Essendon looking more "Richmondy"

It’s super obvious that we are going to be a better team than last year. May as well be the best. :smiley:

1 Like

Well, you can be sure one of the “Richmondy” teams will.

“Richmondy”, … ffs. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That was before, this is now, tomorrow will be another day.

1 Like

One swallow…

It’s not really a “Richmond” model - it’s about a playing style that leads to an effective and sustainable form of ball movement.

It was pretty obvious in the WC game that we’ve adopted a different style - one that relies on shorter passing and handballing to transfer the ball out of defence and through the midfield, as well as using shorter passes for (sometimes) shallower F50 entries. We also had more runners involved in these passages of play, supporting the ball movement by offering options and making defensive efforts for the ball carrier before and after a disposal.

Rather than saying we’re trying to copy Richmond, which is just lazy footy journos looking at where our coaches used to be, I’d say the coaching team have looked at our list and our games last year to work out what style and structural improvements needed to be made.

Obviously we’re 1 Marsh Cup game in so we shouldn’t be too excited yet, but I’d be willing to make a pretty big bet that we wouldn’t have suffered anything like the losses we did in the Port and Dogs games last year if we used the game style we played against West Coast.

4 Likes

I don’t know about Richmond, but that’s how the Bulldogs pulled our pants down, to the tune of 20 straight goals to 0 in 2019.

Full points to the Bulldogs. What was far far worse is that over 2 quarters, none of our players, and none of our coaches had an answer. ( an answer that worked anyway)

“Essendon Looking more Essendony!”

Fark Richmond.

Richmond copied the dogs game plan. Ask any dogs supporter

Ohhh ffs. I forgot about this match.

Mr brother, the ultimate lid on, Essendon pessimist, caught up with Barry Young this week. He plays golf with a few of the Bomber boys and he said that the Rutten/Caracella regime has lifted the place. The players are loving what’s being put in place, they are working hard. Woosha is very much on the periphery. He’s there but he’s very much delegated the whole thing to Truck. He’s running the show. I know we’ve had our injuries in pre-season but the boys will be ready, well coached, disciplined and playing a style of footy that will stand up in finals.

32 Likes

This is great news. I think we’ll see a lot of improvement from a lot of players simply by having a game plan the players believe in and can execute predictably. It’s only one game I know, but the difference to last year was stark…

It’s also says something about Woosha’s character and lack of ego that he is willing to step back and hand over the reigns in the way he has (or appears to have). He may not be the greatest coach, but he has integrity and puts the club first.

10 Likes

1 Like

I quite liked Barry Young at Essendon. Why’d he leave?

I’d say BLOODSTAINED is spot on, bombers hopefully getting back to being the mighty bombers after we appointed an ex richmond flog who started all these years of ■■■■■ all those years ago.

1 Like

Marrital shennanigans. Others will know the full story. IIRC BY was the innocent party.

2 Likes

Lol now that would be a fun coterie group, everyone just getting blind and sweary. I imagine a blitz game day thread, but in a physical room with an open bar.

3 Likes

Yeah. The guilty party left a season prior. Baz left Essendon due to salary cap constraints. Apparently it’s the biggest regret of his life leaving EFC.

3 Likes

My lid is half closed after hearing this

Not to doubt you Smooth but this sounds eerily similar to the “my friend played golf with McPhee’s dad who said…” lol

Seriously, I’ve been hearing similar good things about morale and the Truck/Cara tandem.

Baz is the one who plays golf with the boys. My bro is his accountant.