Essendon’s Ten Best Hangers - (nothing to do with Dodoro's jackets)

Well, Albert Thurgood should also get a mention in the famous hangers of Essendon.

They should change the title of this feature to “Best Hangers by players young people know and we can easily find video for”

And just coz:

9 Likes

I remember my one and only hanger from my playing days very vividly. I got caught between two opponents on the wing and jumped early straight up on to the guy in front and deliberately fell back into the guy behind to stop him jumping. Ended up almost horizontal across the two of them looking up as the ball landed on my chest. I was as shocked as the bloke I jumped on. I never went close to doing anything like it every again and I reckon the ump was probably generous in the first place to have paid it. I remember lying flat on my back on the ground quite stunned before a teammate ran up and said ■■■ you were so ■■■■■■■ high. Dined out on it all week at school. Played on by hand to the ruckman running around the back for the cheap one, clearly I was still out of it.

4 Likes

I was at the game when Coleman took that mark. It was not unusual for him as he sometimes did that more tan once in a game.
The other Essendon player looking on in this photo I think was either Stan Booth or Hutchinson

14 Likes

Sorry, but he was definitely hanging. Mid air.

1 Like

Your definition of a hanger differs from mine.

Always thought P Somerville’s effort over P Harding and D Irvine was a pearler. He needed oxygen up there.

1 Like

The kickett one was a classic actually, better than this years daniher one IMO.

1 Like

One hangar that wasn’t, that would’ve been an all time classic was one taken by Dale Kickett in '94 against Fark Carlton out at Waverley Park.

It was a huge pack mark taken right on, or a split second, after the final siren where we beat them by 1 point I think. It occured on the members wing.

It was a shame that it wasn’t paid as it was that good.

1 Like

Number 3 is up. Matthew Lloyd

24 pm

My guess is the Ezard mark over J.Madden at Waverley will be number 2.

3 Likes

Reckon wanganeen had 2-3 better marks than the one selected.

Todd Ridley, stiff
Mark Johnson, stiff
Alan Ezard, stiff
Jeremy Howe, robbed

Awesome description. I was standing on the outer wing with the wind sock to my right and had never seen a player get two rides within the one leap and mark. Was an absolute star big Sime. That may have been around the time when his kicking at goal was an absolute nightmare and he had the yips. Great Bomber man.

1 Like

Ridley and Symons took a few rippers.
As did Geoff Blethyn.
But I’ll always remember an enormous mark taken by Frank Dunnell in the reserves. It was at the Reynolds Stand end was very similar to the famous Roach mark.
Just HUGE!

1 Like

Earlier in the game Lloyd went for one on the members wing which was even bigger, very nearly pulled it in too

That will learn me to edit with a coffee in one hand.

Adam McPhee a chance?

No, he’s a flog.

2 Likes

Number 2 is up, and it’s Joe Daniher (again)

12 pm

2 Likes

I guess Joe could just about fill up the whole top 10, but I’m surprised there wasn’t some Coleman footage to put in.

I guess that means #1 must be Moorcroft. I was there that night and I have never sensed a more instant electric buzz around the ground. Already the crowd was up and about, b/c the little guy had just kicked two goals in a couple of minutes, and then when he took that one, docklands went all Spinal-tap-volume-11. I think GM also busted something in his back when he landed which never fully recovered.

3 Likes

#1 will be moorcroft I guess.

1 Like