Enormous Collingwood Superstar calls it a Day

wallace-482x298.jpg

I'll stay a kick behind play, you go pick up a man

All this crap about "he is a premiership captain" and you don't play 200 games without being good etc etc

Think about this:

Kosi, who we said was a dud etc etc was 2 kicks away from being a 200 game 2 time premiership player which would put him in the same group as Hird.

Yes Maxwell is a premiership captain, but if the ball bounces the right way for Milne does it make a difference to how people see both Kosi and Maxwell? So we should disregard the way he played because he won a flag? Shuold he be held in higher regard than Robbie Flower who never played in a GF (not even sure he played in a winning final?)

Guys, he was a crap footballer. He may have been an excellent leader (and sounds like he was) but don't give me this ****

You surely have little or no understanding of footy if you think Maxwell was a crap player - You don't play 200 games,especially in a perennial finals team and a premiership winning team if you are a crap player. And by the way - Who do you rate higher ? Maxwell or Heritier ? 

Well there's a perfect duet of useless right there.

All this crap about "he is a premiership captain" and you don't play 200 games without being good etc etc

Think about this:

Kosi, who we said was a dud etc etc was 2 kicks away from being a 200 game 2 time premiership player which would put him in the same group as Hird.

Yes Maxwell is a premiership captain, but if the ball bounces the right way for Milne does it make a difference to how people see both Kosi and Maxwell? So we should disregard the way he played because he won a flag? Shuold he be held in higher regard than Robbie Flower who never played in a GF (not even sure he played in a winning final?)

Guys, he was a crap footballer. He may have been an excellent leader (and sounds like he was) but don't give me this ****

You surely have little or no understanding of footy if you think Maxwell was a crap player - You don't play 200 games,especially in a perennial finals team and a premiership winning team if you are a crap player. And by the way - Who do you rate higher ? Maxwell or Heritier ? 

Considering the content of about 95% of your posts, I would say that comment is ironic.

Think about this:

Considering the content of about 95% of your posts, I would say that comment is ironic.

I do not think he was as bad as some of you make him out to be.  Sure he was not superstar but he was a decent player who got the best out of himself.  All teams have those players and they are generally loved by their fans.  He also seems like a genuinely nice bloke rather than the usual flog.

Good, ordinary player, as Jack Dyer used to say.  The comparison to Garry O'Donnell (see above) was a pretty good one.

Eddie was surely having a lend of the world at large though when he called Maxwell "one of the greatest Collingwood players in our history".

Good, ordinary player, as Jack Dyer used to say. The comparison to Garry O'Donnell (see above) was a pretty good one.
Eddie was surely having a lend of the world at large though when he called Maxwell "one of the greatest Collingwood players in our history".

If that's the case, it probably explains why they don't have a bloke in the team of the century side.

and eddie chose to take a swipe at the sydney president in the presser. what a flog. I’d be ■■■■■■ if I was Maxwell, but I’m not, so I’m not.

Maxwell was lucky that he played in an era where rolling mauls are seen as normal and you can get away with a lot if you have a midfield like the Pies with a coach like Malthouse who could get the best out of plodders. If he played even 10 years ago he would have been on the scrap heap like J Cloke.

Typical overhyped collingwood retirement when a player who can string more than two words together is touted as having a role waiting in 'club management' for them whenever they're ready. Just like when Clement and 'He catches public transport' Wakelin retired.

■■■■■■■ spare me.

Yeah really enjoy Eddie hijacking all his players retirement press conferences. god hes such a fat babbling fool

Think about this:

Typical response - Attack the poster rather than debating the argument. You stated that Maxwell was a CRAP player - There is absolutely nothing to substantiate your argument that Maxwell is a crap player - Did he battle in the system for 4 or 5 years and struggle to 25 games ?  

And you didn't answer my question ? Who do your rate higher Maxwellor or O'Brien ?

Good, ordinary player, as Jack Dyer used to say.  The comparison to Garry O'Donnell (see above) was a pretty good one.

Think the analogy between O'Donnell and Maxwell is a good one - I'd rate O'Donnell a touch higher - I need to check if any Blitzer has labelled O'Donnell as crap. :(  

I honestly think in my time of following footy, I couldn't name another player as useless as him that consistently got picked.

Vandenberg

Think about this:

Typical response - Attack the poster rather than debating the argument. You stated that Maxwell was a CRAP player - There is absolutely nothing to substantiate your argument that Maxwell is a crap player - Did he battle in the system for 4 or 5 years and struggle to 25 games ?  

And you didn't answer my question ? Who do your rate higher Maxwellor or O'Brien ?

It's a ■■■■ question. What's the difference who is better out of O'Brien or Maxwell?

Maxwell was a crap player who was badly exposed on numerous occassions when forced to play one on one and not have his usual role as 3rd man up. You saw it on Sunday vs Carlisle, you saw it even in 2010 when we got pumped on ANZAC day and Gumby had 18 touches and 10 marks in a game we lost by 65 points. And there are many other occassions where he simply could not play on a forward 1 on 1, his only use (apart from leadership) was a 3rd man to the contest. When forced to be accountable, he got found out big time, and this makes him a crap overhyped player.

Think the analogy between O'Donnell and Maxwell is a good one - I'd rate O'Donnell a touch higher - I need to check if any Blitzer has labelled O'Donnell as crap. :(  

O'Donnell was at least able to perform shut down roles on the oppositions small forwards as well have pretty good skills.

Maxwells foot skills are poor as was his attempt and shutting down opposition forwards.

Reminded me a lot of Garry ODonnell, not a great deal of natural ability but worked really hard to get to where he was going. Fantastic leadership skills, marshalled the troops really well and has enormous respect from the club. Good on him.
And seems like a really nice bloke. One of the few Collingwood players I had any respect for.
And he doesn't look like a goat he looks like Wallace, Gromets mate

Great call on the Wallace comparison.

O'Donnell was at least able to perform shut down roles on the oppositions small forwards as well have pretty good skills.

Maxwells foot skills are poor as was his attempt and shutting down opposition forwards.

From memory, Gary improved to be a good midfielder who averages 20-25 touches a game (which was alot in his era) and lead the side playing in the centre square. He was a reliable kick and played 9 state of origin games, B&F in the premiership year... He was a far superior player to Maxwell - i can't believe I read their names together in a post on Bomberblitz.....

__________________________________________________________________________________

Gary O'Donnell (born 12 May 1965) is a former Australian rules footballer who played 243 games for the Essendon Football Club between 1987 and 1998.[1]

O'Donnell's start at football didn't come easy: he played nearly 50 reserve grade matches before being selected to make his debut in the last game of the 1987 season. From there he held down a steady place in the side, first as a defender, then later developing into a tagging midfielder who was capable of getting the football as well as keeping an opposition player quiet. At his peak, O'Donnell was regarded as one of the most consistent players in the competition, with commentators often stating that he "never plays a bad game".

Underlining this consistency is his record in the club best-and-fairest: O'Donnell finished in the top three six years in a row, winning it in 1993, a premiership year for the Bombers. He also won the Michael Tuck Medal in 1994 as the best player in the pre-season grand final. Additionally, O'Donnell represented Victoria nine times in state of origin football.

O'Donnell was always regarded as one of the most astute thinkers in the game, and was rewarded with the captaincy for the 1996 and 1997 seasons.

Had Gary’s number on my duffle coat after Terry D retired. Ridiculous comparison. Nobody knows how effective either were as captains, there are always a few leaders out there on the ground and the best captain ever isn’t going to get a weak team over the line. As a player my memory of O’Donnell was as a very clever tough mid who could play a defensive and an attacking role. Maxwell was effective when his midfield were up and running and often as bad as Heretier minus the speed and evasive skills when the heat was on. Both consistently hacked it out and more often than not their stars made them look good.

Caveat : This does not mean he was a piece of crap player, just that he was decent enough cattle at a well coached and talented team, mature enough to take the reins when many around him were obviously not. Bunch of farkheads as it turns out.

Think about this:

It's a **** question. What's the difference who is better out of O'Brien or Maxwell?

Maxwell was a crap player who was badly exposed on numerous occassions when forced to play one on one and not have his usual role as 3rd man up. You saw it on Sunday vs Carlisle, you saw it even in 2010 when we got pumped on ANZAC day and Gumby had 18 touches and 10 marks in a game we lost by 65 points. And there are many other occassions where he simply could not play on a forward 1 on 1, his only use (apart from leadership) was a 3rd man to the contest. When forced to be accountable, he got found out big time, and this makes him a crap overhyped player.

Okay so 2 or 3 games make a player crap - I have no idea what Collingwood did all these years gifting him 200 games - What were they thinking ?

Think about this:

It's a **** question. What's the difference who is better out of O'Brien or Maxwell?

Okay so 2 or 3 games make a player crap - I have no idea what Collingwood did all these years gifting him 200 games - What were they thinking ?

I know right?