Favourite Movie From Each Year Of The 1990s

I reckon DKR is bog average. And I loved loved loved the other two

It is,

But

It’s a superhero movie and it’s still better than 90% of superhero movies. Bane is great, some of the scenes are great. It’s just not the masterpiece that Dark Knight is. It craps all over Ben Affleck or George Clooney Batman.

1 Like

Agree it was better than most superhero movies, no doubt, but Bane sucks and the plot was stupid and the ending was stupid and it was 40 minutes too long and and and and etc

For me, it was exactly what i expected - the movie that they were forced to make instead of the movie they wanted to make before Ledger died. I think I’ll always wonder how good that movie might have been

Roma is good…on at the moment and nominated for a few upcoming awards.

Yeah, I really wish I could see it, but seeing foreign language films whilst living in Japan and having to read subtitles in kanji, I always need to wait for a dvd torrent or something.

Netflix if you have it, you can choose the subtitle language.

Cheers, I really need to set myself up properly to watch stuff one day. No time… toddlers… something something…

1 Like

I have both on DVD in my library, and rate them both highly.

1 Like

Rises was always going to be the hardest gig after knight.

The prison stuff was daft. I was annoyed at the end when he couldn’t quite finish of bane.

English / Foreign

1990: Misery / La Femme Nikita
1991: The Fisher King / Delicatessen
1992: The Crying Game / A Heart in Winter
1993: Schindler’s List / Farewell My Concubine
1994: Once Were Warriors / Three Colours Red
1995: The Usual Suspects / Au Petit Marguery
1996: Big Night / Kolya
1997: Good Will Hunting / Insomnia
1998: My Name is Joe / The Dinner Game
1999: The Insider / Gloomy Sunday

3 Likes

The only Nolan film I haven’t seen is following, got it on DVD but haven’t watched it yet. Imo he has not made a poor film yet.

3 Likes

The insider is such an underrated movie,just brilliant. Pacino and Crowe both at their best

1 Like

1990 - Goodfellas
1991 - The Silence of the Lambs
1992 - The Last of the Mohicans
1993 - Schindlers List
1994 - Leon the Professional
1995 - Seven/Heat
1996 - Fargo
1997 - The Game
1998 - The Thin Red Line
1999 - Magnolia

3 Likes

I just remember the tension building throughout the movie. And no matter what you think of Crowe - he put in a period of outstanding acting performances in the 90’s.

I just realised there is another absolute classic that was released that year. Wag The Dog. An brilliant movie that is as relevant today as it was when it was made.

It’s actually quite incredible that with Gattaca and The Castle, three of my top 5 movies ever were released in the same year.

1990 - Total Recall
1991 - Toy Soldiers
1992 - Wayne’s World
1993 - Groundhog Day (geez this year was tough to pick)
1994 - hmmm do I portray myself as a connoisseur by going Shawshank Redemption or do I pick my actual favourite Dumb & Dumber?
1995 - Apollo 13
1996 - Independence Day
1997 - The Castle
1998 - Truman Show
1999 - Office Space (fuarrrk another cracking year)

1 Like

1990; Total Recall

1991: JFK - back, and to the left.

1992: The Mighty Ducks

1993: Jurassic Park

1994: Shawshank Redemption

1995: Dead Man Walking

1996: A Time to Kill

1997: Fifth Element

1998: American History X

1999: Cruel Intentions / Varsity Blues.

Also @Captain_Jack Napoleon Dynamite certainly wasn’t 1996. (2004)

2 Likes

Hanabi (1997) is a personal favourite…I don’t think anyone has mentioned it.

1 Like

One I’d forgotten about is Highway 61, a Canadian dark comedy from 1991.

1 Like

You are right, no one has mentioned it. l haven’t seen it, but it is written and directed by Takeshi, a person l rate highly. Sounds great, l will be investigating how to find it.

1 Like