Electric Motor Vehicles

When I was in Sydney, there were free charging station at the nearby Tramsheds shopping centre.

Supposed to be 22kw, but there were 4 chargers sharing that 22kw station. I was only getting 7kw.

2 Tesla chargers, 2 Level 2 chargers.

See what youā€™re saying, and donā€™t disagree with you. But I kinda feel it should be like for petrol cars. In convenient places close to roads where you fill up quickly and go.

Driving to a shopping centre to find the chargers broken or occupied is a hassle. Today I had to ask them to waive the parking fee because I spent 20 minutes on the phone to try to get the charger fixed.

Had the charger worked Iā€™d have spent money in the stores, got my car charged and parking validated. Instead I just went home and charged the car while WFH.

Yeah well not working chargers is another thing.

I had this idea and it got me wondering why EV cars donā€™t do it.

You know in many appliances you have more than one battery.

Why doesnt an electric car have multiple small batteries with different charging points for each one?

it would let you halve/cut charge time in a third wouldnā€™t it? (eg have 3 different charging points) I mean it would require a charging station to have multiple power points, but it would also mean you would be able to drip charge faster at home?

or am I missing something?

I have no idea why people who donā€™t have home setups buy EV cars.

I find the idea of waiting around just a big waste of time. Iā€™d rather pay for a full tank and be out of there in 2 minutes.

If you plugged in multiple batteries to charge from the same source, why would it charge any quicker. As I understandmy Tesla 3 has two batteries, one bigmutha that runs themotor and most of everytime else and a 12V battery in that powers smaller motors and functions around the vehicle, including lights, power window motors, wiper motors, power lift gate, washer fluid pumps, ABS electronics, the main display etc

I couldā€™ve done it as WFH. Charge once a week. Plug the car in for a free charge while you go tot he shops, do your work or go to the gym. Itā€™s very different

1 Like

So do all the newer EVs. Most of the problems reported are the 12V battery running out. You can sort with slow chargers, or jumper leads.

Because you would be charging two batteries at the same time?

Instead of charging one big one. Ie concurrently.

Like having two small evs with quicker recharhe times and charging two at the same time from seperate chargers. But you know combine in the one vehicle. You would need two chargers :electric_plug:

Ive got a mate who just trickle charges from a normal socket. They just always have it plugged in when at home and they always have enough juice to get around.

No need for any special infrastructure just a normal power point.

Of course it would take like 2 days for a full charge but they never do that. Just topping up.

If your day of driving is long, like hundreds of kms then yeah you need a destination charger to pop it on and have it fully ready to go by the next day.

1 Like

Except that you can only get out of the charger up to its limit. Superchargers are 350, 250 and 125 kW. So if I plugged my Tesla into a 250kW charger and had one or two batteries charging it would still only give 250 kW

I think heā€™s saying have a car with 2 batteries, and plug in 2 chargers. The cables are long enough to make it possible.

But maybe 3 would be better, or 4!?

Yeah so you would need two chargers plugged in at the same time.

There must be a good reason, its probably technically hard

Just double the size of the charger mateā€¦ Not purchase and install 2?

If you split the battery into 4 seperate in feeds youā€™d need to buy 4 seperate chargers. Thats not really practical. Like at all.

Just increase your size of charger for the same reduction in charge time?

This isnā€™t easy for domestic setting

Absolutely agree - but nor is buying two. Its still an expensive and space restrictive exercise to install two chargers on a property because a car manufacture split their battery system into two.

So iā€™ve been driving an EV for work for about 18 months (MG ZS) and done 40,000ks and iā€™ve only ever used the general wall socket for charging. Iā€™ve got an EVSE charger that is timed to just charge the car during off peak.

Iā€™m a brand manager and i spend my days driving around to shopping centres and home maker centres across Victoria. I do between 100 to 300ks a day. I deploy the ABC philosophy (always be charging) so if there is a charger at the destination i am going too (free one i mean) i plug in, even if it means i have to walk a little further. ie, when iā€™m going to westfield in Geelong i plug in down by the pier and walk up.

Generally the home charger almost always tops me back up to full by the time i set off again in the morning. Longer trips tend to drop into the range where that might not be the case for the following morning (Bendigo, Ballarat, Gippsland etc) but what i do then is swing home via a Jolt charger about 2ks from my house, take out the free 7KWs from that while i grab a coffee and then back on the granny charger when i get home.

Iā€™ve never felt the need to upgrade my charger.

With that being said itā€™s time to hand back the MG and iā€™ve got a Model 3 coming in a couple of weeks which i intend to hold onto for longer. The longer range will be handy as iā€™ll be able to do certain legs in one charge and it will open up the Tesla network to me which is handy, but it will be interesting to see if the larger battery will mean i need to upgrade my home charging but the way i figure it is iā€™m still doing the same Ks and a KWh is a KwH, it doesnā€™t matter what car it goes into, surely?

Guess iā€™ll find out in a few weeks

6 Likes

Sorry beni, but you confuse me, nothing new I guess. I was confused all those years ago when you sold me an iPhone.

If I did 300 km each day, it would take about 6 hours charging from my 11 kW 32A charger in my garage. If I used my household plug, it would take 30 hours !!

What did you mean ?

1 Like

Youd just plug it into a normal wall socket with the cable and drip feed it i mean.

i was just saying if iā€™m using the charger i have now (EVSE 10 amp) surely itā€™s going into a different car at the same rate as my current one.