Essendon Captain 2023, who do you think it will be?

“If Dyson wants to captain this club, he will.”

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1 Like

Brad did say “captain or captainssss”

I’m not banking on Heppell and Merrett to be co-captains.

I think this will ease the pressure of automatic selection for Heppell for mine… I do think he can still be dropped knowing that Merrett is co captain.

It’s interesting how people put different weight to the attributes around captaincy. I wouldn’t have Merrett in my top 5 candidates, yet he is the popular choice as skipper among supporters.

1 Like

Who are your top 5?

People are wrongly conflating Heppell’s current skill as a player with his current skill as a captain.

Those two things are always related whether you acknowledge it or not. Or else we might as well put Tony Robbins on our list and make him captain. You need to be able to not look like a hypocrite because you’re not able to perform your own role to a high enough standard (that clearly merits your place in the side above all doubt) when you are demanding things of others.

1. Heppell
  2. Redman
  3. McGrath
  4. Draper
  5. Shiel

I just don’t think Zac has the support of the playing group to be skipper. He doesn’t seem approachable or someone who could motivate the group. I agree that he is highly dedicated to his craft, but so is Shiel and I think Shiel is a better communicator.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I don’t agree with those choices, but then again I would be hard pressed to select anyone from our current list.

2 Likes

It’s slim pickings. Hep is clearly the standout candidate IMO, and I agree that it would be an ideal time to pass the baton on. I’m hoping one of Redman, McGrath or Draper have a standout season and can take on the role in 2024.

I also think people who dismiss Drapes as a buffoon not suited to Captaincy underrate him. He is the spiritual leader of the group already, and his energy and style of play make him well suited to leadership. His enthusiasm is pretty much unmatched.

It sounds as though Heppell has had a pretty good pre-season from the training reports - maybe he will have a late career revival?

1 Like

I dont mind the captain being behind the footy. Thought Bomber was one of our best captains.

Id go Mason Redman. Seems like a guy whose own game would actually lift with the captaincy.

Might have a bit of a hot head but whatever.

The filth made Moore their captain.

Lot of good premiership sides have had their captain as a bit of a general off half back too.

Hawthorn - Hodge
Geelong - Harley
West Coast in the 90s - Worsfold

They are some of the best football sides when going Ive seen in recent years.

Id have Redman(c), McGrath(vc) off the half back line.

Profit

I also think there’s something to be said for an extrovert taking on the role. Personal interactions drain energy from introverts, and I reckon there is every chance that Merrett’s game would suffer if he was named skipper. Extroverts gain energy from social situations, so are more likely to benefit from being thrust into the limelight.

1 Like

Deleted post

Fk me even Fyfe relinquished.

6 Likes

I’ll be shattered if Heppell retains any leadership role.
It is meant to be a development year, so what better opportunity than to appoint your “future” leadership team and let them start to form a cohesive group.

2 Likes

You’d be shattered?

4 Likes

ANNOUNCE 2MP

thats because they have 2 pretry adequate replacements to choose from. we’ve got the boot studder and i heard we rang goddard and asked him to come back

1 Like

Hep sold himself into the role to take it from Jobe, you’d think he’d know it’s best for the club to relinquish it at his age too.