Favourite commentary for an essendon goal?

From 8:22 onwards in this clip. The point where Mercs is running into goal, takes the shot, SOS marks it on the line, then proceeds to turn it over and Scotty Lucas slots it to give us the lead. Sandy Roberts was a great caller. Still is!

4 Likes

McKernan in long, Brown off hands OrAAAAAAZIOOOOFAN-TASIA!

Delivers!

1 Like

Also…

A Driving ball.

Hooker

HOOKER

HOOOOKKKKERRRRRR!!!

2 Likes

Spike with the Golden goal

1 Like

There are a lot of old classics that I love, but I reckon the commentary for Tippa’s goal against North last year would be right up there. Masterclass by Anthony Hudson the way he predicted what was going to happen before it happened.

“Pulses racing everywhere, oh who else? McDonald-Tipungwuti! McDonald-Tipungwuti! Always cunning, always class. The moment is his, the game is his!”

2 Likes

Was at that game and gee the swans fans were ■■■■■■. Was only me, dad and two lonely bomber fans in the entire swans members stand.

2 Likes

Language warning

4 Likes

Out of the air! Matthew Lloyd

1 Like

Was a crapload of Bombers on the opposite flank.

I sat in the Sydney members stand once. It was in 1999 when Bewick kicked four goals to give us the win. They were really confused by having someone who made noise amongst them.

1 Like

Rd 2 2014 Ess vs Haw, Last Q, Bruce “Stanton off a step, where’s Chapman, almost there, Zaharakis at the back, Cheney, Chappy, well he’s a really good man to have it, HE’S A REALLY GOOD MAN TO HAVE IT” - sails through for a goal, then "AAWWWWWWEe.

Then Leigh Matthews chips in “Awe, fantastic…god, isn’t this crowd alive”

One about few moments in all the games that I have attended where I actually thought the stand would fall down.

Tim Lane, Ess vs Carlton (2008?), MCG “Lovett, splitting the centre of the MCG with a scintillating run, a long kick and a brilliant goal”

1 Like

I’m not happy about the abuse of Lumberjack Guy.

3 Likes

Bring back sandy. Also ian Robertson was a quality commentator too but he hated essendon if you watch any of the old replays.

I think I heard that one on the radio too: “Silvagni kicks it out… but straight to …ohh guess who?.. GUESS WHO…SCOTT LUCAS slams it home!”

2 Likes

No doubt when Lucas is kicking for goal either. Boots it the same from 25 out as 55 out.

BT’s Joey’s goal Anzac day 2017 is great after his fend off on Treloar

Is this the goal when Bruce says " this is a good as it gets"

3 Likes

No. That’s another passage of play.

“Barnard’s gotta keep his nut down and he does, finds Barnes, he’s clever Barnes, Smokin’ Joe… he’ll kick another one… AND HE DOES! crowd roar THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS!!! THIS IS CHAMPAGNE FOOTY!!!”

1 Like

“… Watson important, O’Donnell should goal, goes… and puts it through!!! The Bombers are in front!! The Bombers are in front, for the first time, since the 12-minute mark of the first quarter.”

Bruce McAvaney, 1993 Preliminary Final.

2 Likes

Couple of my favs…

Rex Hunt in about 1994 - “Cocky wants a cracker, COCKY WANTS A GOALLLL!!!”

Bruce Macca 1995? V Richmond :
“Misiti to Hird- this is danger!..He’s just to good Hird! He plays on!- allowed to!..a bounce…what a player he is!”