Essendon vs Geelong - Review

Three key talls, and a medium in Waterman, yet we can’t mark a thing inside 50.

Forward line structure needs a total overhaul.

13 Likes

Perhaps a BATH?

1 Like

It’s pretty clear we need a big, strong KPD and, after tonight, a big strong KPF, too.

5 Likes

You need key forwards who
Can play. Do we really have any apart from Jones who has potential but very raw?

1 Like

Had we got the Choccies tonight, we would have gotten ahead of ourselves but gee it would have been nice.

All I want for Christmas is a win against the Dogs and a healthy Jye Caldwell for 22

2 Likes

Put them to bed. It’s three players.

1 Like

Teague and Carlton have the same problem

Beaten by a better team. Played dumb, dumb footy after Q1. Gap between our best 3-4 and the next crop too big unfortunately. Durham and Reid simply must play next week.

2 Likes

Two things:

1. How the ■■■■ do you go through the pain of childbirth just to name a kid Grian?
  2. Danger is the biggest FIGJAM since Nathan Buckley and I hope Geelong have no success until he retires.
21 Likes

In the first quarter the way Hind chased down the ball and touched it on the goal line was great. He never gives up and copped a couple of bad decisions from the umps tonight I thought.

19 Likes

Reckon it’s the delivery. Did it well in the first and then not so well for the rest of game.

Obviously something to be working on.

1 Like

We are carrying too many non contributors.

2 Likes

These are two fantastic takes.

And the username really rams them home.

Full marks.

2 Likes

Forward line holding us back big time and I don’t think it will change in 2022 with our current list of KPF options

I think the disappointment is because we’ve probably overachieved slightly this year and all of a sudden our expectations rise and we forget that many of this side have played less than 50 games in their respective positions. I can’t fault the effort. The boys tried every quarter and we were clearly knackered by the end and we have some noticeable gaps that we are trying to plug (albeit unsuccesfully). Geelong at home is a tough gig for lots of team so we were always going to find it tough. Conditions made it a slog as well so I think the result was almost inevitable.

14 Likes

Forget the discussion about whether we need mids/ forwards or mids… we just need quality AFL players. The VFL showed us the lack of depth we have and the AFL confirmed it. Our bottom 4-5 players are horrible!

2 Likes

He wasn’t Robinson Crusoe there.

No, Tippa and Stringer did Tippa and Stringer things in the first.

Our marking targets were nowhere near it.

(But yes, delivery is also pretty shizen)

1 Like

We will never be any good until our ball use going forward improves - a lot.
There is no point in winning lots of contested possession, clearances etc if all you do when you go forward is pump it in and hope. Especially with inferior forwards.
The recipe for Geelong tonight was to sit back wait for us to kick it in, mop up in their in the defensive half (not hard to do), then pick a couple of short kicks out of defence and sweep into a forward line, vacated by us going forward, where Cameron and Hawkins had acres of space and were too good.
The 3rd quarter and early in the last, it was just so predictable.

6 Likes

Absolutely.

The sooner we go past the likes of Cutler and Ham the better team we will be.
Still heaps of holes to fill and kids to develop.

3 Likes