Favourite commentary for an essendon goal?

that is hands down my favourite Essendon goal

1 Like

So many good ones in 1993. As well as Long’s goal, these are also great.

“Ho ho, the Bombers are hot!”

“Take me on, take me on, take me on he says … brilliant football Daniher”

“Is this man the best man on the ground, I ask you?”

“And now he wants to cap it off with a goal?!”

2 Likes

The best bit of anti-Essendon commentary was by Walls on 2009 Anzac Day.

Jetta kicks a goal, Quartermaine realises it’s game on and says “hello”, and Walls scoffs, laughs it off. Hope he enjoyed the rest of the game.

But, credit to Walls where it’s due, I do like “James Hird won that ball out the centre and he’s making his way down to the stoppage. If anyone’s going to get it, it’ll be James.”

7 Likes

Always worth watching. Cued up.

6 Likes

Gee that vhs used to get a fair run back in the day. What an amazing year

2 Likes

BIGGEST BENDER IVE EVER SEEN!!!

That and Salmon in the 93 Prelim “kick the goal Salmon!”

I think Ian Roberts had had a gutful at the time.

1 Like

Anyone who doesn’t have Sandy Roberts as their favourite commentator is a bum

7 Likes

ABC in 1984 GF.
Tim Lane:
“The dons, without a flag since 1965, clawing their way to within 5 points at the 8 minute mark. Burns beats Madden, but the Dons hussle it away through Williams. Too far for Baker, now he’s onto, Now he’s got it. OPEN GOAL!!!”
THE DONS ARE IN FRONT BY 1 POINT, AT THE 8 MINUTR MARK, 4 GOALS TO LEON BAKER.

1 Like

Ian Robertson.

2 Likes

Oh and as much as he’s a fkn clown the Dwayne commentary when Reimers went nuts in the first quarter v GC 2011 had some memorable calls.

Watson’s goal in that game.
“The kick skews of the side of his boot. Centre half back for Adelaide, very important possession, WATSON’S GOT IT, WATSON GOES FOR GOAL, LOOK AT THIS, THAT’LL BRING THE HOUSE DOWN”
ESSENDON ARE HOME IN THE PRELIMINARY FINAL, THANKS TO A GOAL KICKED BY TIMMY WATSON. GRAEME CORNES SHAKES HIS HEAD IN DISBELIEF, AFTER BEING 7 GOALS IN FRONT AT HALF TIME

4 Likes

He goes for home, he goes for home, and what a way to go!!!

Loudest roar I’ve heard at a game. All the players in that play were the baby bombers too.

2 Likes

Ian Robertson…
" but the recovery was enormous, Fletcher and Wanganeen combine, Olarenshaw’s got the footy running through the centre of the ground "

Bruce takes over the commentary…
" streaming away with a 4th bounce, Wanganeen’s turning Liptak inside out in this term, taken by Calthorpe, Mercuri a goal, goes for it, sits back, and
PUTS . IT . THROUGH "

{crowd going delirious}

6 Likes

Another favourite thing some essendon boys singing after the grand final win in 1984 “KEVIN SHEEDY WALKS ON WATER TRALALALA LA LA LA LA!” Thought that was gold hahah

Saw that in the 1984 the final story documentry

1 Like

Massive event

Ian Robertson - seemingly underrated commentator. Another favourite moment is when he went nuts over Rama in the 2000 QF.

And Bruce’s call of Mark Mercuri kicking one of the goals of the year in 1999 R1. Just perfect commentary.

1 Like

Smokin Joe a knockout!
So good, especially against the Hawk scum.

4 Likes

I’m really disappointed Bruce didn’t actually say that second paragraph.

4 Likes