Favourite Movie From Each Year Of The 1970s

So…2nd thread in the Favourite Movie Series.

This one is for the 1970s

The rules are simple…if you’re not sure or don’t have one for a particular year, just leave it blank.

And no fence sitting allowed…no double/triple entries…make a decision!!! :wink: (or not as seems to be the case with some dedicated movie followers)

So here’s my effort:

1970 Kelly’s Heroes - I’ve always loved this movie and I still try to watch at least once a year

1971 Dirty Harry - What can I say, I’m a huge fan of Clint

1972 The Life And Times of Judge Roy Bean

1973 The Exorcist - I still remember seeing this at the cinema and being scared sh*tless

1974 Blazing Saddles

1975 Jaws - Another one that scared the pants of me

1976 The Outlaw Josey Wales - Clint again :wink:

1977 Star Wars

1978 Midnight Express

1979 Apocalypse Now

2 Likes

1970 - Kelly’s Heroes

1971 - Dirty Harry

1972 - The Godfather

1973 - Serpico

1974 - The Godfather Part II

1975 - Jaws

1976 - Rocky

1977 - Star Wars

1978 - Halloween

1979 - Apocalypse Now/ Mad Max/ The Warriors (Edit: Thx, @Preliminary_Point2 - had forgotten about that one. Has to be mentioned. @swooper - I am keen to buy your vinyl soundtrack - if you ever choose to sell it :wink:). Fence-sitting for ‘79, Swoods.

1 Like

1971 A Clockwork Orange
1972 The Godfather
1973 Soylent Green
1974 Godfather II
1975 Rocky Horror Picture Show
1976 Taxi Driver
1977 Star Wars
1978 Halloween
1979 Life of Brian/Mad Max

None for 1970.
Wish I could have just made it ten 1975 films.

1970 - Patton
1971 - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
1972 - The Godfather
1973 - Mean Streets
1974 - The Conversation
1975 - Dog Day Afternoon
1976 - Taxi Driver
1977 - Annie Hall
1978 - Dawn of the Dead
1979 - Alien

1 Like

1970’s Films

1970’s Films

1. Zabriskie Point. Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni with Rod Taylor.

2. Performance. Directed by Nicholas Roeg with James Fox, Mick Jagger & Anita Pallenburg.

3. Little Murders. Written by Jules Feiffer and based on his play. Directed by Alan Arkin with Elliott Gould, Marcia Rodd, Donald Sutherland & Vincent Gardenia.

4. Patton. Written by Francis Ford Coppola. Directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, with George C. Scott & Karl Malden.

Where’s Poppa? Screenplay by Robert Klane. Directed by Carl Reiner with George Segal, Ruth Gordon & Ron Leibman. Think of this little comedy as a precursor to the ABC TV series, Mother & Son.

1. Vanishing Point. Directed by Richard C. Sarafian with Barry Newman, Cleavon Little & Charlotte Rampling. Close behind Easy Rider for the best road movie of all time. This film was the main source of inspiration for Tarantino’s ‘Death Proof.’

2. Catch 22. From the novel by Joseph Heller, screenplay by Buck Henry. Directed by Mike Nichols with Alan Arkin, Martin Balsam, Richard Benjamin, Art Garfunkel, Bob Newhart, Anthony Perkins & Orson Wells.

3. The French Connection 1. Screenplay by Ernest Tidyman. Directed by William Friedkin with Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider & Fernando Rey. The film that made Hackman’s career playing the inimitable Popeye Doyle, and featuring a frenetic car chase sequence, that set the bar for all other movie car chases and has never been surpassed.

4. Two Lane Blacktop. Directed by Monty Hellman with James Taylor, Warren Oates, Laurie Bird & Dennis Wilson. Yes, that James Taylor and that Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys. Another classic road movie.

Klute. Written by Andy Lewis & David E. Lewis. Directed by Alan J. Pakula with Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland & Charles Cioffi.

Adam Resurrected. Directed by Paul Schrader with Jeff Goldblum, Willem Dafoe & Derek Jacobi.

Walkabout. Directed by Nicholas Roeg with Jenny Agutter & David Gulpilil.

Dirty Harry. Harry Julian Fink (screenplay), Rita M. Fink (screenplay) Directed by Don Siegel with Clint Eastwood, Andrew Robinson & Harry Guardino.

1. The Godfather Part 1. Written by Mario Puzo (screenplay) & Francis Ford Coppola (screenplay). Directed by Francis Ford Coppola with Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Richard Conte, Diane Keaton, Sterling Hayden & Robert Duvall.

2. The Ruling Class. Witten by Peter Barnes (screenplay & play). Directed by Peter Medak with Peter O’Toole, Alastair Sim, Harry Andrews & Arthur Lowe. In case anyone is wondering Peter O’Toole is my favourite actor of all time. This is just one example of his excellence.

3. Cabaret. Joe Masteroff (based on the musical play "Cabaret" book by), John Van Druten(based on the play by) Directed by Bob Fosse with Liza Minnelli, Michael York, Helmut Griem

4. The Dawns Here Are Quiet. Russian production. Directed by Stanislav Rostotsky with Andrei Martynov, Olga Ostroumova, lrina Shevchuk, Yelena Drapeko, lrina Dolganaova, Yekaterina Markova & Alla Meshcheryakova.

The Getaway. Directed by Sam Peckinpah with Steve McQueen, Ali McGraw & Ben Johnson.

Deliverance. Directed by John Boorman with Burt Reynolds, Jon Voight, Ronny Cox & Ned Beaty.

Revolution. (aka Duck, You Sucker). Directed by Sergio Leone with Rod Steiger & James Coburn.

1. The Last Detail. Written by Robert Towne (screenplay), Darryl Ponicsan (novel). Directed by Hal Ashby with Jack Nicholson, Randy Quaid, Otis Young & Carol Kane.

2. A Touch of Class. Co – written and directed by Melvin Frank with George Segal, Glenda Jackson & Paul Sorvino.

3. Don’t Look Now. Written by Daphne Du Maurier (story), Allan Scott (screenplay). Directed by Nicolas Roeg with Julie Christie, Donald Sutherland & Hilary Mason.

4. Papilon. Written by Dalton Trumbo (screenplay). Directed by Franklin J. Schaffner with Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman & Victor Jory.

Major Hubal. Directed by Bohdan Poreba with Ryszard Filipski, Matgorzata Potocka, Tadeusz Janczar, Zygmunt Malanowicz, Stamslaw Niwinski & Jan Stawarz.

Magnum Force. Written by Ted Post, Harry Julian Fink & Rita M. Fink. With Clint Eastwood, Hal Holbrook, David Soul & Mitchell Ryan.

1. The Godfather Part II. Written by Francis Ford Coppola & Mario Puzo. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola with Al Pacino, Robert De Niro & Robert Duvall.

2. The Conversation. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola with Gene Hackman, John Cazale, Cindy Williams, Frederic Forrest & Harrison Ford.

3. Chinatown. Directed by Roman Polanski with Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway & John Houston.

4. The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. Written and directed by Werner Herzog with Bruno S., Walter Ladengast & Brigitte Mira.

The Parallax View. Directed by Alan J. Pakula with Warren Beaty.

Benjie. Written & directed by Joe Camp with Peter Breck, Deborah Walley & Patsy Garrett.

Sugarland Express. Directed by Steven Spielberg with Goldie Hawn, Ben Johnson, Michael Sacks & William Atherton

1. The Man in the Glass Booth. Directed by Arthur Hillier with Maximilian Schell, Lois Nettleton, Lawrence Pressman, Luther Adler & Lloyd Bochner.

2. The Passenger. Written by Mark Peploe. Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni with Jack Nicholson, Maria Schneider & Jenny Runacre.

3. The French Connection 2. Written by Alexander Jacobs & Robert Dillon (screenplay). Directed by John Frankenheimer with Gene Hackman, Fernando Rey & Bernard Fresson. One of those rare occasions where the sequel was every bit as gripping as the original especially the last scene.

4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Lawrence Hauben & Bo Goldman (screenplay). Directed by Milos Foreman. Milos Forman with Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, Brad Dourff & Will Sampson.

Le Miroir. (aka Zerkalo). Co – written by Aleksandr Misharin & Andrei Tarkovsky. Directed by Andrei Tarkovski with Margarita Terekhova, Filipp Yankovskiy, Ignat Daniltsev.

The Offence. Written by Alan Hopkins. Directed by Sidney Lumet with Sean Connery, Trevor Howard & Ian Bannen.

They Fought For Their Homeland. Based on the novel by Mikhail Sholokhov. Screenplay and direction by Sergei Bondarchuk with Vasili Shukshin, Vyaheslav Tikhonov, Sergei Bondarchuk, Georgi Burkov, Nikolai Gubenko.

Rollerball. Written by William Harrison (screenplay). Directed by Norman Jewison with James Caan, John Houseman, Maud Adams. |

Dersu Uzala. Directed by Akira Kurosawa with Yuri Solomin & Maksim Murzuk, Suimenkul Chokmorov & Svetlana Danilchenko.

Dog Day Afternoon. Directed by Sidney Lumet with Al Pacino, John Cazale & Harry Hamlin.

1. Sholay. Directed by Ramesh Sippy with Dhamendra, Sanjeev Kumar, Hema Malini, Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bhadur & Amjad Khan. The first Bollywood epic l ever saw, it is a giddy mixture of styles and blends, from action and drama to comedy, with tons of pathos plus the obligatory musical number. In the end it works, gloriously.

2. All the President’s Men. Directed by Alan J, Pakula with Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman, Martin Balsam & Jason Robards.

3. In the Realm of the Senses (aka Ai no Korida). Written & directed by Nagisa Oshima with Tatsuya Fuji, Eiko Matsuda & Aoi Nakajima.

1. Written by Franco Arcalli & Giuseppe Bertolucci screenplay. Directed by Bernardo Bertolucci with Robert De Niro, Gérard Depardieu, Dominique Sanda & Donald Sutherland.

1. The Duellists. Written by Gerald Vaughan-Hughes (screenplay) & Joseph Conrad (story "The Duel"). Directed by Ridley Scott with Keith Carradine, Harvey Keitel. Cristina Raines & Albert Finney. Theatrical feature film debut of Director Ridley Scott who won the Best First Film Award at the 30th Cannes Film Festival in 1977. This film is a personal favourite and sits in my all time top 5.

2. Slap Shot. Written by Nancy Dowd. Directed by George Roy Hill with Paul Newman, Michael Ontkean & Strother Martin.

3. Soldier of Orange. Written by Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema & Kees Holierhoek. Directed by Paul Verhoeven with Rutger Hauer, Jeroen Krabbé & Susan Penhaligon. |

4. Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope. Directed by George Lucas with Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Luke Hammill & Alec Guiness.

Man of Marble. Written by Aleksander Scibor – Rylski. Directed by Andrzeja Wajdy, with Jerzy Radziwitowicz, Krystyna Janda, Tadeusz Komnicki & Jacek Komnicki

Annie Hall. Co - written & directed by Woody Allen with Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts, Carol Kane, Paul Simon & Shelley Duvall.

1. The Tin Drum. Directed by Volker Schlondorff with David Bennent, Angela Winkler, Maria Adorf & Katharina Thalback.

2. The Tree of Wooden Clogs. Written and directed by Ermanno Olmi with Luigi Ornaghi, Francesca Moriggi & Omar Brignoli.

3. Days of Heaven. Written and directed by Terrence Malick with Richard Gere, Brooke Adams & Sam Shepard. |

4. The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith. Written by Thomas Keneally novel & Fred Schepisi screenplay and direction with Tommy Lewis, Freddy Reynolds & Angela Punch McGregor. |

1. Apocalypse Now. Based on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Written and directed by Francis Ford Coppola with Martin Sheen, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Timothy Bottoms, Frederick Forrest, Lawrence Fishbourne, Harrison Ford & Dennis Hopper. My favourite movie of all time.

2. Life of Brian. Written by the Pythons and directed by Terry Jones with Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam & Michael Palin.

3. Play Dirty. Screenplay by Lotte Colin & Melvin Bragg. Directed by Andre De Toth with Michael Caine, Nigel Davenport, Nigel Green & Harry Andrews.

4. Alien. Written by Dan O’Bannon & Ronald Shusett story. Directed by Ridley Scott with Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, John Hurt, Ian Holm & Yaphett Kotto.

1941.Written by Robert Zemeckis, Bob Gale & John Milius. Directed by Steven Speilberg with John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Ned Beatty & Robert Stack.

Quadrophenia. Adaptation of the rock opera by Pete Townshend. Directed by with Phil Daniels & Leslie Ash.

5 Likes

Great stuff, CJ.

I almost went with Deer Hunter in ‘78, but Halloween is a cult classic that I couldn’t ignore.

BTW, I’ve thrown the towel in re: your request. Can’t track that movie down anywhere. @mrjez may be able to assist.

Sorry, what was the request?

excuse me? Aristocats is one of the greatest family movies of all time.

lol.
I actually think it’s one of the worst Disney features ever.
Along with The Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood.

Jeez, this one will be difficult… though I think @Captain_Jack has mentioned many of my picks.

Will readdress in the morrow.

1 Like

Hmm, the voting so far seems to be heavily influenced by looking in the rear view mirror, rather than what the favourite movie was to the poster at each of the years in '70s as they happened.

@swoodley: please advise of how you intend the voting should be: retrospective or contemporaneous.

Also, very disappointed at the current lack of nominations for Australian movies of the '70s.

I said Mad Max!

Edit: Storm Boy, Blue Fin, Mad Dog Morgan and Little Boy Lost wouldn’t cut it.
And Dusty won’t either.

1 Like

I voted on what my favourite movie is as I see it now, and that is how I would expect most people to vote,

A lot of posters may not have even been around in the 70s so it would be hard for them to vote on their favourite movie at the time.

Having said that, I think it’s up to the individual to select the ones they want to select…it’s their favourites after all.

1 Like

1970 - Love Story
1971 - Dirty Harry
1972 - The Getaway
1973 - Magnum Force
1974 - Blazing Saddles
1975 - Jaws
1976 - Taxi Driver
1977 - Star Wars
1978 - Big Wednesday
1979 - Being There

1970 - Catch 22 / Five Easy Pieces
1971 - Carnal Knowledge / Wake in Fright/ Klute / Death in Venice
1972 - Solaris (Tarkovsky) / Godfather / Slaughterhouse Five
1973 - The Last Detail/ The Sting / The Exorcist
1974 - The Conversation / Parallax View
1975 - Dog Day Afternoon / Cuckoos Nest / Holy Grail / The Mirror / Godfather II
1976 - Taxi Driver / All the Presidents Men
1977 - Eraserhead / Annie Hall
1978 - Deer Hunter / Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith / The Tin Drum
1979 - Apocalypse Now / Life Of Brian / Being There

Wow, such an amazing decade for film. Arguably the best. Along with Sunset Blvd., Catch 22 is my favourite film ever, (also favourite book). I watch both of them a number of times a year.

2 Likes

1970 Patton
1971 Dirty Harry
1972 The Godfather
1973 Badlands
1974 Chinatown
1975 Picnic at Hanging Rock
1976 Taxi Driver
1977 Star Wars
1978 Days of Heaven
1979 Apocalypse Now

2 Likes

I think it has to be, otherwise you’re locked in to something reflective of age and what you’d been exposed to at the time.

1970 Mash
1971 A clockwork orange
1972 Godfather
1973 Enter the Dragon
1974 The Godfather 2
1975 Jaws
1976 Rocky
1977 Star Wars
1978 the 36th Chamber of Shaolin
1979 The Warriors*

*OK it’s not really the best in 1979 but I’m voting for it anyway.

1 Like

And honourable mention to Shaft 1971. For the blaxploitation movies, Tarantino and all the amazing music that genre produced and subsequently sampled.

3 Likes

It’s your favourite, not best. The Warriors will be rounding out my list if I get around to it. Love Mad Max and Apocalypse Now, but I love The Warriors more.

2 Likes