Essendon vs Geelong - Review

I think we’d win by 10 goals

2 Likes

Who cares. We aren’t going to play finals.

I would rather lose now, and get a better pick.

4 Likes

Like i said in the match thread lots of postive movement this season but that game shows we still have a long way to go.

6 Likes

Cox needs a rest no point winning all our games is there :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Smith
Ham
Cutler

Should never play again. Ever.

Hooker gets a farewell match and nothing more.

2 Likes

I feel comfortable when Ridley is going up in a contest. He is a gun.

21 Likes

Most supporters came into this year thinking we were going to be bottom 4. Reality is at the start of the year I would have expected a 10+ goal loss this game.

Due to Merrett/Parish firing, and a couple of recruits doing better than expected, it seems like many have set unrealistic expectations.

The kids are getting tired, and we have the depth of a bottom 4 side, so we don’t really have any real options to bring in to fix the problems.

I hate losing to any team, but the reality is that this is where the side is at.

We have an easier draw to end the year, hopefully we get a few more wins on the board and let’s have a good draft and trade period and find some forwards/defenders.

15 Likes

We’re a bottom side that lost 4 of our best players over the offseason. We were widely tipped for bottom 4 this year. Looking at the draw, we’ll probably win a few more games still to keep the excitement up.
In any case the wins have been great, but we’re clearly nowhere near it yet. Keep pumping games into the kids, then hit the draft with some high picks this year and hopefully the rebuild will continue to turn around next season.

9 Likes

only sitting 8th in the coleman pfffft put him out to pasture lads

2 Likes

First quarter and Darcy Parish.

Everything else gives me a bit of a headache right now.

1 Like

like the kid who won the rising star 2 weeks ago.

How quickly we forget.

I just knew we were going to roll over the moment Cameron kicked the goal in the first

4 Likes

Didn’t expect to lose by that much but surely didn’t expect us to win.
Ham and Cutler are not up to it, hookers tired and giving everything but is at the end of his career.

I would be happy not to see Cutler or ham in again, but our VFL team barely got on the park this year. There is very little if no available talent in the VFL.

So we make sure we finish bottom 5, but get some good experience into the kids. Need a key forward, as well as a forwards coach

10 Likes

the more things change, the more things stay the same.
can’t stop big runs of goals
struggle in the wet
struggle against bigger bodied sides
struggle against well structured sides.
panic when balls on ground and make way too many basic fundamentally bad/poor decisions.
poor selections

could go on, but what’s the point.

efforts there which is good to see, but geez it’s just so easily undone by all the above.

10 Likes

Not a surprise at this stage of the season playing down at Geelong. Good game for our younger players to see what it’s all about. Parish, Merrett and Stringer are stars, well played Hind and Dys, but too many just couldn’t get into the game at all.

Nice to see Archie, Cox and Harry trying to the end, despite it being a rough night. Remembering back to the St Kilda game at Etihad when we just game up, I’m still happy to see our young guys having a dip, even when they’re just out of high school playing against men. Keep sending them up.

5 Likes

Geelong won’t have a 41 point win as flattering as that for a very long time.

They deserved the win but I don’t think, apart from 10-15 minutes in the 2nd quarter, we were disgraced in any way. None of you should need reminding how good Geelong have been on their home ground for the best part of 15 years now and it was always going to be a massive challenge.

Our three worst losses this year (Port, Lions, Geelong) are all contenders this year and all losses on their home grounds. Not too bad for a side widely tipped for bottom 4.

Two 6 day breaks consecutively when playing two top 4 teams. Really not ideal but can’t change that.

There will be changes next week, some surprising ones I’m predicting, before playing the Crows.

Apart from the Bulldogs game, we have six very winnable games (out of 7) coming up to end the season. Let’s end the year on a high and win a majority of the ones we should be before a MASSIVE pre-season.

20 Likes

fortunately we’re not playing those teams tonight

1 Like

Yep, maybe he can coach……

….only playing, needs a rest but

We are carrying a lot of non contributors. But the key tonight was a lack of composure. When we had the full press going early we controlled the game and when that broke up we just got a bit panicky. We had enough inside 50s. I think we took 1 mark with 35 inside 50s at one point and that’s pretty tough.

4 Likes

After quarter time pretty average. We still concede massive runs of goals without reply, we had a very healthy lead heading into QT and completely capitulate in the 2nd. That has to stop. It’s not so much that we can’t sustain that high level for 4 quarters, it’s the fact we go from that, to the crap we fished up in the next 20 mins. We saw it Round 1. It’s the 4th time I can think of this year where we have been 4+ goals up in a game and lost. This Cats team is a flag threat, so they are among the best in the AFL, but it’s a big reminder how far off it we are.

Young boys have hit the wall. If we weren’t so injury riddled you’d give them a spell. We have nothing on the shelf. Who do we bring in, Marty Gleeson?

4 Likes