Favourite Movie From Each Year Of The 1960s

So with the footy season and all it’s add ons over for another year, I thought I’d start another series with the theme being favourite Movie per year of various decades. (an obvious spin off from last off seasons favourite albums series)

First one is the 1960s. I’m starting there because that’s the first decade where I can lay claim to watching at least one movie per year.

The rules are simple…if you’re not sure or don’t have one for a particular year, just leave it blank.

And no fence sitting allowed…no double/triple entries…make a decision!!! :wink:

So here’s my effort:

3 Likes

So here’s my list:

1960 The Magnificent Seven

1961 Breakfast At Tiffany’s

1962 Lawrence Of Arabia

1963 The Great Escape

1964 A Fistful Of Dollars

1965 For A Few Dollars More

1966 The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

1967 The Graduate

1968 Where Eagles Dare

1969 Battle Of Britain

Well um,

60- Spartacus
61-
62-
63-the great escape
64- Dr Strangelove
65-
66- the good the bad and the ugly
67-
68-2001
69-

Love lists. Top work, Swoods.

I’ll have a crack.

As a kid (& still now), I was a massive 007 fan. In fact, one of my NY resolutions as a kid was “Be Bond”. I even attended a relative’s wedding ceremony as a kid & signed 007 in the guestbook. On another occasion, I carried a plastic 007 gun in my suit as a page boy. Too impressionable. Ha.

Psycho (1960)

Youjinbou (1961)

Dr. No (1962)

From Russia with Love (1963)

Goldfinger (1964)

Thunderball (1965)

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (1966)

The Graduate (1967)

Where Eagles Dare (1968)

Easy Rider (1969)

In addition to the above, I also went through a Ken Takakura ninkyo series (chivalry films) stage. Basically, a number of old school Yakuza flicks. There were a sheetload of them in the 60s. Too many & outside the scope of this post to list.

1 Like

I note we have 66-68 in common, Swoods. 66 is a no-brainer & I love ‘The Graduate’. So fckn funny. Hoffman was brilliant in that film. ‘Where Eagles Dare’ was my Grandpa’s fav film. Reckon I watched it a dozen times with him back in the day. Great film.

1 Like

Nosferato

Dirty dozen is on TV, will watch to see if it goes on my list. Shouldn’t be too hard to displace my current empty slot.

1 Like

60 - Spartacus
61 - Guns of Navarone
62 - Lawrence of Arabia
63 - The Great Escape
64 - 7 faces of Dr Lao
65 - Battle of the Bulge
66 - The Wrong Box
67 - Cool Hand Luke
68 - Planet of the Apes
69 - Battle of Britain

1960, ‘66, and ‘67 were tough years to choose from, plenty of good ones.

1960 - The Apartment
1961 - The Hustler
1962 - Lolita
1963 - 8 1/2
1964 - Dr Strangelove
1965 - The Sound Of Music
1966 - Blow-Up
1967 - In The Heat Of The Night
1968 - Once Upon A Time In The West
1969 - Easy Rider

1 Like

The Apatment is a great get. The Graduate of course and for me, Midnight Cowboy takes the honours for '69.

1960’s Films

A note.

Most of these titles l have on DVD. To supply the dates, l have relied on the details printed on the back of the covers, for some entries. I have noticed that they don’t always match with details supplied by IMDB. I put the different dates down to when individual movies were released in America as compared to other countries. I have not followed any one system, so the dates given here might not be consistent, but l can’t be bothered checking on them.

My selection for each year l have rated as 1. As the years went by, the selections became more difficult. From 1966 onwards l could easily have shuffled 4 titles around to come up with #1. Other worthy movies mentioned without a number rating are included for other Blitzers consideration. Cheers movie lovers.

1. Spartacus. Directed by Stanley Kubrick with Kirk Douglas, Lawrence Olivier, Jean Simmons, Peter Ustinov, John Gavin & Tony Curtis.

2. The Virgin Spring. Directed by Ingmar Bergman with Max Von Sydow.

3. Psycho. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock with Anthony Perkins & Janet Leigh.

4. The Apartment. Directed by Billy Wilder with Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine & Fred MacMurray.

The Bad Sleep Well. Directed by Akira Kurosawa with Toshiro Mifune.

La Dolce Vita. Directed by Carlo Berlosconi with Marcello Mastriani & Anita Ekberg.

Innocent Sorcerers. Directed and co – written by Andrzej Wajda with Tadeusz Lomnicki & Roman Polanski.

Take Aim At The Police Van. Directed by Seijin Suzuki with Michitaro Mizumisha.

Sleeping Beauty. Disney animation of a fairy tale.

Exodus. Directed by Otto Preminger with Paul Newman & Eva Marie Saint.

1. West Side Story. Based on Romeo & Juliet. Directed by Jerome Robbins & Robert Wise with Natalie Wood & George Chakiris.

2. Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Based on the novel by Truman Capote. Directed by Blake Edwards with Audrey Hepburn & George Peppard.

3. El Cid. Directed by Anthony Mann with Charlton Heston & Sophia Loren.

4. The Guns of Navarone. Based on the novel by Alistair McLean. Directed by J. Lee Thompson with Gregory Peck , David Niven & Anthony Quinn.

Yojimbo. Directed by Akira Kurosawa with Toshiro Mifune, Tatsuya Nakadai & Takashi Shimura.

King Of Kings. Directed by Nicholas Ray with Jeffrey Hunter.

1. Lawrence of Arabia. Directed by David Lean with Peter O”Toole, Omar Sharif & Anthony Quinn.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird. Written by Harper Lee (based on her novel), Horton Foote (screenplay). Directed by Robert Mulligan with Gregory Peck, John Megna, Frank Overton, Paul Fix & Robert Duvall.

3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Directed by John Ford with John Wayne, James Stewart, Lee Marvin, Vera Miles, Edmund O’Brien, Andy Devine & Woody Strode.

4. Sanjuro. Directed by Akira Kurosawa with Toshirô Mifune & Tatsuya Nakadai.

The Inheritance. Directed by Masaki Kobyashi with Keiko Kishi & Tatsuya Nakadai.

Knife In The Water. Debut feature directed by Roman Polanski.

Winter Light. Directed by Ingmar Bergman with Gunnar Bjonstrand & Ingrid Thulin.

1. Billy Liar. Written by Keith Waterhouse (screenplay), Willis Hall (screenplay). Directed by John Schlesinger with Tom Courtney, Julie Christie & Wilfred Pickle.

2. Charade. Directed by Stanley Donen with Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, James Coburn & Walter Mathau.

3. Jason and the Argonauts. Directed by Don Chaffey with special effects by Ray Harryhausen.

4. Cleopatra Directed Joseph L. Mankiewicz by with Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Rex Harrison & Roddy MacDowell.

The Pink Panther. Directed by Blake Edwards with David Niven, Peter Sellers & Robert Wagner.

Naked Among Wolves. Directed by Frank Beyer with Armin Mueller – Stahl.

1. Dr. Strangelove. Directed by Stanley Kubrick with Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden & Slim Pickens.

2. My Fair Lady. From the play by George Bernard Shaw. Directed by George Cukor with Audrey Hepburn, Rex Harrison & Stanley Holloway.

3. Marnie. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock with Tippi Hedren & Sean Connery.

Pale Flower. Directed by Masahiro Shinoda with Ryo Ikebe & Mariko Kaga.

The Train. Directed by John Frankenheimer with Burt Lancaster, Paul Scofield & Jeanne Moreau.

Assassination. Directed by Masahiro Shinoda with Tetsuro Tanba.

The Outrage. Directed by Martin Ritt with Paul Newman, Lawrence Harvey, Claire Bloom, Edward G. Robinson & William Shatner.

Red Desert. Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni with Monica Vitti & Richard Harris.

1. Lord Jim. Based on the novel by Joseph Conrad. Directed by Richard Brooks with Peter O’Toole, James Mason & Curd Jürgens. |

2. Von Ryan’s Express. Directed by Mark Robson with Frank Sinatra & Trevor Howard.

3. The Silence. Directed by Ingmar Bergman.

4. Samurai Spy. Directed by Masahiro Shinoda.

1. Andrei Rublev. Written by Andrei Konchalovski (Runaway Train). Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky with Anatoli Solonitsyn & Ivan Lapikov.

2. Doctor Zhivago. Directed by David Lean with Omar Sharif, Julie Christie, Tom Courtney, Rod Stieger, Alec Guiness & Rita Tushingham.

3. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Directed by Sergio Leone with Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach & Lee Van Cleef.

4. A Man For All Seasons. Directed by Fred Zinneman, screenplay by Robert Bolt with Paul Scofield, Robert Shaw, Orson Welles & Leo McKern.

Daisies. Direction, story & screenplay by Vera Chytilová with Ivana Karbanová & Jitka Cerhová.

The Professionals. With Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, Jack Palance, Ralph Bellamy & Woody Strode.

1. Cool Hand Luke. Directed by Stuart Rosenberg with Paul Newman, George Kennedy & Strother Martin.

2. Wait Until Dark. Directed by Terence Young with Audrey Hepburn, Alan Arkin & Richard Crenna.

3. The Graduate. Directed by Mike Nichols with Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft & Katherine Ross.

4. Belle De Jour. Directed by Luis Bunel with Catherine Deneuve (Serizy), Jean Sorel & Michel Piccoli.

Samurai Rebellion. Directed by Masaki Kobayshi with Toshiro Mifune (Isaburo).

The Dirty Dozen. Directed by Robert Aldrich with Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine & Charles Bronson.

Double Suicide. Directed by Nagisa Oshima with Keiko Sakuarai, Kei Sato & Tetsuo Ashida.

A Colt Is My Passport. Directed by Takashi Nomura, with Joe Shishido, Chitose Kobayashi & Jerry Fujio.

1. Blow Up. Directed by Michaelangelo Antonini with Vanessa Redgrave, David Hemmings, Sarah Miles & Verushka.

2. Bullitt. Directed by Peter Yates with Steve McQueen, Jacqueline Bisset & Robert Vaughn.

3. Where Eagles Dare. Alistair MacLean story & screenplay. Directed by Brian G. Hutton with Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood & Mary Ure. “Broadsword calling Danny Boy, over.”

1. Written by Arthur C. Clarke, Directed by Stanley Kubrick with Kier Dullea & Gary Lockwood.

Candy. Written by Buck Henry & Terry Southern. Directed by Christian Marquand with Ewa Aulin, Richard Burton, Charles Aznavour, James Coburn, Walter Matthau, John Huston, Ringo Starr, John Austin & Marlon Brando.

Bonnie & Clyde. Directed by Arthur Penn with Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway & Michael J. Pollard.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. From the novel by Carson McCullers. Directed by Robert Ellis Miller with Alan Arkin & Sandra Locke.

Capricious Summer. Directed by Jiri Menzel with Rudolf Hrusinsky & Mila Myslikova.

Downhill Racer. Directed by Michael Ritchie with Robert Redford & Gene Hackman.

The Night They Raided Minsky’s. Written by Arnold Schulman & Sidney Michaels (screenplay). Directed by William Friedkin with Jason Robards, Britt Ekland, Norman Wisdom.

1. Easy Rider. Directed by Dennis Hopper with Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper & Jack Nicholson. Still the greatest road movie of all time.

2. The Wild Bunch. Directed by Sam Peckinpah with William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan & Edmond O’Brien.

3. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. Directed by George Roy Hill with Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Katharine Ross & Strother Martin.

4. The Battle of Britain. Directed by Guy Hamilton with Harry Andrews, Michael Caine, Trevor Howard, John Geilguld, Kurt Jurgens.Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer & Susannah Yorke.

Zulu. Directed by Cy Enfield with Michael Caine, Stanley Baker & Jack Hawkins.

True Grit. Directed by Henry Hathaway with John Wayne & Glen Campbell.

Midnight Cowboy. Directed by John Schlesinger with Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight & Sylvia Miles.

The Magic Christian. Written by Terry Southern & Joseph McGrath. Directed by Joseph McGrath with Peter Sellers, Ringo Starr, Isabel Jeans, Richard Attenborough, Laurence Harvey, Spike Milligan, Christopher Lee & Raquel Welch.

5 Likes

Great list, I’ll have to seek some of these out.

They had movies in the 60s? i thought you all put your togas on and go to the amphitheatre.

Some of them even had sound.

Allegedly.

I enjoy these lists. Thanks swoodley, nice one.

Not attempting a list of “best” movies here. Most of these choices I watched as a kid so they are the ones that have stuck with me as favourites.

1960 Swiss Family Robinson
1961 The Absent-Minded Professor
1962 Dr No
1963 The Pink Panther
1964 Mary Poppins
1965 The Sound of Music
1966 Fantastic Voyage
1967 The Graduate
1968 2001 : A Space Odyssey
1969 Battle of Britain

2 Likes

And that is the intent of the list…I know that the “experts” might not agree with my selections, but they’re the movies that I liked the most from each year.

So well played Sir.

(PS: I almost put Fantastic Voyage down but it scared the hell out me as a kid and I can’t remember the last time I watched it whereas I still regularly sit down and watch The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)

1 Like

If anyone needs it, this website is a fast easy way to check films by year and rating to remind yourself of what came out:

http://www.films101.com/years.htm

3 Likes

Well I’ve gone to @mrjez’ Films 101 site for the years that films were released, and I’ve put together a series of my best films of each of the years. Then I’ve followed @swoodley’s instruction to choose my personal favourite from each year and marked those with an asterisk. Once or twice I haven’t been able to separate a couple of films from the same year that I’ve really loved. This is the result.

Favourite: The Apartment
Also: Inherit the Wind, Psycho

Favourite: Whistle Down the Wind
Also: West Side Story, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Guns of Navarone

Favourite: To Kill a Mockingbird
Also: Lolita, Lawrence of Arabia, Le procès de Jeanne d’Arc (Trial of Joan of Arc)

Favourite: Le Mépris (Contempt)
Also: Tom Jones, The Leopard, The Great Escape, Lord of the Flies

Favourite: Les parapluies de Cherbourg (Umbrellas of Cherbourg), Seven Days in May
Also: Dr Strangelove, Topkapi, World of Henry Orient, La Peau Douce (Soft Skin)

Favourite: The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
Also: The Ipcress File, The Sound of Music, Dr Zhivago, Battle of Algiers, Repulsion

Favourite: Un homme et une femme (A Man and a Woman)
Also: Blow Up, War and Peace

1967 (great year)
Favourite: The Graduate, In the Heat of the Night, Don’t Look Back
Bonnie and Clyde, Belle de Jour, Le Samouraï, In Cold Blood

Favourite: Rosemary’s Baby, Bullitt
Also: 2001, Stolen Kisses, Oliver, Romeo and Juliet, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Boston Strangler, Les Biches (The Fauns), The Party, Monterey Pop

1969 (another great year)
Favourite: Le chagrin et la pitié (The Sorrow and the Pity), Easy Rider, Alice’s Restaurant
Also: The Wild Bunch, Midnight Cowboy, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, L’Armée des Ombres (Army of Shadows), The Damned, La femme infidèle (The Unfaithful Wife), True Grit, Medium Cool, Battle of Britain

1 Like

It wasn’t the 60’s without an Elvis movie !

Never seen more than a couple of minutes of an Elvis movie, and l never will.