Essendon Womens team — possibility (2015 thread)

Would really love to see this happen.

Such a competition will bleed money for a fair while. AFL would have to be prepared to absorb losses for some time.

When already time poor people are faced with the choice of allocating time to watching AFL footy on a weekend most people are going to choose the far superior product, including the majority of women I’ve talked with this about. Can’t see attendances and television ratings translating to large sponsorships.

The one competition that exists under the AFL umbrella at the moment is already treading the lines of overexposure and media saturation.

I have close friends who play Women’s footy down at Sunbury and watch them regularly but just trying to consider the economic reality of it all.

Such a competition will bleed money for a fair while. AFL would have to be prepared to absorb losses for some time.

When already time poor people are faced with the choice of allocating time to watching AFL footy on a weekend most people are going to choose the far superior product, including the majority of women I’ve talked with this about. Can’t see attendances and television ratings translating to large sponsorships.

The one competition that exists under the AFL umbrella at the moment is already treading the lines of overexposure and media saturation.

I have close friends who play Women’s footy down at Sunbury and watch them regularly but just trying to consider the economic reality of it all.

What’s wrong with that? In fact, I’d be looking at more ways of encouraging the AFL to bleed some of the undeserved money…

no different from any other sport at elite levels that has both mens and womens teams. sure, its much different standard, but its great that young girls who follow footy can have an opportunity to play the game beyond about 12 years old.

and would it actually cost much more to run on top of current league? most of the infrastructure is already in place, they wouldnt be paid much if anything, and theres a tonne of people that would be willing to help out.

The EFC job is to win AFL premierships. This is crap, noise, rubbish whatever you want to call it.

And enough of the politically correct BS as well. Would any of you pay your hard earned to watch a women’s football match ?

I’m tipping you probably have to pay to get laid.
We all pay to get laid one way or another
I think it is good for the club to be involved with but I personally have no interest in it.

One and done.

So, maybe they are trying to tap into the half of the population that currently have no “on field involvement” in footy. So, lets say they awakened interest in 10,000 more members, just by being “seen to be” more inclusive. Thats 20% of the cap, or 4% of revenue. Match payments would be low unless televised. Question is, what is the marginal cost of fielding the team.

Is the Calendar out yet?

Is the Calendar out yet?

From my experience there’d be more girls buying than guys

It's the next step for the AFL to try and reap in more $$$$$$$. I think we should be there from the start as you don't want to be playing catch up on the early adapters if it does become a success.

Farken hipsters

Really hope we jump on board!

What’s wrong with that? In fact, I’d be looking at more ways of encouraging the AFL to bleed some of the undeserved money…

Haha fair call

Should make the Women's AFL comp a summer competition.

Would be interesting to see how it would rate against A-League, cricket, etc.

Would rather watch a Dons women’s team on a Friday night in summer at a prime time than a soccer game, meaningless T-20 game, etc.

The issue is ground availiability.

Etihad could host 3 games a weekend - Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night. Given it would be summer I wouldn’t expect any day-time games. It would be purely a night-time competition.

I doubt whether there would be more than 10 teams in 2017. That means we need another ground to host 2 games or perhaps use Etihad to host Thursday & Monday night games too…which would be fantastic over the January period.

Should make the Women's AFL comp a summer competition.

Would be interesting to see how it would rate against A-League, cricket, etc.

Would rather watch a Dons women’s team on a Friday night in summer at a prime time than a soccer game, meaningless T-20 game, etc.

The issue is ground availiability.

someone would lose a fair bit of money if the games were played at Etihad.
Not sure if cricket is played at VFL grounds over summer but the costs would be more in line there

The Jetettesettes

Update: the AFL have excluded us from the running after hearing who our first captain will be. Bonus lashings of bile are incoming from Wilson.

1 Like
The EFC job is to win AFL premierships. This is crap, noise, rubbish whatever you want to call it.

And enough of the politically correct BS as well. Would any of you pay your hard earned to watch a women’s football match ?

I’m tipping you probably have to pay to get laid.

David J Richardson will be busy.

I Would never go but I’d watch on TV.