Essendon bar in Melbourne?

More deeming a something as “Nothing”

One bottle shop stoped selling a beer because of a Twitter activist(what ever the hell that means).

Making something out of nothing, ya think.

He’s saying the idea behind the name was that a Beer Co, was moving into what had previously been strictly Wine Country, … so they were staking a claim, and “Colonising” the area by planting a Beer “Flag” down there., . or at least the story goes.

1 Like

If their sales weren’t an issue… You can bet the name wouldn’t be.

2 Likes

I would say it’s a story because it seems extreme to many.
There a relatively big brewer and generally popular with regular folk rather than any hipster crowd.

I’m sure Colonial Brewing are ecstatic that their sales have plummeted…

But I guess they should just harden up and not give in to the PC brigade…and eventually go bust.

You might find it has the opposite effect.

I thought so, but there have been breweries in that region since the 90’s so hardly colonising. Which come to think of the colonisation of Australia…

Anyway they make great beer and by chance I’ll be there on Sunday.

2 Likes

The name Carlton Daught offends me, can we get that changed whilst we are at it? FARK Carlton Draught perhaps?

4 Likes

We should deem this nothing as nothing and focus on more important stuff. If somebody is upset by that term they need to re-think their priorities.

2 Likes

White guy tells brown people not to be care about colonialism.

I’m sure all their concerns have evaporated.

4 Likes

I’m waiting for someone named Karen to get upset about the use of their name in a derogatory manner.

Maybe I should ask this in the Dumb Quesions Amnesty thread:
How many threads should I post this:

Just popped into the black sparrows & hearts to find this bad boy on Johnson st

I’m enjoying its taste! I guess that others won’t. Hopefully others will still head to the Brewrey in Port Melb to enjoy a drop & watch the Dons!

1 Like

For me, it’s a good way to bring people’s attention to the real issue, the effect of colonisation that is still ongoing.

If going after the big thing doesn’t work, just go for little things.

Use of the term ‘colonial’ isn’t a real issue, though. Wanna talk about indigenous suicide rates or literacy rates? Ok, now we may make some progress.

3 Likes

Its possibly the worst way to bring attention to a serious issue IMO.

Nobody is going to be educated or endeared to the cause by people going after a fkg beer brewery.

1 Like

We’re talking about it, aren’t we?

There are people under 30 whose parents were/are part of the stolen generation. Some of them have undeniably suffered as a result.

This thing will turn some people away, but some people will keep reading on, and if one of them can open their mind and understand why this is happening, why it is not a good word, that’s still a good result.

Intent doesn’t matter, it’s the impact that matters.

Do you think the people that started the brewery had bad intentions when they came up with that name? And can you name anybody that is genuinely upset by it? Genuinely, not for political gain or one upmanship, gets teary or even changes their mood when they see a can of their beer? Pick your battles, this will not help the cause in any way.

1 Like

My wife is

2 Likes