Expectations Grand Final or Bust 2019?

I can see it now, Top 4 and out in straight sets.

There will be enough material to make both the pessimists and optimists both happy and angry. Yes we are going to hear all about it…endlessly.

The perfect storm.

decimation even?

Gosh, that shouldn’t happen.
Not with the depth we have, unless we have a serious injury list.
We should go into finals in far better shape than a lot of other teams.

Top 4 for mine, or I’ll get on the caracella hype train.

Flags are ■■■■■■ hard to win, it all needs to fall into place, but good coaches get their teams in position to have a crack. It’s time.

1 Like

works on many levels

1 Like

Top 6, definitely.
Top 4 probably.
Win more than 1 final as a minimum.

1 Like

I don’t think top 4 is a given.

Melbourne, Richmond, Collingwood and West Coast are good sides. The Victorian sides will all be banking on improvement form this year and West Coast has home advantage. We will need to improve significantly to give top 4 a shake.

I don’t know why top whatever is a benchmark.
You can’t control how well other teams do, or how…my maths terms have deserted me, but…I’ll go with lopsided the ladder ends up being.
14 wins for me.
Pretty sure the same as I expected last season.

I expect nothing less than an improvement on season 2000

13 Likes

You just know our season will be over when we lose to some pelican team like St Kilda on a sunday twilight fixture at IronMan stadium in round 6

3 Likes

The Dogs and Tigers are an interesting case study in that both teams played a final/s in the year/s prior to winning the flag, tasting disappointment before doing the job.

Essendon made finals in 2017. They’ve ticked off that “ criteria” so there’s absolutely no reason why they can’t go all the way in 2019. Stuff the conservative approach. Essendon’s time is now!

That being said Essendon will have a few challengers … Eagles (back to back?), Pies (were they 1 year wonders or are they building something sustainable?), rebounding Crows (?), Tigers?

Top 6 and a finals win for me.
Like this year I think 3-9 will be a log jam so to finish in the upper part of that would be good.
Last couple of years has shown that if you win your first final and get on a roll anything is possible.

Top 4 then anything is possible.

This is realistic. However I do think if we play well enough to achieve a home final and win it, we’re a great chance to win at least a couple. There’s still things in the way we play that need to be rectified before I’ll believe we’re a finals winning side though. I’m not sure the footy we played for the last 3mths this year would win us a final, we still need to improve. The players talk about playing a style of footy that stands up in big games, except that didn’t happen in reality. We lost the 3 big games we had in our run home this year (Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood) and all of them were from winnable positions, so clearly there was something in our game that wasn’t standing up in big moments.

1 Like

Round 6 will either be Anzac Day or the obligatory follow up against the Dees. So it may be you that is the pelican in this instance.

1 Like

Well played PP, well played

1 Like

Sorry for going over the top like that, I’ll try to rein it in.

As a pass mark id say 2 finals wins.

I probably need a third category.

Pessimists, Optimists and those who enjoy schadenfreude.

2 Likes

My expectation is to make finals for the next 5 years.

In this league if you’ve got an oppurtunity to win the flag you just take it.

Only the most craziest supporters would have realistically thought West Coast would win the flag this year. Especially after NicNat going down.

Who would have thought Richmond would win the flag after all their narrow losses that season?

Bulldogs?

You make finals and you have an opportunity.

3 Likes