Essendon bar in Melbourne?

Where does everyone head for the interstate games? Must be a bar in the city we can take over and yell fark Carlton as many times as we want?

Club did have some joint they were promoting, just down near the botanic gardens.

The Botanical. Do they still do it?

Looks a bit swank for my style.

Colonial Brewing Co now. Botanical is sooooo last year.

Once upon a time it was the Windy Hill Social club, had some good interstaters there, … & I imagine it is still a choice for many locals & a few others??

Whats the Young and Jacksons? A tigers bar?

Colonial Brewing Co. joins Dons

April 28, 2017 11:56 AM

Players and media gathering at a pub together is a rare sight, but today Tom Bellchambers and Michael Hurley wound back the clock at the Colonial Brewing Company in Port Melbourne.

The duo challenged the media to a beer pouring contest to officially mark the Club’s new partnership with the Australian craft brewery.

Colonial Brewing Company was established in 2004 and is now the Official Beer and Cider Partner of the Bombers for the 2017 season.

Essendon CEO, Xavier Campbell, said Colonial Brewing Company’s beers and cider will be poured at the Club’s match day functions and events throughout the year.

“We are proud to partner with the Colonial Brewing Company, they are run by an energetic and passionate team who deliver a fantastic line up of beverages, all brewed locally here in Melbourne,” Campbell said.

“We are constantly looking at ways to offer our members, supporters and broader network with the best possible experience at Essendon functions and events and we also understand the growing appetite for craft beers and cider.

“The new partnership will deliver our members, supporters and guests with a wonderful choice of fine craft beers and cider at Essendon home games and functions.

“We served Colonial Brewing Company’s beers and ciders in our Culinary Chairman’s Function on ANZAC Day and the feedback from our guests was overwhelmingly positive.

“Season 2017 is shaping as an exciting chapter in the Club’s Comeback Story, and we are excited Colonial Brewing Company has joined us on this journey.”

The partnership has also seen Colonial Brewing Company back the Club’s #FridayFootyPanel podcast hosted by Scott Lucas and Julian de Stoop.

Recorded live at Colonial Brewing Company’s Port Melbourne Brewery, the #FridayFootyPanel provides Essendon members and supporters with the latest news, insights and entertaining interviews with past and present players.

The brewery is also the venue of choice for Essendon supporters to gather and watch the Club’s interstate matches.

National General Manager of Colonial Brewing Company, Lawrence Dowd, said the new partnership is significant.

“We are extremely proud to be one of the first craft breweries to partner with such an iconic sporting Club in Essendon,” Dowd said.

“We are an Australian owned and run brewery operating out of Port Melbourne and Margaret River with a small but passionate team of brewers.

“Our unique partnership with Essendon is extremely exciting and reinforces the growing demand for craft beer here in Australia.

“We look forward to working with Essendon over the coming season, and providing their members and supporters with our great line-up of beers and cider to enjoy at Club functions hopefully after many a Bombers win.”

Colonial Brewing Co.

Address: 89 Bertie St, Port Melbourne VIC 3207

Essendon Football Club and Colonial Brewing Company promote the responsible service and consumption of alcohol.

5 Likes

Yep, remember watching us on the big screen at windy hill v west coast in 2001. Room was packed.

1 Like

Nothing worse than a packed pub… barely any room, 20 minutes wait for a schooner and standing room only if you dont get in early… no thanks

Thinking more a traditional pub in the city.
The Irish Times
Turf Bar

Get lots of dons fans in, drink the place dry, leave after the game type pub.

Any chance the club could get it served at games?

Not for less than $30 a schooner

That would be good, … their mid is one of the best I’ve had, would be fantastic at Night games, … I think I raved about it in the beer thread.

Also … I remember talk on one of the Friday Footy Panels of free stuff for Dons at away game do’s at the CB co, … was it a Free first ale & nibbles??

Can’t quite remember …

The royal in Richmond seems to have a proportionally high Essendon clientele … or so I’ve been told

6 Likes

Hmmm…maybe Melbourne’s geography has changed substantially, but from what I recall Port Melbourne is not real handy to any of EFC’s current or former homes: McCracken’s Paddock, East Melbourne, Windy Hill, MCG, Dudlands, Tullamarine.

I also suspect that there are not too many EFC supporters in the Port Melbourne area - especially not in the old days and probably not in the post-yuppie, post-ASADA era.

Yet another triumph of marketing over substance.

2 Likes

if you already have a habit of going to Etihad it’s only another 5 mins on a tram. Very close to CBD.

supporterbase expanded well beyond the old suburb and lines. Bayside train lines just as packed for the ride home after a match.

Wrong side of the river

2 Likes

Always a fair few around Abbotsford/Collingwood area.

The Birmy in Fitzroy is a good pub (now changed to more a sports bar) to watch the footy, has foxtel, great counter meals etc

Always a lot of dons supporters too

Suppose we should drop Kia and Fujitsu and Antler and all those other “not close to Essendon places” companies too. After all, in Kia’s case, I reckon it’s as close to garaunteed as possible there are more Bomber people (including TBell and Hooker) in Port Melbourne than Seoul.

What a farking whiney, bullshift post.

6 Likes