Essendon def Essendon - GWS gifted win - review

Still angry about that goal review
The problem with that goal review was that they over ruled a goal on seemingly non conclusive evidence
For those watching on telly, what was the original decision by the goal ump?

Enjoyed this game very much. If you thought about going and didn’t show then it’s your loss, this was a spirited performance in front of an excellently feral partisan crowd. Captain BJ was magnificent, trying to will us back into the game and constantly put his body on the line. Jamar and Lewie combined well, and Cooney needs at least another year because he’s now back to his Bulldogs form. I loved the endeavour of Marty G and Ashby but both turned it over at crucial times.

Zac Merrett seemed to get a ton of it and used it mostly pretty well. Most of Walla’s work was sublime, and although I doubt Stokes will be in the best 22 next year he has “the knack” and looked dangerous. And Gwilty was superb for us tonight, probably his best game for the club.

Most of the boys played well but Orazio and Mitch deserve a special mention. I’ve not seen our forward line look that potent for a long time. I know their goal kicking needs to improve, although to be fair Razz’s misses were very close, but just to have an expectation that something’s going to happen when we go forward made the game enjoyable. Both players are prepared to present and both are prepared to run back into packs with the flight of the ball. The courage of Razz on the wing right in front of me was astonishing.

In the end we have ourselves to blame. Kick straight and we win those. I’m happy and proud to yet again cheer these boys off after a loss - what a magnificent supporter group we’ve been and continue to be - but cheering honourable losses has a “Use by” date and that date is September 2016.

In fairness to the crowd numbers, we barely get 35k when we were playing well, let alone when we're on only 1 win and on the twilight timeslot and expected to get done by 100+.
It's no good. Lowest crowd since 1991 V Brisbane at Windy Hill. C'mon you people.

Knew what type of game we were going to get after that score review.

Actually I knew what type of game we were going to get when Nicholls was the umpire.

Can someone explain to me what the (virtually) goal square free kick against Ambrose and to that debutant was for? I assumed it was high but on replay it was nowhere near high (not that that means the umpires wouldn’t pay it). If it was for holding the man/slinging that is an absolute ■■■■■■■ disgrace. Like holy HELL. It’s not Ambrose’s fault the guy just coughed up the fkn pill the instant he felt any contact? Are you supposed to watch the ball like a hawk and instantly cease any and all “touching” the instant the pric drops the ball? FK ME.

Can someone explain to me what the (virtually) goal square free kick against Ambrose and to that debutant was for? I assumed it was high but on replay it was nowhere near high (not that that means the umpires wouldn't pay it). If it was for holding the man/slinging that is an absolute ■■■■■■■ disgrace. Like holy HELL. It's not Ambrose's fault the guy just coughed up the fkn pill the instant he felt any contact? Are you supposed to watch the ball like a hawk and instantly cease any and all "touching" the instant the pric drops the ball? FK ME.

It was called for holding the man

If anyone watches the replay jot down the timestamps for the ■■■■■■ decisions. It’s almost Youtube compilation worthy.

Ambrose free against in square - goal.
Hams non-free 30 out dead in front right side for left footer - 90% goal.
Tippa non-high in D50 - goal.

Plus a million more. What a fkn JOKE

Sh*t crowd. What's wrong with you people?

There is a lot wrong with me. Where should I start?

I’ve got a home game membership so I’m there in spirit

The problem with that goal review was that they over ruled a goal on seemingly non conclusive evidence

She called it a goal.

Pretty sure she said goal.

Can someone explain to me what the (virtually) goal square free kick against Ambrose and to that debutant was for? I assumed it was high but on replay it was nowhere near high (not that that means the umpires wouldn't pay it). If it was for holding the man/slinging that is an absolute ■■■■■■■ disgrace. Like holy HELL. It's not Ambrose's fault the guy just coughed up the fkn pill the instant he felt any contact? Are you supposed to watch the ball like a hawk and instantly cease any and all "touching" the instant the pric drops the ball? FK ME.

Should have been against him for incorrect disposal as he dropped it when grabbed.

Loved the effort and intensity but disliked the basic skill errors and set shots. Can't believe clubs have a coaching staff of thousands but don't have a full time goal kicking coach. ■■■■ off a nutritionist or one of those other wankey jobs and employ one FFS. So many games are lost due to guys missing sitters

Agreed 100%. The umpires stole the game for us but it should never gotten that far. Take away the 2 front running goals when we understandably gave up, we lose by 15. We missed WAY WAY more than 3 gettable shots. WAY.

Plus we were SPENT. I’m hoping it’s a sign of our young list and we will run games out better next year (insert supplements joke).

Normally with ■■■■ decisions there’s a degree of interpretation and you can see why the decision was made even though it was wrong. Tonight there were 5 black and white, 100% conclusive decisions which went against us. 4 resulted directly in GWS goals, and the other should have resulted in a shot at goal from 30m out on a slight angle.

• score review
  • bump from Tippa (wasn’t paid downfield so it was adjudicated to be in the action of kicking)
  • too high to that ■■■■ Kennedy (Stan Alves said on the radio that “nothing has come easy for him”. Apart from a too high for being tackled around the ribs)
  • Too high on Tippa
  • Too high on Hams

I can see the argument that we would have nicked it if we’d won, but that’s what upsets look like when top 4 teams play bottom 4 teams. They’re scrappy, the bottom team is wasteful, the top team carves them on the rebound, but the bottom team outworks them. That’s how today played, and the result was affected by the umpires.

I’m ■■■■■■■ furious.

Two real highlights for me today.

Roffey - “I believe it was a goal but I’d just like to check”

Umpire - “There is no conclusive evidence, confirm score is a behind”

AND

Nicholls - “Im reporting you for swearing”

Just in case there was any doubt that AFL wanted to salt our wounds before we get up and about again next year.

Sounds somewhat familiar…

Loved the effort and intensity but disliked the basic skill errors and set shots. Can't believe clubs have a coaching staff of thousands but don't have a full time goal kicking coach. ■■■■ off a nutritionist or one of those other wankey jobs and employ one FFS. So many games are lost due to guys missing sitters

Everything else was great.
Is it confidence?

Wish Tippa had stayed on during last Q.

goal - was the goal umpire's original call

“Gwilt was one our best” HAHAHAHAHAHA

Only got to see bits and pieces on the TV, but what I saw, I liked.

The extremes of the way we play are magnified this season for obvious reasons. But from the sounds of things, if we can play the right way, at the right time against the right teams. We will win a couple more games this year.

T.Bell.

You have some genuine competition.