Essendon’s Ten Best Hangers - (nothing to do with Dodoro's jackets)

yeah was there to. I think the entire crowd went into shock for a few moments

That really is a huge mark by jd

1 Like

never get sick of lav punching the saints player in the head.

7 Likes

No Van der Haar, or even Harves who took some beauties.
Yeah, great marks, but rename the compilation to best hangers we’ve got quality video of ( with a token appearance by Madden to show footy happened before 1990)
Then again, for Blitzers under 30 it didn’t.
Cue generational argument in another thread,
“In my day …”

4 Likes

MCG honoured the great man.

ccd5b43e5c05c67492250e5e1f15598d

3 Likes

Higher than Gumby out at Latrobe.

2 Likes

Moorcroft mark is far and away the best mark I have ever seen live. Insanity

3 Likes

gb

15 Likes

Blethyn was an aerialist / and could convert with the 60 yard torpedoe.

1 Like

My favourite player when I was a lad. He had the knack of hanging in space for ages before a mark, knee resting gently on his luckless opponent’s shoulder. He looked twenty feet tall to me.

Is that you, Dan Quayle?

Disappointing not to see more marks from pre 1990. Surely Vanders had one equal to some of the ones in this top 10. As for Coleman’s non inclusion that is almost disrespectful to our great club’s history.

2 Likes

Legend.

8 Likes

Think you’ll find that was versus Richmond (yes, it’s stupid we played there). It was shown in the highlights that night and I remember it well as I was in the second row immediately behind it!

This is likely also the game where Wanganeen kicked that amazing goal while being pushed over the pocket boundary line.

1 Like

I definitely remember one against Fitzroy, but I’m sure it was a the G.

That Wanganeen goal is one of my favourites of all time, utterly ridiculous. I remember being at that game in the section right behind the goals where he kicked it. I was only 11 and stood on beer cans to get a better view.

Vanders was working in the Marsh a few years ago installing Spas, and stayed at a local pub. He told us about every one of those marks and lots more.

Nice guy, great champion and can tell a story.

5 Likes

Being one of those of the younger generation that hasn’t watched much old Bombers stuff, jeez Joey Daniher reminds me of how Van Der Haar played. Jumped early, out of position a lot but just clunks em.

The way Van Der Haar reads the ball through the air in that clip is amazing.
You just don’t see that today.

Edit: Or perhaps players don’t open themselves up like they used to.

1 Like

Particularly enjoyed, at around the 2 minute mark of the video, possibly Mick Malthouse’s only appearance in a highlights package that doesn’t involve belting someone.
(Kicks out to set up a Vander screamer)

2 Likes