Favourite Obscure Albums

Oh man. this Thread is awesome. so many new albums to check out.

ill drop YMO in here :point_down:

2 Likes

70s Danish band who played meat and potatoes rock and roll and were a lot of fun.

They recorded a song with one of the longest titles of any tune in my collection, the wigged out “It Was Inga, Katinka And Groovy Charlie On His Harley”.

Clearly, but I’ve always wondered what the Goal part was referring to. Just a play on words.

1 Like

I plundered cold wave some years back, but not sure if I ever gave the Charles De Goal album a listen. Thanks, I’ll try it.

1 Like

Nah, nuts to that! I heartily encourage you, me and all to “let our freaks flags fly” in here. We’ve all got records in our collections we’re convinced no-one else bought (and we can’t work out why…) Shine a light on 'em, go ahead and give 'em some time in the spotlight!

Others are ably covering the 60’s and 70’s, so I’ll give some airtime to a couple of 00’s favourites…

UTruth
Restrained, laidback melancholy mining similar territory to Crowded House or (speaking of under-rated acts) Michael Penn. A defunct trio led by Thom Yorke’s brother (who has a much less pained vocal delivery).

Millionaire
Stylistically all over the shop. One minute sounding like Prince, the next like The Stooges. Dark electronica fused with scratchy funk guitar at times, then stoner-rock at others. It’s difficult to rule a straight-line through, and it doesn’t always work, but you have to admire Belgian bands for regularly marching to their own beat.

4 Likes

Did you ever try this comp on Soul Jazz?
It doesn’t have that band you mention, but I remember the comp being pretty good.

Very nice Asylum Party track… liked that a lot!

1 Like

Nice. My fave YMO records are Technopolis and BGM. “Key” and “Ballet” are fantastic tracks.

Nah, but cheers. It’s always great finding stuff from outside the English speaking bubble, from cities or countries where scenes existed so independently prior to the interwebz. I’ll be onto that one though for sure.

1 Like

Not sure if this still qualifies as obscure as it had an unearthing. It was released in 1972, a sort of folk samba thing. Arthur Verocai’s only release, he gave up and went into advertising making jingles. Largely ignored possibly until it was sampled by MF DOOM in the early 2000’s and brought to a wider audience for a cult following. It’s an interesting mix of styles.

Soul Jazz Records is a fantastic label. Lot of great compilations.

1 Like

I’m enjoying the Fuzzy Duck recommendation from above at the moment… v.nice!

Inspired by that I will add an early 70’s album to the pile… Patto’s eponymous album…

I’ve always loved the track The Man in particular… that outro!!!

2 Likes

Probably a bit more known now but still obscure by most metrics and learningz. Good story and all the albums are nice, this one has High on a Rocky Ledge which is just beautiful

Really like Riverside. Looking forward to the new album. New track is good.

Basically my history was Death metal → Opeth → progressive → Riverside → Lunatic Soul.

1 Like

I think I’ve mentioned a few times on the Vinyl/Records thread my love of 70s Japanese music. Heres a few titles covering rock, jazz and funk.

51cg-+GdBkL.SY580

I dont think all of the titles are available on spoify but they certainly are on youtube.

There is an extraordinary amount of wonderful music spanning those genres from Japan during the 70s. Im somewhat obsessed with it. Strangely, from what Ive read (this maybe incorrect) current Japan doesn’t really embrace their own past attempts at the genres regardless of how great they are. However HMV Japan have been re-releasing a lot of titles over the last few years.

The records are all quite expensive (old ones and the new ones) but they are immaculately pressed and sound amazing.

Well worth the dive if anyone is curious.

2 Likes

A few more from my collection:

Death_Walks_Behind_You
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You (1970):
Relatively unknown outside their England homeland, Atomic Rooster were a great hard/prog band of the early 70s. This, in my opinion, is their best work. Title track is a killer, other highlight here is the organ driven instrumental ‘Vug’, Vincent Crane laying down an infectious groove.

Lucifer’s Friend - Self Titled (1970):
From Hamburg, Germany, Lucifer’s Friend debut is a cracking affair. ‘Ride The Sky’, complete with french horn, is a beast of a tune. The catalogue after the first album is all over the place, drifting into jazz fusion - not my cup of tea - but the first album rocks - full of crunchy riffs and heavy organ. Singer John Lawton would go on to replace David Byron in Uriah Heep, recording 3 albums.

BlueCheerVincebusEruptum
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum (1968):
A primitive, raw, crude cacophony of noise. Pre-dating Black Sabbath’s debut by 2 years, Vincebus Eruptum is regarded by some as the first heavy metal album ever made. Highlight on this one, Blue Cheer crank up the volume and fuzz, transforming Eddie Cochrane’s 50s rocker ‘Summertime Blues’ into a monster.

Kahvas Jute - Wide Open (1971):
Great Aussie prog/psych rock band. Kahvas Jute recorded one album. Bassist Bob Daisley would go on to have stints with Ritchie Blackmore and Ronnie James Dio in Rainbow, and Ozzy Osbourne. Standout track -‘Parade Of Fools’

Frijid_Pink_Album
Frijid Pink - Self Titled (1970):
From Detroit, highlight of Frijid Pink’s debut is a fuzz drenched cover of The Animals’ classic ‘House Of The Rising Sun’

WH
Warhorse - Self Titled (1970):
After getting the elbow from the original Deep Purple line up, bassist Nick Simper formed Warhorse, recording 2 albums. Described by some as a ‘poor man’s Deep Purple’, nevertheless, the Warhorse debut rocks hard. ‘Ritual’, ‘Vulture Blood’, and a rocking cover of The Easybeats ‘St.Louis’ are the standout cuts.

Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations (1980):
Diamond Head were a part of the ‘New Wave Of British Heavy Metal’ - or NWOBHM - movement of the early 80s. A great band that didn’t quite make it due to poor management. A huge influence on Metallica, these guys should’ve made it.

2 Likes

Never heard of Patto. Will check 'em out.

An under appreciated mid nineties Melbourne band that I could easily have put in the debut thread. Greasy, grungy, heavy rock.

Reeling off some utter stoner classics in that list. Excellent work.

1 Like

You and I have very similar music taste by the sound of it. If you like Blackwater Park era Opeth, check out the album Woe from An Abstract Illusion. It’s currently my album of the year