Essendon bar in Melbourne?

The colonial thing is being talked about as though it’s just the breweries, when it’s an entire hospo empire with pubs and hotels across the country. I’m not sure that it’ll be easy to remove references to that name across all those entities easily.

Lucky the docklands stadium isn’t called Colonial anymore. Can you imagine?

2 Likes

Im not sure what the big deal is. The Colonial brand name upsets some people and it would not upset other people. If enough people are upset its in the commercial interests of the brewery to change the name. Otherwise they keep the name and recognise it may upset a few people.

1 Like

This song needs a new title

your a fucken idiot if the name “colonial brewing” upsets you.

world has gone mad

13 Likes

I expect the PC police will be at it again soon, wanting us to stop using Bomber/s as a nickname.

2 Likes

Well we used to be called the Bloodstained N##ers. So I’m glad PC caused that enlightened change.

5 Likes

delete

I’m heading into Black Sparrows & hearts tonight to pick up some Scotch.

I will tell management what I think about this decision to remove one of my favourite beers from the shelf.

I love the Colonial brew, especially as it came out with the special edition EFC cans.

As o understand it, Colonial Brewery colonised the Southern part of Margaret river. No brewery was present in that part of the world.

I’m offended by stupidity and racism in equal measure. Generally they go hand in hand. This is not such an occasion.

1 Like

It’s “problemaaattiiiccc” inner city wanker hipster uni voice

1 Like

Is this really the defense?

It’s almost exactly the point of the protest.

The protest has a point?

Not that anyone would ever expect you to see or get it, … but yes.

Humour me :slight_smile:

This one, I’d say not a strong one. The guy who’s pushed it looks like a massive ■■■■ if you aske me.

But yes people have a problem with colonisation.

To say colonial isn’t offensive as we only used it because the land was empty, is exactly the point why people do get offended. ‘The English were entitled to colonise Australia coz it was empty.’

The colonial story has hit at least 4 threads now!

1 Like

Terra nullius.

noun

1. land that is legally deemed to be unoccupied or uninhabited. In Australia the question of whether British colonizers had regarded the continent as terra nullius at the time of the original settlement, and, if so, whether this was a proper designation, was at the centre of several important legal cases in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.
1 Like

Kinda seems like making something out of nothing.

The only reason it’s a story, is because Colonial are actually hearing it, and considering the change.

And they should, if they want to keep sales up.

It’s a “Craft” / Hipster beer, … and their main clientele, the “Woke” Hipsters, are the ones doing the chastising, so …

wot