1972 - The Poseidon Adventure
1973 - American Graffiti
1974 - Blazing Saddles
1975 - Jaws & Holy Grail (can’t split)
1976 - Midway
1977 - Star Wars
1978 - Animal House
1979 - Life of Brian

I think I need to see Paton, only one I havent seen but it seems a universal choice.

80’s is going to be real difficult for me. I think I need 2 lists. Top ten children/teen films and top 10 adult films.

1 Like

A vast percentage of the forum wouldn’t be able to vote without looking back. I dare say most wouldn’t have been born for several decades later.

I couldn’t give a “live” vote until 1977 (Star Wars) , which I clearly do remember. I’d vote Deer Hunter for 78 but didn’t see it until late 1980’s.

1970 - Soldier Blue

1971 - A Clockwork Orange

1972 - Cabaret

1973 - The Exorcist

1974 - Chinatown

1975 - Holy Grail

1976 - Marathon Man

Nothing for 1977

1978 - Midnight Express

1979 - Life of Brian

1970 - A Man Called Horse
1971 - Dirty Harry
1972 - Deliverance
1973 - The Exorcist (very tough year)
1974 - Blazing Saddles
1975 - Monty Python Holy Grail
1976 - Rocky
1977 - Star Wars (There were other movies released in 1977?)
1978 - Grease (another really tough year, but I’m a sucker for musicals)
1979 - The Odd Angry Shot

2 Likes

Sucker for musicals, hey?

You could argue there are two in my list that work as musicals, Blazing Saddles and Grease.

1 Like

Not the most high-brow selection from me. I am a simple man.

1970 - Airport
1971 - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
1972 - The Poseidon Adventure
1973 - The Exorcist
1974 - The Man With The Golden Gun
1975 - The Rocky Horror Picture Show
1976 - Rocky
1977 - Star Wars
1978 - Foul Play
1979 - The Amityville Horror

1970 - Kelly’s Heroes
1971 - The French Connection
1972 - The Godfather
1973 - The Exorcist
1974 - The Conversation
1975 - Jaws
1976 - Taxi Driver
1977 - Star Wars
1978 - Halloween
1979 - Alien

Just to add to that we have to remember that movies used to take a few months after the US to be released here. Star wars for example premiered in May 1977 but wasn’t shown in Australia until the end of October & was still showing in theatres well into 1978 so its very likely that people didn’t see some of these movies until the year after their official release dates.

From my list I only saw 4 of those movies in the 70’s & probably only Star Wars at the cinema on its 1st release.

I’m one of the old buggers who saw most of my selections live. I think that’s why some of them have stuck with me more than “better” movies that I would have seen on TV or video later.

I remember after watching Rocky at the local theatre, my mate and I were so pumped that we ran all the way home, stopping to run up any steps we found along the way to prance around with fists raised aloft.

I was too young to see the Exorcist on its release, and came to love Rocky Horror later on in life when going to special screenings where everyone dressed up, and came with props like rice to throw into the air at the wedding scene, and water pistols to create an authentic rainstorm effect. The soundtrack still gets a workout to this day.

It was a great era for movies. Every six months there’d be a new disaster movie out. Various Airport movies, Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, Towering Inferno etc. Plus movies that terrified me. The Exorcist plus Amityville Horror made my list, but Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Rollerball, The Omen, Jaws and Carrie made me jump and scream in the dark while trying desperately to appear cool and unfazed to my mates.

Happy days.

4 Likes

Petersen, Libido, Alvin Purple, Patrick, …

1 Like

I saw each of mine in the cinema when they were released.

Honestly surprised I see so many people nominate horror films; love my horror but thought I would be in a minority.

I almost went with Suspiria for ‘77, that would’ve been another.

1 Like

The Rocky Horror show gained a cult following at the Valhalla cinema, as it was played there at midnight on a Friday, for what seemed like years. People used to go regularly to see it every week, some dressed up in costume and make up. High camp entertainment. went one Friday night so see what the fuss was all about, that’s the only time l have seen the movie. The stage version was more impressive.

2 Likes

Pffft! Not surprised in the slightest.

When they do the 2000’s and 2010’s, it’ll be all fantasy and superheroes.

What? No Korean films!!!

1 Like

So anyone own up to seeing Deepthroat or Deebie Does Dallas in a cinema.

1 Like