Essendon Captain 2023, who do you think it will be?

Hearing Brad Scott talk now at the presser in Bendigo, he has more or less said that Heppell will remain captain.

Deplorable

1 Like

“Dyson Heppell is our captain and that will remain up until we go through our process and I suspect that there’s a strong likelihood that will continue to be the case”

“I couldn’t be more impressed with Dyson Heppell. He’s been super impressive and if he wants to continue as captain then I suspect that’s what will happen”

Would love a totally left field call of Parish…would actually extend him.

Leadership group of Hepps, Merrett VC, McGrath, Redman, Draper incoming I don’t mind that. Would prefer Hepp moved on though.

if you didn’t already know it was always going to be a cooked heppell just based on the fact we have no other fkn leaders, then you do now.

Scotts all but confirmed he’s the man for this season

3 Likes

I don’t like to be a negative Nelly, but this really does seem like the case.
Throwing a noose around our own neck for no reason.
I don’t agree that we don’t have leaders, though.
shrugs
I don’t hate the idea of Parish.
We need a changing of the guard.

2 Likes

Tank mode !

1 Like

The only benefit I can think from this is that if the feeling is that we are going to be sh¡t this year anyway then perhaps letting Heppell wear all that rather than a new captain could be a good thing.

And then next year as we start to really improve as the young squad matures, with the benefit of another 12 months, a new captain gets to lead a more developed squad as we begin to turn the corner and rise up the ladder.

It also allows another season for guys like Redman, McGrath and perhaps a Draper to embed themselves as truly established, high level AFL players and to evolve further as leaders ready to take on the captaincy.

Just trying to rationalise this cos yeah on the surface of it I’m not really a fan if it transpires like it sounds like it will.

Jobe led us through the mud
Heppell has led us through more mud
but just hand the captaincy over, and hopefully we find some clearer waters.

I agree with Wim we have the leaders, they just need the opportunity.

A lot more direction from the box will help with the leadership, rather than rely on Heppell.

I don’t hate the idea of Heppell so long as Scott is prepared to drop him if there are better options in the best 22. Although it would be hard not to argue that it could be an opportunity missed.

1 Like

where did you hear brad scott talking?

FoxSports News. From our Bendigo training session.

2 Likes

Not sure where Hep fits this year, he hasn’t got the pace, agility or kicking efficiency to play on the wing or halfback and he hasn’t played midfield in years, where do you hide him so he’s not a liability ?

Same old sh-t.

Fk this football club, not worth the energy.

3 Likes

Hep has always looked good to the coaches because he does everything you would want from a leader off field. When Scott sees his on field performance and leadership on game day though, he might regret his decision.

3 Likes

Perhaps Scott’s view could be that the other options are not quite ready and that dropping the captaincy on them could be detrimental to their confidence and development. Remember Melb dropping Trengove and Jack Grimes as co-captains, only to completely burn them out.

Will be interesting to see who is on the leadershop team then as the likely next captain

1 Like

I imagine Brasher’s lent him some tapes from AFL sporting video so he can review Hep’s play.

To be fair, Ham’s delisting left a gaping hole in the leadership stakes!

Lol at some of you lot.

1 Like

i dont do best 22’s but if i did …you know what im thinking…