Essendon v Carlton review

Backing up from two huge games in Sydney (we ran out of legs) and Hawthorn (a huge and emotional win) we were always going to be down today, both physically and mentally.

I guess that was Sydney’s excuse in last year’s grand final

Out Stanton

29 disp
10 contested posssessions (equal best)
8 marks
5 tackles (equal second best)
2 clearances
3 I50s
2 rebound 50’s
83% efficiency

and you want to drop him?

Not sure who was the Blues player who bumped Goddard but I’m pretty sure he’ll be gone for at least a week seeing as he made contact with his shoulder to Goddard’s head.

Come to Sandy and see a contested disposal winner in HAMS.

Not sure who was the Blues player who bumped Goddard but I'm pretty sure he'll be gone for at least a week seeing as he made contact with his shoulder to Goddard's head.

Squibbs.

ftfy

We looked like we did last year back to back against the Dogs and Lions in two of the worst wins I’ve ever seen.

He just looked lazy at times Bellchambers

Why are we not playing Giles? He’s not hurt is he?

Bellchambers got absolutely pantsed.

At least it was a win, in the past playing like that almost guaranteed a loss.

Midfield may need a tweak. Bags would be a good chance to play on Elliot and Melky in an offensive role would be good to see.

Give Ashby a full game on Anzac Day. Has a good crack and doesn’t take a backward step. If Demps plays I’d think about a fwd defensive role. Chase & tackle all game.

Why are we not playing Giles? He's not hurt is he?

By Wood. WOOD.

Out Stanton

You’re just trolling right?
Really hope so.

Why are we not playing Giles? He's not hurt is he?

Because he was woeful all preseason and hasn’t done much since. I 100% believe we need a second ruckman in the side because having Ambrose rucking in that last quarter was a joke. He isn’t a ruckmans ■■■■■■■. I don’t know if Giles is the answer or SMack but one of them needs to play next week.

I really just hope they are building and will be playing their best footy at the right time of the year.
Next week is 50/50 at best.

You can pretty much cherry pick anything you want from that one.

The optimist will say it was a 21 point win over an inspired Carlton on a day when we did not play our best, but never really looked like we were going to be beaten.

The pessimist could say that Carlton outplayed us, smashed us in clearances, and should have beaten us by a fair margin with any kind of accuracy in front of goal.

Both of these viewpoints would be correct… we can only be glad that the score is the ultimate result here, because it was not by any means a performance to be terribly proud of.

The fourth quarter, again, is a huge huge problem. At least this time we gave ourselves enough of a buffer to deal with it.

We have an amazing inability, once again, to land a knockout punch. Bellchambers should be savaged for that miss. Carlisle’s wasn’t quite as bad but the context of being right after Belly’s made it look worse. The botched kick-ins. Some of the stupid, soft frees.

These guys have got to suck it up and be more disciplined and professional… these little things, or rather the failure to do these little things, are the things that add up and begin to snowball against us every week, and turn these easy victories into heart attacks.

Right now, we have a premiership contending side trapped inside an improving but still uncertain one… one that has talent but does not have what it takes mentally just yet. They need to learn how to be ruthless, arrogant, and clinical from start to finish.

I don’t know if it was the atmosphere or what, but this game felt like a practice match during the second half. No intensity, no crowd, no real spark from anybody.

Perhaps it is unfair to be so critical after a win over Carlton, but I really think we should expect better.

That’s the bottom line,we should be expecting better.

The scoreline is irrelevant, if we’d won by one point, but had come out and played the same way that they did against Sydney and Hawthorn, so be it you can cop that cos the intensity and endevour would have been there.

But they came out and do exactly what they do everytime they play a ■■■■■■ side, they waltzed up to the game thinking they had the win in the bag, and they’d only have to put in minimal amount of effort and they’d smash the opposition.

It’s the exact same mentality they take into Melbourne games, thankfully it didn’t cost a win today, but the mental process by which they approach a game based on the oppositions supposed worth, still needs drastic improving.

They aren’t a good enough side yet to pick and choose when they want to turn up and put in minimal effort against sides on a consistent basis.
The first 2 games should be the bench mark, anyting below that is not acceptable.

Channel 7 coverage of the game is soo shithouse it’s just not funny

Yeah, when the opposition is coming (sorta), with only a few minutes to go in the game and Ambrose is in the ruck… Something’s not working.

YIKES

Out Stanton

You’re just trolling right?
Really hope so.

Me too.

Thought Stanton was good today.

I like to be positive so…

Um…

At leadt we have Lots of room to improve?

Ok so
Watto was very good albeit with some shocking skills early

Zerrett very very good after qtr time

Trav exceptional all day, a couple of fantatsic weighted passes to players running away from him

Hurls and hooksy very good hooks especially late

Meh 4 points, reload for ANZAC day