Electric Motor Vehicles

Except with my Tesla 3 a 10 amp charger is the same as plugging into the household supply which gives me a charging rate of about 12 km per hour (or 2% per hour), so if I was at 20% charge and took it to 80%, it would take 30 hours. With my Tesla charger which has a 32 AMP supply direct from the power board, I get about 9% per hour so it is just over 6 hours.

I actually charge my Tesla to 90% which gives me a range of about 500 km. I try to charge every day when the sun is shining and my solar panels are ripping out the juice.

How much do you think it costs to run you Tesla each year?

Charging and Maintenance.

Given we are building a solar passive house, we are in the market for electric cars. Genuine question - is the Tesla the best model, because we are struggling to commit to one given MrHeff and I are not fans of Musk.

I can’t stand Elon Musk, I think he’s an epic ■■■■■■■, but the only thing I hate more than a self entitled billionaire is not making logical decisions, and Tesla’s are nominally the best EVs on the market both in features and value, once you include the charging network it’s not even close right now.

2 Likes

I don’t think the charging network is that big of a deal right now, and likely it will become less as they open it up to others.

I have owned mine 12 months this week. Have done nearly 20,000 kms. Charging has cost $658. The year before in my Lexus, Petrol cost over $4000.

No maintenance cost as yet, need to contact Lexus this week to see what I need to do.

Have just paid the VicRoads Ev tax at about $525.

2 Likes

I pay no attention to Musk. Actually a close friend has two sons who work for Musk in USA. They say nice things about working for him. His does seem a bit of a nutter, but my Tesla 3, is about the best car I have had ever.

4 Likes

No doubt Musk is turning some buyers away. Tesla has a lot to offer, but the gap is closing.

We have an Hyundai Ioniq5. We are really happy with it, and I’d say the interior quality a little ahead of the Tesla. Other aspects are similar, maybe?

If you want to check out other non Tesla brands, there’s heaps.

• KIA EV6 (same platform as ioniq5)
  • Skoda Enyaq (released in NZ, delayed to 2025 I think)
  • Volvo recharge, most like a normal car driving experience, but range is a bit too low.
  • polestar 2 (Volvo) plenty available, but the better variant gets expensive.
  • BYD. This one looks nice, but I have no idea if it’s any good, a lot of them on the road now.
  • ford Mustang Mach E (can place an order, not sure when they deliver)
  • VW iD4 (2024)
1 Like

Plus, if money is no object, then you should be looking at Audi and Porsche.

1 Like

I test drove all of them and a few other like BMW, Lexus and Porsche.

Some were junk, and in my view the Tesla was easily the best to drive.

Thanks all.

If you the time, testing drive ping lots of different models was fun. Never really ever did a test drive before and was amazed that they just gave me the car to drive for 30 minutes without signing anything. Even the Porsche which is $180,000, they just sent me on my way.

1 Like

I have the EV6 GT-Line RWD, and the only drawbacks I’ve found are…no online and no wireless CarPlay. The latter is easily sorted with adapters and the former is really covered by CarPlay or AndroidAuto.

2 Likes

If i was loading up on an expensive EV it would be that porsche taycan gts. But geezus it must be a lot of money

About $185,000

A lot of money but I guess that probably comparable to what the model s was.

The GT-Line RWD EV6 is only $80k odd.

And Car of the Year.

1 Like

I think 80k is a lot of money.

Car inflation seems ridiculous

1 Like

1 Like