Expectations Grand Final or Bust 2019?

I’ll bring the marshmallows. I’ve still got them from 1998.

2 Likes

Good to read some sense
There’s some jerk in another thread complaining about how we went backwards by winning 12 games, after winning 12 last year.
Draw can play such a huge part, get Brisbane/GC once each and Rich/Coll twice and it can make all the difference.

1 Like

LOL

Which jerk was that?
I recall a jerk saying we hadn’t progressed, which you seem to be backing up with facts.

Joey to be league leader in behinds kicked.

Perfect the fourth quarter fadeout.
Lose to Stkilda, Carlton, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Get smashed on Anzac and Dreamtime. Embarrassed by North in a marvel stadium Sunday twilight.

But then beat West Coast in perth. Sydney and GWS away, Adelaide in Adelaide at full strength.

Finish the year by missing out on finals by percentage.

Expect usual rants by usual bomber blitz suspects, threatening to be done and never support the team again. Only to see them resurface in the off season posting on blitz full of optimism when they realise cricket, soccer and American sports are ■■■■.

Yeah that’s my expectation for 2019.

3 Likes

Draw - will probably end up playing Pies, Cats, North, Blues and one of Power or Crows twice.

Solid Wins - Blues x 2, North x 2, Saints, Dogs, Suns, Lions - there is no excuse for losing these home or away and they are 8/8 bankable wins.

Should Wins - Freo (home 100% away 66%), Swans (barring Buddy show), Power/Crows/Eagles/Giants (at home), Cats (I think we have them covered) - depending on how the draw comes out but we should get 5/7 out of this games.

Tough Wins - Tigers, Pies, Demons, Hawks and Power/Crows/Eagles/Giants (away) - play at our best we are a chance in any game but a bit off and we lose again depending on how the draw comes out we should be aiming for a minimum of 3/7 from these games.

The bar should be set at 16 wins from Home & Away. Second season starts then.

1 Like

Oh you’re new to supporting us. Welcome. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah I did say this is where the bar should be set - I am sure we will lose to Lions in a heartbreaker but we will also probably beat Tigers in a win for the ages.

1 Like

Finish 4-6
Prelim at least

Any less and it’s a bust

Baby Bombers Mark II.

It’s not just Essendon fans who are enthusiastic about the Dons in 2019. Footy came up in conversation last night with a couple of Fark Carlton supporters and they both were very enthused about Essendon doing well next year. They had a clear note of admiration in their voice. Main point one of them made was that the team had gelled in the second half of the year. Bad start to the season but they really came together and were playing for each other.

Our second half to the season really marked us as a dangerous team. Probably better than some people had imagined. And the Shiel trade has just increased that excitement about us.

There will be very high expectations on us, especially if we are playing close to our best 22 week in week out.

5 Likes

As a result of the expectations we will probably get a lot of prime time football this year also, which will only increase the focus on the side.

Expectations are lose to a lot of crap teams, have some exciting wins at Marvel, squeak into finals and get done by 8 goals, but have a lot of us excited for the next year…

A lot depends on Big Joey being fit. He’s our best player if he’s 100%… and that’s saying something. Single handedly won us games in 2017 and dragged us into finals. He was the difference this year too!

The above comment was from prior to the trade period.

We are now 5th favourite for the premiership, paying $11.

That still makes us…umm…an 8% probability of winning the premiership?

1 Like

Good odds! What were win to win the premiership for the season? After the Triple S recruitment?

I’ve been looking online to rewatch some of our second half games this year but can’t find anything apart from some YouTube clips.

Are there any Essendon websites that you can watch old games on?

Before the 2018 season began (but AFTER recruiting SSS), we were 8th favourite to win the premiership at the bookies.

PS. In my past experience, this website has the replays: http://efc.16mb.com

1 Like

This so muuuch

Legend, thank you! May give the Essendon vs North game a replay - obviously there was fixture requirements with the Anzac Day game. But I think this game had a bit to do with the Good Friday call as well.

We are close…Some gaps still though.

Still think we’re one gun midfielder short. Coniglio 2019? Or do Parish and Langford become elite? Still short on a bit of grunt I think.

We also don’t have enough overhead ability and X factor in the midfield and across half forward but think this can be addressed. Jack Martin? Would’ve been perfect. Ridley, Redman and Laverde have to fill the void.

I’m worried about Hurley down back. He’s a man in decline with those dodgy wrists.

The keys areas of improvement for mine…

Francis has to continue his upward trajectory and become the best intercept player in the game…

McGrath needs to lift and become a consistent game breaker in the middle

Redman and Ridley need to become stronger and push their cases for best 22 inclusion from round 1. They need to be running through our midfield to provide that height and flexibility. Think both could become gun wingers.

Parish needs to become a gun. Seen flashes, but we need to see more of it week in week out. Needs to come back looking like Cousins at his best following pre season.

Langford needs to keep Myers out…Whilst becoming a consistent ball getter… over 20 possession average is key.

Laverde needs to watch Hoskin Elliot to understand how he needs to play his role and De Goey for that matter… athleticism he has, but does he have the running power to lead up comsistently at the contest? And can he translate his VFL dominance to the next level?

Stringer needs to get shredded to become that Dusty Martin mid-forward. 40 goals thanks Jake…

Fantasia needs to stay on the park…

JD needs to play… And kick straight… 60 goals no less…

We need to find another small forward to complement Tippa and Fantasia. Step down Tippa’s cuz!

Bellcho needs to do what he did this year.

Otherwise pretty easy…

5 Likes