Favourite Obscure Albums

Oopsie… you’re quite right, it was Wire, not Can, they cribbed from…

1 Like

Here’s a band from @StealthBomber neck of the woods. Used to be played a lot in the mid 1980s at parties in the Essendon area.
Has a couple of rippers in Every Time I Touch You & a great cover of Let It All Hang Out

Where these guys a Trustkill band?

Oh, I was almost gonna post this! 88 Lines About 44 Women is a classic.

1 Like

No Roadrunner Records.

You like fuzz? I love fuzz

Here…have some Fuzz.

4 Likes

Glad you dropped by Doggy.
You were one of the people I was thinking of when I set the thread up.
I knew there’d be more than a few lesser known goodies in that famous mancave that you’d want to shine a light on…

Yeah, I got on late to the first album thread. Read through it. Saw some pearlers. I felt like there was not much I could offer. Are You Experienced, Led Zeppelin 1, Bleach ect ect. All mentioned. Countless others. Hard to add to it when you get in late.

But man, Obscure Albums…endless possibilities…

3 Likes

Does Silver Apples count as obscure?

Give “Oscillations” a spin (I remember it was one of the first tracks I tried out in DJ King) and revel in it being made by two dudes in 1968.

To me, yes…I had to google the term to see if you were referring to an album, artist or band.

But I think that a lot of stuff you listen to would be obscure to me given your greater knowledge of less well known acts.

1 Like

Toad. From Switzerland. 1970…or 71, not sure off the top of my head.

I need to show restraint in this thread. The late 60s and early 70s are a gold mine of riffs, fuzz and weirdness Im really obsessed with, but most are relatively unaware of.

Take a breath dogga…relax…show self control.

PS

@swoodley i just picked up orang-utan on record this week. Timely suggestion by you.

6 Likes

@Doggatron …you might like this youtube channel…there’s a lot of pretty obscure stuff from the late 60s to early mid 70s here.

There are gems to be found if you have the time and patience. :laughing:

1 Like

Great album. New Riverside album due out soon too

1 Like

Spent some time in France about 15 years ago, it was over there I discovered what was referred to often as Cold Wave. Basically Euro, mainly French and Wallonian bands who took the atmospherics and aesthetic from say Cure ‘A Forest’ as their spin on post punk, weren’t afraid to use synths liberally. Curiously named Charles De Goal, their debut LP holds up on its own. The French didn’t particularly take up ‘76 era punk from across the Channel or the Atlantic, despite cartoon efforts of Téléphone (who weren’t necessarily punk as such anyway, more the French Status Quo). The Frankophones made more a mark made with what came later. Including this with what appears to be the Yamaha logo imposed.

2 Likes

From a young age, I was always intrigued by the soundtrack to a late 80’s skate video named ‘Shackle Me Not’ which is now viewed as a legendary early display of street skating as that scene transitioned from being vert and ramp focused onto the street landscape. An official soundtrack to the video was released, this featured bands who were friends and locals (from San Diego) but it didn’t cover lots of segues, skipped songs completely and wasn’t comprehensive. So I was thrilled when Shazam actually worked for once in finding me a very obscure Brazilian band who featured during Tony Magnusson’s part. Thusly I was officially exposed to super obscure, short lived Sao Paolo post punk band Voluntarios da Patria and their ST release, all in Portuguese of which I don’t understand a lick of. A one off before they split, sounds very much like 1984 with a dose of those 10:15 Saturday Night guitar harmonics chiming.

2 Likes

Got this one. Great album.

1 Like

CB
LH
Cactus_(album)_-Cactus-_Cover
FD

Captain Beyond were a ‘supergroup’ of sorts. Formed in 1971, featuring original Deep Purple vocalist Rod Evans, Larry ‘Rhino’ Reinhardt (guitar), Lee Dorman (bass), both formerly of Iron Butterfly, and ex-Johnny Winter Band drummer, Bobby Caldwell. The debut album (1972) is a prime slice of early 70s hard/prog/space rock filled with great hooks and riffing.

Leaf Hound - Growers Of Mushroom (1971):
Leaf Hound were a hard/blues/acid/ psych rock band from London, formed in 1969. Growers Of Mushroom is considered one of the earliest ‘stoner rock’ albums. Worth a listen if you’re into early 70s guitar rock.

Cactus - Self Titled (1970):
One of my favourite bands. Formed by Tim Bogert (bass), and Carmine Appice (drums) both formerly of Vanilla Fudge, Cactus were a tough blues/boogie rock band who could stand toe to toe with any hard rock band of the era. They excelled in the live environment. Great band.

Fuzzy Duck - Self Titled (1971)
Another London band, Fuzzy Duck were a short lived (1970-'71) hard/prog band, releasing one album before disbanding.

4 Likes

Excellent selection. I have this one also. Been awhile since i gave it a spin.

1 Like

Leaf Hound and Cactus are favourites of mine. Excellent records.

1 Like

Surely a play on Charles De Gaulle, former French President and the man after whom the main airport in Paris is named.