Essendon Women’s VFL Team launch + first training session - have you Hird about Long?

Games will be shared between Windy Hill and Cragieburn, so hopefully at least 1500-2000 at every match would be a good result.

Hopefully the club makes a deal of it, promote it. They could promote VFL games more as well, I reckon.

2 Likes

If scheduling/injury/selection suits, she could be the first 4th-in-a-row player ever (see article from this week below). She is almost certainly going to be the first to do so at the one club (the family of the other guy drafted last week now spans three clubs).

1 Like

Hey handsome, have you HIRD?

No but I’m all ears

1 Like

I remembered the shimmy right but only could remember fark sos after that.

1 Like

Just a question on the VFLW addon and the gloves, are the games played the same time as the mens VFL season and not the AFLW season?

Excuse my ignorance but it would seem odd to get gloves for summer.

Yes, the VFLW comp is a proper winter sport with lots of rounds. As usual it’s a better deal than the AFL.

3 Likes

Yep - VFLW and VFL run at the same time.

Going to make weekend game clashes REALLY frustrating.

3 Likes

Hopefully the assassination of the VFL reserves comp allows the scheduling of double headers, men and women.

5 Likes

With AFL/VFL/WVFL there is always likely to be some clashes - Though the ingenious DJR will overcome any obstacles.

1 Like

Big write up in the Daily Mail.on the two daughters. . For once in that rag HIrd J not referred to as disgraced former Essendon coach although they forgot to mention his Norm Smith medal.

James Hird’s daughter Stephanie joins Essendon’s VFL Women’s squad

THERE could be another Hird running out for Essendon next year after Stephanie Hird, daughter of club legend James, joined the Bombers’ women’s team.

The 18-year-old hit the track with Essendon’s VFL Women’s squad on Tuesday alongside the daughter of another club legend, Machaela Long.

Stephanie was a promising junior tennis player but has a future in Aussie rules if her bloodlines are anything to go buy.

Her father James is one of Essendon’s most decorated players, winning a Brownlow Medal and two premierships in a 253-game career.

He was welcomed back into the AFL fold following the Bombers’ supplement scandal when he presented the Norm Smith Medal to Dustin Martin after this year’s Grand Final.

“It’s really exciting for the club,” Essendon’s women’s coach Brendan Major told the club’s website.

“The father-son structure in men’s football is really exciting and it’s a way of keeping those kinds of big names who have added a lot to clubs within the club.

“So, to be able to have those two in the women’s program is huge for the Essendon Football Club.”

When James Hird played his final AFL game in 2007, Stephanie — then aged eight — wrote a short article for the Herald Sun.

“I love watching Dad play footy. I feel proud when I watch him get the ball and kick goals,” she wrote.

“I love going to the rooms … I especially like playing on the equipment — the rope, the crash mat and the boxing ring and playing footy with the players.”

Stephanie’s three brothers are all enrolled in Essendon’s James Hird Academy to develop the sons of former players, with 16-year-old Tom the first to become available under the father-son rule.

Essendon will field a team in the expanded VFL Women’s comp next season along with AFL clubs Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and St Kilda.

However, it is unclear when the Bombers will join the AFLW. The AFL announced in September that Geelong and North Melbourne will join the competition in 2019 with Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast and Gold Coast to follow in 2020.

Michaela Long was the face of Essendon’s bid for an AFLW licence after turning down offers from other clubs to play for the club her father Michael represented in 190 games.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/james-hirds-daughter-stephanie-joins-essendons-vfl-womens-squad/news-story/6086ea9b8b4df5c8cf090de9395f3926

4 Likes

*Michaela Long

:+1::crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Hope the EFC can also run profiles of the other girls in the team

1 Like

It’s all about the fixture.

Get a decent fixture that does not overlap with the VFL, or the AFL, and you will have some interest from supporters.

Run the games as double headers with the VFL games, and you will have a lot of interest from supporters.

Like this one?

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

i suspect this will happen more once the list is finalised. Would be a bit embarrassing to profile someone who didn’t make the cut, or who defected last minute to play for the dawks instead…

What is Steph like as a player?

If you could buy them, imagine what the Hird bloodlines would be worth!!!

4 Likes