Etihad Roof - open or shut?

Should be shut. Always.

Should be shut. Always.

The stadium was built in the wrong place.

Apparently it had to runs north south due to building restrictions in it's positioning.

What a joke.

Shut the frigging roof, it's impossible to see the game properly due to the sun glare. 

IIRC, J Hird was a consultant...

...Take it easy, I can leave without assistance.

*politely opens the door for you*

Suns play far better in the wet. Keep the friggin roof closed just in case

Apparently it had to runs north south due to building restrictions in it's positioning.

What a joke.

Shut the frigging roof, it's impossible to see the game properly due to the sun glare. 

I also thought the stadium design was signed off before the AFL got involved. Hence the dictators didn't get a say until it was too late.  

Would you like perfect conditions and light at all times?

What a joke.

I also thought the stadium design was signed off before the AFL got involved. Hence the dictators didn't get a say until it was too late.
A good architect would take into account the orientation of the oval & sun. It's pretty stock standard. The glare into the coaches boxes at Geelong was a big embarrassment.
To me, it seems like Etihad was cramped by the surrounding development and the only way to fit it in was to spin it.

Tricky watching the first half ( on TV ) with the shade affecting the picture. I imagine that the broadcasters prefer the roof closed. 

There is something very wrong with sitting in the sunshine at the footy.

The roof should always be closed and for some games there should be water sprayed down from the roof to emulate rain onto players and crowd.

At these games no supporters will be able to sit, we can take in Eskies of beer, and mandatory to smoke at least half a pack of Marlborough.

This could be the new Heritage round, and players are also allowed to hit each other behind play without penalty.

There is something very wrong with sitting in the sunshine at the footy.
The roof should always be closed and for some games there should be water sprayed down from the roof to emulate rain onto players and crowd.
At these games no supporters will be able to sit, we can take in Eskies of beer, and mandatory to smoke at least half a pack of Marlborough.
This could be the new Heritage round, and players are also allowed to hit each other behind play without penalty.

This part is already taken care of when the roof is closed due to the hoards of health freaks congregating on the concourse for a quick one during breaks.

If you were sitting in the south and south ease parts of the ground, you would have sun directly in your eyes all day. you can't see the video screens as they are also drenched in sunshine and in any case the TV coverage was not quick enough to adjust its lighting so at times you had no vision of the game.

Players leading from the LLoyd end were losing the ball in flight due to the sun.

Everybody is right about the orientation of the ground. It lies north south and the sun is in the northern sky and low in the sky in the winter months exacerbating the problem.

It should be closed for all football matches for the benefit of the players, spectators and TV viewers. This is only common sense so it's bound not to happen.

Roof open unless raining for me. It was a very enjoyable day watching in sunshine.

I noticed the sun  affecting Carlisle in one foray forward but that was it (although there may have been more, but a lot of contests were not affected).

I don't care about the commentators, they have nothing to contribute anyway. And if the players are not happy, there is an indoor comp down at the local leisure city they can sign up for.

Lets ask Brad Scott

It was terrific.

Clams should be shut. Always.

Why do they have it closed at night even if it is not raining?

Residents complained about noise.

Don't buy a house next to ■■■■■■■ stadium then!

The roof should be shut.

The sun is bad at the northern and southern ends of the ground.  At the northern end (not as bad as the southern mind you) it reflects off the glass buildings at the southern end of the ground.

Is that legit?