Electric Motor Vehicles

Wall socket. Or super charger.

1 Like

federal government investment into public charging networks

1 Like

just a standard wall socket? or a special one that has to be installed?

Have been interested for a little while now and had some brief forays but stock not arriving until the second half of the year and will probably look to trade my car in around the later half of the year. The wife loves her car though so going to be a tougher nut to crack :rofl:

Standard wall socket could take a full day or more to recharge.

Special ones like Zappi should do it in 7, faster I believe if you have 3-phase power. These will cost $2k or more including installation.

so not really an option for me while Iā€™m housesitting, unless I could always factor in a long charging time. shame!

youd need dedicated power for good charging similar to electric stove/induction/hot water.

a job i had about a while ago was taking calls for a solar panel place, you wouldnā€™t believe the amount of business owners that wanted a tesla fast charging station at their brighton home and brighton business.

1 Like

Yep, it really does need a dedicated circuit run. Anything less than a 15A supply is going to result in very extended charge times. Ideally, a 25A or 32A to really open up possibilities.

There is, of course, an issue with incoming street supply for large parts of Melbourne that is going to rear itā€™s head but no one seems too keen to worry about that yet.

Which will be compounded by the electrification/de-gasification of many areas.

Yep.

But itā€™ll take us way off topic if we go down that path.

On topic, my father in law put a holding deposit on the new Kia . Wait times are estimated to run well into next year according to him, and thatā€™s variable depending on spec / colour etc. It does seem a pretty impressive device though.

1 Like

kia hynudai are going to deliver some quality EV products soon.

they abandonned their ICE research facility in favour of going full bore on electric and their cars are supreme value atm

I got told Iā€™m in the first 500. but when? Who knows? There is a demo EV6 AWD GT-Line in Warrnambool, but Iā€™ve ordered a blue RWD.

By the time he gets his hands on the wheel, thereā€™ll be a dozen new options to choose from.

I guess you gotta jump in at some point though.

Anyone know if retrofitting is cost effective?

Not personally looking to do it, but if someone could do a generic upgrade at scale, it could be a game changer.

Itā€™s around $50k at the moment from what Iā€™ve read.

Edit: I read that a few months ago in some news article I canā€™t find. This link says the same:

Currently, you can expect to pay from $50,000 AUD for an EV conversion (excluding body restoration).

1 Like

Finally did my Polestar 2 Test Drive yesterday.

Nice car, looks good and has some good features. The Polestar guy went through everything, and then just gave me the keys and said off you go for 30 minutes. It was at Highpoint West Shopping Centre, and the traffic was horriblle and roads are lousy.

It drove well, quiet but more road noise than the Tesla, which may be due to the sh1tty roads in Maribyrnong. Good acceleration, about the same as my Lexus IS200t. Overall happy with it.

I asked about buying now, and was told that they are not accepting any further orders this year !!! And there is no longer any available local stock. Doesnā€™t have a great range of colours to choose from; no red and the black is OK, but it is called VOID !! The other issue for me is the weight of it; it is over 2000 kg, Tesla is under 1800 kg. Reported to go through tyres quicker.

Anyway, I have order a red Tesla 3; no idea when it will arrive, I am guessing 12 months.

3 Likes

I just got an email from Polestar to say that the ordering is again open !!

That was quick! 9 minute turnaround!

7 Likes

iā€™d be dead keen to have my next car be an ev, but i have no charging options where i live

some berk asked the owners corp last year to pay for the 20k-ish installation of a charging point for their car, to which the response was ā€œlol gfcā€ so i donā€™t foresee those options changing soon

probably going to be a big challenge for those in inner suburbs in the coming years

2 Likes

Might be an idea to follow some UK municipalities where charge points are in light poles, or parking spots.

Youā€™d need a heavy fine for ICE vehicles parking in electric charging spots.