Essendon Indigenous Players poster

No Mal Michael or Cupido?

No Mal Michael or Cupido?

Seeing you didn’t include Gwilt I will give you a serious response.

Mal Michael is from Papua New Guinea and Cupido is from South Africa.

Murphy. It still feels wrong…

Murphy. It still feels wrong....

Never happened.

After the last few years, I look back on the Murphy/Allen era with a degree of fondness.

After the last few years, I look back on the Murphy/Allen era with a degree of fondness.
But surely not Camporeale.
Why did David Flood never make it? Good, serviceable player. I remember us playing him in that season starter at Waverley in 1985 and he kicked 3 or 4 as a 16-yo, against one of Hawthorn's best defenders. Sort of the equivalent of the FA Charity Shield. I think he starred in the Wimmera as a 15-yo. Nhill boy, I think.
And yet you never heard him whinging, unlike a certain bloke who also got dropped after the 93 PF & never spoke to Sheeds again.

Yet one had a serviceable game in the PF, while the loud one barely had a sniff.

Come on be fair, Derek had been played as an impact player off the bench for a number of games, much like a sub, and he went off the boil consequently.

Sheedy was no Bart Cummings when it came to preparing Kickett for the big game, he was out of form, but I reckon it was because he wasn’t giving him enough game time, despite some very good play in bursts late in the season / early in the final series. They didn’t rotate in those days like they do now.

As Noonan said, he didn’t get a sniff for 3 finals games in a row. He had his chances & blew it.

Considering he claims Tim Watson was also out of form & should have been the one dropped not him, who do you personally think should have made way for him in the that team? You can’t say Wallis for team balance purposes (he took Flood’s spot anyway), plus Wally ended up causing havoc that day, on Mil Hanna & Carlton’s FB of the century.

I’ll cop Camporeale, but anyone who looks back on Murphy with fondness should have there membership revoked, and various body parts broken/severely injured if they ever come near any of our games and/or facilities. Justin Murphy … FFS!

I’ll cop Camporeale, but anyone who looks back on Murphy with fondness should have there membership revoked, and various body parts broken/severely injured if they ever come near any of our games and/or facilities. Justin Murphy … FFS!

I remember reading somewhere that he was given a job in a pub after footy and he was dumb as dogsh#t. Apparently couldnt stack the fridge without getting confused.

Why did David Flood never make it? Good, serviceable player. I remember us playing him in that season starter at Waverley in 1985 and he kicked 3 or 4 as a 16-yo, against one of Hawthorn's best defenders. Sort of the equivalent of the FA Charity Shield. I think he starred in the Wimmera as a 15-yo. Nhill boy, I think.
And yet you never heard him whinging, unlike a certain bloke who also got dropped after the 93 PF & never spoke to Sheeds again.

Yet one had a serviceable game in the PF, while the loud one barely had a sniff.

Come on be fair, Derek had been played as an impact player off the bench for a number of games, much like a sub, and he went off the boil consequently.

Sheedy was no Bart Cummings when it came to preparing Kickett for the big game, he was out of form, but I reckon it was because he wasn’t giving him enough game time, despite some very good play in bursts late in the season / early in the final series. They didn’t rotate in those days like they do now.

As Noonan said, he didn’t get a sniff for 3 finals games in a row. He had his chances & blew it.

Considering he claims Tim Watson was also out of form & should have been the one dropped not him, who do you personally think should have made way for him in the that team? You can’t say Wallis for team balance purposes (he took Flood’s spot anyway), plus Wally ended up causing havoc that day, on Mil Hanna & Carlton’s FB of the century.

Yeah…Tim Watson who had 2 great games against Carlton and Adelaide. Quiet against West Coast. Kickett couldn’t have told you what brand of footy we were using.

I think in one of the finals, he’d been on the bench for the first quarter, and didn’t even bother coming out for the quarter-time break.

I recall that Sheedy was sold on the idea of Kickett as an impact player off the bench after he did a 60m torp shortly after he came on, probably was late in the season. As for who should have made way for him? No one, he was out of form. The point I was making is that Sheedy seemed to be experimenting with him off the bench and it didn’t work.

So Richard Cole made the poster…

It’s a shame Winnis Imbi never played a senior game. Or Marcus Pickett who claim to fame during the 2000 season was writing off a car much like Bryon wrote of careers.

Sheedy gave a warning in the media about 2-3 weeks before the GF that he wasn’t kicking enough goals, unlucky, but bad form at the wrong time of year, Flood was also unlucky, In 1984 Buhagiar played well in the PF with 23 possessions and got dropped because Sheedy was unsure if his knee would hold up to the pressure of a GF.

Sheedy gave a warning in the media about 2-3 weeks before the GF that he wasn’t kicking enough goals, unlucky, but bad form at the wrong time of year, Flood was also unlucky, In 1984 Buhagiar played well in the PF with 23 possessions and got dropped because Sheedy was unsure if his knee would hold up to the pressure of a GF.

Did Sheeds forget that he kicked 8 against Footscray at the 'G, in the wet, a few weeks out from the finals to get us over the line in a tight contest?

Derek was kicking them from everywhere that day.

His form slump after that game was incredibly drastic.

Kickett’s main gripe about being left out of the GF side was more about the lack of respect afforded to him on Sheedy’s behalf in not delivering the message personally to him about being dropped and getting someone else to deliver it to him second hand.

Before then, Derek held Sheeds in such high regard as to see him almost as a father figure to him.

I’ve had this discussion with a mate that is fairly close to him from country WA and can vouch for this version of events, plus I remember reading in an interview in the paper that Derek had said as much.

I loved Derek Kickett from the day he pulled on a West Perth guernsey, under Dennis Commetti as coach back in 1984. Was disappointed when he joined Norf in the late eighties where he proceeded to turn it on against us when they narrowly beat Essendon, but then see him walk out on them after one season there to join us.

Was a bitterly sad end to his playing days at Essendon and his subsequent bagging of Sheeds publicly through the media once he got to the Swans.

Both he and Sheeds could’ve handled things a lot better imo.

1 Like

I only had this delivered the other day… Not bad condition for a 68 year old card…

Ok so image didn’t load…
1949 cornies. Norm McDonald