Essendon Womens team — possibility (2015 thread)

Crows are submitting a joint bid with the NT, will share the games between Adelaide and the NT

Typical ■■■■■■ SA. can’t even submit a bid without a joint.

I’m 100% in favour of this, however I’m concerned the AFLs intentions aren’t the promotion of women or women’s sport.

Crows are submitting a joint bid with the NT, will share the games between Adelaide and the NT

Typical ■■■■■■ SA. can’t even submit a bid without a joint.

At least it won’t have tobacco in it…

Looking forward to it. Long as they wear tight red shorts…

I'm 100% in favour of this, however I'm concerned the AFLs intentions aren't the promotion of women or women's sport.
Of course they're not, its all about more money and more power. After all, we are "the Kings of the Castle" when it comes to Sport.
The EFC job is to win AFL premierships. This is crap, noise, rubbish whatever you want to call it.

And enough of the politically correct BS as well. Would any of you pay your hard earned to watch a women’s football match ?

I most certainly would. The women’s game I saw on TV was one of the most entertaining matches I have seen in a long time. Far better that many of the men’s matches that have been on in recent years.
I’d hazard a guess and suggest either the rules were slightly different too, or else the umpiring was far superior.
It was a cracking match. I’ll be looking forward to the lady bombers.

Slower game makes umpiring a lot easier

Again though, if Pazza says the women’s is the same quality as Div 3 men’s; why would you (presumably) pay more to watch the gals over the guys?
Aligning with an AFL side will definitely boost numbers, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking a women’s game is going to even half fill Etithad as a stand alone game
Games need to be played as a curtain raiser, or out in the burbs somewhere

It wouldn’t be, nowhere near it - let’s remember who posted it in the first place. Alex Morgan who we took at #25, started this year playing in EFL D4. I can’t remember when the first VWFL player was taken in the draft this year? I’d be surprised if a women’s side would beat a D4 under 16s side, to be honest.
Which is besides the point, it’s never going to be men v women, and that only plays one smallish part in how watchable the game is.
I can't see it taking off Get more people spectating an under 15s training then at a senior women's match, and that's excluding parents of the kids!

I’m not sure what it is about Aussie Rules in particular, but the skill gap between genders is greater than any other sport I’ve seen

Might have something to do with the fact that females in this country are not bought up being taught the skills of footy and in many cases are not generally encouraged athletically in the same way that boys are. By the time guys reach the AFL they’ve usually been playing footy organised or casually nonstop for 10 to 15 years and if they haven’t they would have athletic experience somewhere else.

At the end of the day though, anyone can learn the technique to kick a footy, regardless of other people’s gendered biases.

Bingo. As a sport, women’s footy is barely a decade old. Whereas women’s cricket has been competitive for at least a generation, and women’s soccer, tennis, netball & basketball forever.

Great to see the sport making progress regardless. Really a club the size of a modern AFL club could give just a little bit of time from a few coaches/administrators which could add a heap in terms of coaching, organisation, & most importantly exposure (for sponsorship) for a fledgling women’s club.

The EFC job is to win AFL premierships. This is crap, noise, rubbish whatever you want to call it.

And enough of the politically correct BS as well. Would any of you pay your hard earned to watch a women’s football match ?

I most certainly would. The women’s game I saw on TV was one of the most entertaining matches I have seen in a long time. Far better that many of the men’s matches that have been on in recent years.
I’d hazard a guess and suggest either the rules were slightly different too, or else the umpiring was far superior.
It was a cracking match. I’ll be looking forward to the lady bombers.

Slower game makes umpiring a lot easier

Again though, if Pazza says the women’s is the same quality as Div 3 men’s; why would you (presumably) pay more to watch the gals over the guys?
Aligning with an AFL side will definitely boost numbers, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking a women’s game is going to even half fill Etithad as a stand alone game
Games need to be played as a curtain raiser, or out in the burbs somewhere

It wouldn’t be, nowhere near it - let’s remember who posted it in the first place. Alex Morgan who we took at #25, started this year playing in EFL D4. I can’t remember when the first VWFL player was taken in the draft this year? I’d be surprised if a women’s side would beat a D4 under 16s side, to be honest.
Which is besides the point, it’s never going to be men v women, and that only plays one smallish part in how watchable the game is.

I know this, but I was replying to Pazza
Beat you at their level with experience and all that

Does this mean the AFL will introduce the Father / Son and Daughter rule as well as the Mother / Son and Daughter rule? Could be just another very good reason for getting involved in the women’s league.

I don't understand this thread
I did until about a page ago

16 posts were split to a new topic: Essendon Women’s VFL Team launch + first training session - have you Hird about Long?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Essendon Women’s VFL Team launch + first training session - have you Hird about Long?