iā€™ve read on Whirlpool is that some Kia dealers have demanded an extra $20k because there is a customer whoā€™ll pay that premium. Or they there is.

A big issue might be for me is that the owner of the dealership dropped off the twig a fortnight agoā€¦age 48. So the dealership may be in a state of flux.

There are adverts going around for a home charger caller Ocular or Oculon, but they seem to be using a subscription model of so much per kwh. Zappi sounds like the go, based on my solar panels.

1 Like

Test drove Leaf, Ioniq hatch, then Mini Cooper SE. Loved the Mini, so bought it. Home solar - have run it for 5 months virtually for free. Leaf had a floaty ride which made us all carsick. Ioniq was great - very well rounded with no weaknesses. Mini is an absolute hoot to drive. No regrets. Love the EV experience.

Edit: We have the Zappi, Noonan. Highly recommend. Very versatile and easy to use. Subscription fee?! Tell 'em to get stuffed. Just get a Zappi.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to know if it really stacks up go big completely off grid by using the Nissan Lead e+ to charge your home.(has this vehicle To home technology thingy)

Store all your solar energy, then the Leaf as I understand it can power your home for 3 days.

So no fuel, no electricity bills and a 450km range.

Seems like a no brainer.(car is a bit exxy ~60k, but it sounds like you would get a lot of that back pretty quickly eliminating fuel and electricity costs)

And recharge the car when you go into the office, then charge your house when you get home!

4 Likes

Great thread, guys. Just started on this EV journey too, utilising solar energy. Had already decided on the zappie - thanks for confirming this idea. What did it cost to install?

On the Volvo XC40, whatā€™s the range and approx cost? Was there a long wait, Sweatyman?

My first (non golf cart) EV test drive was the polestar 2 single motor.

Drive wise itā€™s about par with the Subaru Liberty. A little tepid off the line, but would be enough for 90% of people and 90% of driving situations.

My main issues were it felt like it was a cross over design/parts wise with the current ICB cars. It has the ā€˜humpā€™ running through the car, where the drive shaft and exhaust probably run. Maybe itā€™s for batteries?

The other issue is the ā€˜cockpitā€™. The centre console is raised up quite high, and wraps around your legs. Plenty of slick looking plastic, but not much storage.

I wouldnā€™t be disappointed to own one. But it didnā€™t excite me enough.

I will let you know after my test drive Tuesday.

I would like a Tesla S, but the price is a killer. Tesla 3 is hard to beat though.

1 Like

I confess to being somewhat influenced in my colour choice!
The price was $82k. Thereā€™s no negotiation with these. They sell all they can get. I waited 5 months from placing a $2k deposit in October.

Range is very dependent on the way you drive, use of one pedal driving, temperature etc. Iā€™ve not driven the car enough (Covid isolation) to really know but Iā€™m guessing around 350km to be realistic.

2 Likes

That would be one way to encourage people back into the office for more days a week in the living with covid era!

Free juice for when you get home!

Dad works late though and the kids are sitting in the dark until you get home :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™ll be interesting to see how the ā€œemergingā€ Chinese EV companies change the Australian market.

Judging by the number of MGs I see on the streets there wonā€™t be much take up hesitance for a ā€œChineseā€ brand.

was talking about this the other day, a guy i know who already has a leaf, biggest issues he had with that was range, he has a older version. he ordered a BYD (Chinese).
Think they arrive in July. sounded like there was a decent amount of preorders for the BYd. 15000 preorders i think.cost was around $44k

I think they will go really well if they offer a 7 year warranty.

My concern(but it extends to other brands too) is resale.

What you save buying a Chinese car you lose in depreciation?

But otherwise I think they probably produce quality vehicles. Just look at Volvo.

They made crappy boxes until the Chinese bought them.

1 Like

Most cars, especially EVs are made in china. Tesla has factories churning out their models.

Yeah I meant Chinese owned.

1 Like

how does the charging work? what is required?