Facebook

I very rarely use FB and would post an update maybe once a month.

Am hoping somebody can answer me this.

The other day I got a 'friend recommendation' for a person even though we have no mutual friends in common. However she is a person I 'know' in RL via my wife.

How does that happen. Does FB pick up who stalks you and then provides a recommendation?

Yes. She wants you.

You ever emailed her?

Never emailed her - I would have said hello to her twice in my life.

Is she a friend of your wife on facebook. If yes then that's where the recommendation comes from. 

Is she a friend of your wife on facebook. If yes then that's where the recommendation comes from. 

Wife isn't on FB.

Hmm, that’s creepy.

Would you be tagged in any photos together, or tagged at an event etc?

Hmm, that's creepy.
Would you be tagged in any photos together, or tagged at an event etc?

Have never been to an event with her.

This isn't at all creepy.

Facebook would have enough data to know you've got enough similar connections online, even if it wasn't on Facebook.

Facebook would have enough data to know you've got enough similar connections online, even if it wasn't on Facebook.

Hmmm - not sure whether to be amazed or concerned.

So facebook actually tells you "No mutual friends"? Otherwise how can you be sure?

So facebook actually tells you "No mutual friends"? Otherwise how can you be sure?

All the other 'recommended friends' state your mutual friends underneath.

This person does not have any names listed underneath besides which I checked myself......

yeah i get these all the time for people I know professionally outside of Facebook, more likely friends on Linked in or Google.

Def data sharing going around.

Everything about Facebook is creepy.

Wastebook

Oh wait, I forgot to mention that I don't have a Facebook account

I've read all the Game of Thrones Books...

AND IM GLUTEN FREE...

I've read all the Game of Thrones Books...

AND IM GLUTEN FREE...

AND I DON'T VACCINATE MY CHILDREN

Did anyone see the article recently where Facebook openly admits it changed it's news feed algorithm slightly for 600,000 people to see if they could make users post angrier/happier content in the following 7 days?

I don't know why anyone would think Facebook is creepy.

Happens all the time. I look at bike stuff on Wiggle then every ad anywhere on the internet is not just for wiggle, but for those exact items I was looking at.