EPL 2017/18 Thread

I haven’t seen anything so far to suggest he will be a player.

Looks like an accident waiting to happen whenever he is on the ball.

Arsenal have really completed their transition from a contender (okay, an outside contender) to a genuine mid-table side, outclassed by the top teams.

I agree with those who think that Wenger should go, but it’s only half a solution. Replacing him won’t fix anything as long as the present owner remains.

It’s the owners who are the real problem because they won’t make the money available to secure and keep the sort of players who win titles. The only reason Wenger should go is that he has to go sometime and it might as well be while the team is down, because his departure after such a long reign will definitely be followed by a period of chaos.

But if the current owners stay — and there’s no suggestion that they won’t — then we’ll be a mediocre side for many years. No matter who replaces Wenger.

1 Like

Listened to a very interesting podcast last week with Christian Purslow the former CEO of Liverpool and more recently the Head of Global Commercial activities at Chelsea. He largely was speaking about his time at Liverpool but he touched on the current financial situation of the Big 6 EPL teams.

His view was Man City and Man United basically have a bottomless pot to draw from. City obviously use their owners funds while United’s revenues are so strong they can almost compete with City in a financial sense.

He then classed Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in the next category. These clubs are managing their finances prudently with a view of competing on a regular basis with the main aim of winning titles rather than absolutely dominating the competition. It was interesting how he specifically pointed out that Chelsea is now operating in such a way. The issue with this model is that to fund the long term viability sales of key players will happen.

He placed Spurs in a different bucket saying how the squad they have has given them the ability to compete. The squad combined with the new stadium means they have a chance to jump up and compete financially in the future - but they aren’t there yet.

Anyone who was involved with appointing Roy ■■■■■■■ Hodgson as a Liverpool manager can GAGF.

Disagree - I think chelsea can be grouped with city and utd. As he works for chelsea currently, skeptical about why he would say this. But this is pretty consistent with what I’ve said about liverpool and arsenal for awhile now.

1 Like

Haha that certainly was a horrible decision.

He’s no longer at Chelsea. I actuallly think their spending has come back to the pack over the last few years.

1 Like

Roman has made it quite clear the purse strings have been reigned in and Chelsea won’t be spending anywhere near what they have in the past.

1 Like

We’ll see - I’m not convinced; if they start performing poorly, wouldn’t be surprised if the wallet opens up again.

Got to keep it as French FC

1 Like

Things can’t get any worse.

Wenger has downgraded Arsenal. I don’t buy the notion that they don’t have the finances to compete. They do, simply based on the revenue they generate on match days. I saw online somewhere that Arsenal make the most money per match-day spectator in the world, and by some margin too. It was nearly 70 quid per spectator. They have the money to compete with the Manchester teams and Chelsea, but Kroenke is more concerned with his personal finances. He will only get rid of Wenger when it hurts his hip pocket. Consistent failure to make the UCL will probably do that. Last season should have been it, he’s probably given him a new contract based on the fact that it was the first time in 20 years they’d missed qualifying, but another miss might see him booted. So long as they don’t appoint a David Moyes/Roy Hodgson equivalent, change can only be a good thing. It just looks stale, he has brought in some new players but the same results are occuring. Who is the constant?

1 Like

It’s the type of players he’s bringing in also.

Xhaka is the prototype Wenger player.

Ok standing over the ball but when things aren’t going your way you provide nothing.

Gets in players like Asano and Campbell just so that he can on sell them later. He’s all about the bottom line.

And Chambers and Holding are never going to be top CB’c but yet he continues to play them and they continue to be exposed.

1 Like

For a club like Arsenal to not have won the league since 2004, is pretty damming. Wenger has managed the club for 22+ years and has only managed 1 CL final appearance in that time. 3 x FA cups in recent years had padded up his portfolio, but Arsenal should be challenging in the league and in Europe.

Pass.

Arsenal remind me of Essendon more and more, and tbh most of us resemble the fan melt downs on Arsenal Fan TV lets be honest.

5 Likes

Are you Dom on West Ham Fan TV?

1 Like

So if it’s damning for arsenal - what does that mean for Liverpool’s league record?

1 Like

Inexperienced but I would still take a chance.

At the very least he would attract top line talent to the club.