Essendon Womens team — possibility (2015 thread)

I’m a huge UFC follower and was a critic when the women were introduced…boy was I wrong!

Scorpio said:
Yes, for brevity I deleted this sentence: Sports in which women excel over men, such as gymnastics, ice skating etc ARE watched (when they are shown in Olympics or Commonwealth games).

So the answer may be not to try to make women try to do sports that have evolved as men’s games but to do sports which they (for the most part) can do better than males (for the most part) can do.

I hope this is not PI because it is very easy to put a foot wrong in these matters. And again, this is not anything against WEFC.

I think you are missing my point AT. I think women's and men's sports are different. They can have the same rules and play on the same courts but they are played in a different way.
I much prefer watching women's basketball to men's because I like the fact that it is played in the half court rather than just in the key. I like there is more strategy involved in terms of creating the opening to score.  Men's basketball is played almost solely  in the air with a pass to the person over seven foot closest to the ring. 
I used to much prefer women's tennis as they had long rallies, the men used to serve and play one ot two more strokes and it was all over. Men's tennis now, is a completely different sport and I now prefer men's tennis as it is more tactical and strategic.
The sports you mention Ice Skating and Gymnasitcs are different for men and women anyway, they have different components in gymnastics, and different requirements in ice skating.
I see women's football developing like women's basketball and it will be a different game.
In the women's match I saw, I thought the tackling was fantastic, maybe because it is harder to shrug out of it due to a) no one has learnt the bend knees drop a la Selwood, or more likely b) women have a different body shape.
Problem is men often look at women's sport as an inferior version of the men's product, instead of looking at it as a different game with different skills and therefore different tactics and strategies.
Once that happens we really will have equality. 
Here here. So much more SKILL in womens basketball.
jodo27 said:
pazza said:
I think the situation we face is that the AFL Women's National League is a foregone conclusion.

You only need to hear from the likes of the Daisy Pearce's currently involved at the elite level of it to see the benefits from it - she is every bit a champion footballer as anyone else playing it.

There is talk of the AFL having both this and the national reserves competition. Instead of saying stuff like we have no business being involved and so on, let's embrace the concept. Let's expand the club and it's potential supporter base, sponsorship dollars. Let's get an elite team of women footballers, utilising our facilities, training with the boys (which would only help their development in any case) and win as many premierships as we can.

How would it be if we won the:

AFL
AFL Women's
National Reserves and/or VFL

In the same season?

It would be epic.

There is only one worth winning ! The rest is a waste of space.  The VFL/Reserves is a development league for us and costs us plenty to compete.  Women's league would also cost plenty and the so called extra supporters and sponsorship dollars would not cover the cost. Most clubs are already running at a loss.
Did anyone say that in 1950 when we won  the Under 19's, Reserves and Seniors on the same day? Or said the same to Richmond in 1973 when they did the same?

I doubt I’d watch a lot of women’s football personally, but having said that I do think it is exactly the sort of thing our club should be involved in. It’s all well and good to have the EWN or whatever, but this is where we put our money where our mouth is. As another poster pointed out, given the vision of  “… becoming the most successful, inclusive and respected club in australian sport” I don’t see how this is something the club could skip on and live up to that stated vision.

Scorpio said:
Yes, for brevity I deleted this sentence: Sports in which women excel over men, such as gymnastics, ice skating etc ARE watched (when they are shown in Olympics or Commonwealth games).

So the answer may be not to try to make women try to do sports that have evolved as men’s games but to do sports which they (for the most part) can do better than males (for the most part) can do.

I hope this is not PI because it is very easy to put a foot wrong in these matters. And again, this is not anything against WEFC.

In the women's match I saw, I thought the tackling was fantastic, maybe because it is harder to shrug out of it due to a) no one has learnt the bend knees drop a la Selwood, or more likely b) women have a different body shape.

Maybe the women just aren’t weak as ■■■■ and fold easily like a Selwood, Poopolo, etc. I am surprised we don’t see these guys rolling around on the ground like the big tough soccer players out there.

Scorpio said:

Maybe the women just aren’t weak as ■■■■ and fold easily like a Selwood, Poopolo, etc. I am surprised we don’t see these guys rolling around on the ground like the big tough soccer players out there.

here we go.

Do father-mother/son-daughter rules crossover between comps?

Do you get the youngster completely free if both mother and father played 100 games for the same club?

Do father-mother/son-daughter rules crossover between comps?

Do you get the youngster completely free if both mother and father played 100 games for the same team?
Only one way to find out.

we must breed a supreme race team of footballers.

I wonder if any of the silly old coots in hear saying that it’s a stupid idea would feel even the slightest bit of excitement seeing their daughter/grand daughter kick a goal after the siren to beat fark Carlton women’s team after the siren in a GF.

and for what it’s worth, plenty of the girls that have been playing in theses games the past 3 years have achieved much more in their sporting careers than many of the flogs in here. There’s some bona fide champs that have represented their state and country in athletics, basketball and hockey to name a few.

Barnz said:
Scorpio said:

here we go.
Here we go, here we go...

Come at me soccer apologists. :D

goodesy slide tackles someone and you all had a fit.

Scorpio said:

I think you are missing my point AT. I think women's and men's sports are different. They can have the same rules and play on the same courts but they are played in a different way.
I much prefer watching women's basketball to men's because I like the fact that it is played in the half court rather than just in the key. I like there is more strategy involved in terms of creating the opening to score.  Men's basketball is played almost solely  in the air with a pass to the person over seven foot closest to the ring. 
I used to much prefer women's tennis as they had long rallies, the men used to serve and play one ot two more strokes and it was all over. Men's tennis now, is a completely different sport and I now prefer men's tennis as it is more tactical and strategic.
The sports you mention Ice Skating and Gymnasitcs are different for men and women anyway, they have different components in gymnastics, and different requirements in ice skating.
I see women's football developing like women's basketball and it will be a different game.
Problem is men often look at women's sport as an inferior version of the men's product, instead of looking at it as a different game with different skills and therefore different tactics and strategies.
Once that happens we really will have equality. 
Here here. So much more SKILL in womens basketball.

Their good fundamentals make up for their inability to dunk

Women’s footy is a great idea. Follow the AFL fixture, make it a curtain raiser, enforce some zero tolerance dry areas and it should become very successful

Women's footy is a great idea. Follow the AFL fixture, make it a curtain raiser, enforce some zero tolerance dry areas and it should become very successful

…what?

Imagine the reaction if the men in the crowd started whistling the female players. Ooh.

Or if a female player kicked a goal, and did a bit of a “dance”

Then the fuddy duddies like Patrick Smith, Gerard Whateley and Tim Lane started writing and spruiking the preachy moralising stuff they love to churn out.

Spare me.

I don’t understand this thread

I don't understand this thread

That’s cause you can’t read!

Crows are submitting a joint bid with the NT, will share the games between Adelaide and the NT

I don't understand this thread

That’s cause you can’t read!

Did you just call me a peachy caterpillar???