Essendon racist supporters

Would people distinguish between saying someone was behaving like a monkey and looking like one?

Do we need to tell Kobe Bryant he can’t call himself the Black Mumba anymore because it incites racism?

I’m with Boot, some things are blatantly racist others blatantly not so.

If I say a guy at the gym looks like a Gorilla cos his shoulders are rolled so far forward is that racist to someone of African background?

Anyway, normally when we sledged it was in reference to the players mum or sister (unless they had red hair then it was open season)

A different supporter was being called out on twitter (with seat number listed and the club account pinged in) last night by an Essendon supporter I follow.

It's a shame to see there are multiple of our supporters who are doing this. Glad they're being called on it though.

My memory is a bit unclear but a decade or so ago a Danish or French newspaper printed cartoons that Muslims found offensive and there were riots or protects. Initially I didn't understand why that got upset - as a Christian I'm used to the pope and others being impersonated and made fun of.

Later in an interview a Muslims leader said just because you are not offended by cartoons of your religious leader does not mean I am not offended by cartoons of my religious leaders For me this was a 'penny dropped' moment.  It's not what I think of the cartoon, it's what another person thinks of it' and I have no right to expect them to see things my way.

As has been said before in this thread, calling some people monkeys can be offensive. Whether its just a joke comment, an insult or racist is to some extent irrelevant. If the person finds it offensive, why say it?

Perfectly stated Jaca

/end thread

My memory is a bit unclear but a decade or so ago a Danish or French newspaper printed cartoons that Muslims found offensive and there were riots or protects. Initially I didn't understand why that got upset - as a Christian I'm used to the pope and others being impersonated and made fun of.

Later in an interview a Muslims leader said just because you are not offended by cartoons of your religious leader does not mean I am not offended by cartoons of my religious leaders For me this was a 'penny dropped' moment.  It's not what I think of the cartoon, it's what another person thinks of it' and I have no right to expect them to see things my way.

As has been said before in this thread, calling some people monkeys can be offensive. Whether its just a joke comment, an insult or racist is to some extent irrelevant. If the person finds it offensive, why say it?

So you have no right to expect them to see things your way but they have the right to expect you to see things their way?  Am I doing it right? 

I don’t get the “my right to a pretty crap joke over-rides your right not to feel like absolute ■■■■ with all the connotations attached to said joke” crew.

Self importance IMHO.

I have heaps of crap jokes, I can live without that one.

Later in an interview a Muslims leader said just because you are not offended by cartoons of your religious leader does not mean I am not offended by cartoons of my religious leaders For me this was a 'penny dropped' moment. It's not what I think of the cartoon, it's what another person thinks of it' and I have no right to expect them to see things my way.
As has been said before in this thread, calling some people monkeys can be offensive. Whether its just a joke comment, an insult or racist is to some extent irrelevant. If the person finds it offensive, why say it?

So you have no right to expect them to see things your way but they have the right to expect you to see things their way? Am I doing it right?
Cartoons should be an inalienable human right protected by the UN.
Those major newspapers are so oppressed, man.

Probably to offend them.

Why was he being boo’ed all night?

If we have to have the "why calling someone a monkey is racist" discussion again I'm going to go  bit Toby Green.

I don't think calling Asian people 'power point heads' is racist. I mean, they look like power points, don't they? It's not even a race issue, it's an issue about power points...  

How anyone can not see the connotations of calling someone a monkey who is black is beyond me. The history of such thought is appalling and is what led to some terrible atrocities. If you can't understand why Adam Goodes would be offended by that then you are clearly looking at it from a position of white privilege. 

I have held the view that Adam Goodes looks like a monkey for years. He seriously does and it has nothing to do with what race colour or religion he is.
It sounds like this particular person was trying to use it in a racial slur though which is disgusting but I'm also sick of people just pulling out the racist card straight away on things when it's not always the case. Anyway I'm not getting into it. I think he looks like a monkey. He is a champion player Goode on him.

Jesus Christ.
You dont Agee he looks like a monkey??
No, and it's the root of this whole problem, people saying such things, to begin with.
No it's not. It's people being over sensitive and creating links that weren't there until their racists little minds decide to interpenetrate someone else's words in the image of their own thought processes. Some things are absolutely out and out racist; thinking that someone looks like a particular animal is not necessarily so.
I'm referring to black people being compared to apes. There are years and years of history behind that, awful, racist history of people not only saying such things but believing if and treating people as sub-human because of it. You can't separate the call being made and the history that comes with it. Not all animal/human comparisons carry historical weight, but this most definitely does. So you have to leave it alone, don't go there, don't even think it.

This

Anyone with any idea about the history of enslaving black people will know that saying a black person looks like an ape is about as bad as it gets..

That is the definition of ignorant

just lock this thread its not going anywhere

can't we all just get back to abusing the umps....

just lock this thread its not going anywhere

can't we all just get back to abusing the umps....

no, seems thats a much more sensitive issue, and theyve locked it too.

seems we;ve only got caro and ASADA and Gary Lyon to abuse.

Why was he being boo'ed all night?

Yeah, I didn't understand that either, did he do something that I didn't see? I sit behind the posts so generally only see half the game properly.

Why was he being boo'ed all night?

Yeah, I didn't understand that either, did he do something that I didn't see? I sit behind the posts so generally only see half the game properly.

If you are asking about goodies, it's explained on the previous page I think. He is a turd plain and simple

Bored at work can now enjoy a holiday .

Will clean this thread up when I am not on mobile.

In meantime, farking behave yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkhl-CgETg

Lol @ this thread. Needs more bolt & brandis.